Sheffield United vs Spurs, PL, Sun Jan 17, 9 am ET

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Golara, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Son cuts into the middle, but his shot is diverted away for a corner.

2. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Attempts: 15-13
    On target: 5-5

3. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Egan booked for yet another foul on Kane.

4. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Bergie off for Moura, 87 mins.

5. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    3 added minutes

6. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Nice move from Moura and Son who tees up Kane but the King fires over.

7. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Son off for Vinicius

8. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    1 minute to go: Spurs fans - breathe...

9. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    With 7 seconds to go, a classic Jose sub, Sanchez comes on for Reguilon to shore up the defense.

10. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    FT 1-3, we go 4th for the time being.

11. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Pook will be happy to know that the Blades are on pace to shatter Derby County's PL low of 11 points.

soccernutter repped this.
  12. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Much better performance than Fulham, but irritatingly we switched off at the start of the second half and allowed them back in the game until Ndombele's brilliance settled the argument.

13. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Yes, came out sleepwalking on defense in second half. Good response after conceding, though. I thought Ndombele had been having a quiet game up until then, but he finished strong. Good game by Bergwijn, too, other than slack defending on the conceded goal..

14. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Indeed. Of course, things were even better before they sneaked that 1-nil win over a ten-men Newcastle the other day. Still, record-breaking wretchedness or not, the main thing is that they go back down. Which seems fairly certain, at this point. :cool:

Actually, now that I think about it, I believe it was also Newcastle against whom Derby County got their single win in that record-low season. I can't be arsed to look it up, though, so I'm going to just assume it to be a fact.

15. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Two more quick Sheffield-related points about today's match:

1) SkySports color commentary was from David Prutton, who was a midfielder for Sheffield Wednesday back in the Milan Mandaric days. I'm trying to think of an analogous Spurs player to convey the sense of surprise, but I'm coming up empty.

2) Bramall Lane is a proper English football ground. I get loads of grief over there if I even hint at the fact, but it's true. In fact, it's not just decent ... it's better than that.

16. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    You're right, it was Newcastle!

17. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    You're right, part II: I think the Blades have been more affected than anyone else by the lack of fans - before lockdown, nobody fancied going there.

18. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    We don't play again until the 25th when we go to Wycombe in the FA Cup. A much needed rest for the lads as we have already played 31 fixtures in all competitions. However, it sets up a difficult stretch as we host Liverpool on the 28th, go to Brighton on the 31st and host Chelsea 3 days later on Feb. 3rd.

19. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    That's a good point. I remember them being poor after the quarantine delay last Spring. I'd put it down to them being safe in a season that started with the simple goal of survival. Some at Wednesday had said they were one-dimensional and would be sorted out by the second half of the season, which resonated, too. But this really makes sense, as well. It's had to have had a major affect.

20. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Also, Henderson going back to Man U was a big loss. Ramsdale is not a PL goalkeeper and it shows.

21. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    I remember Prutton with Southampton - I recall a certain game where he lost his rag against the Arse and got sent off. If ever there were a nailed on red it was that day...