Sheffield United v. QPR (Carling Cup -- 2nd Round) [R]

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Atouk, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yellow card on Sheffield United's Mark Rankine for an intentional foul to stop a QPR counter after we cleared a Blades corner.

Kevan Hurst on for Andy Parkinson for Sheffield United -- that's their last sub.

About 6 1/2 minutes left in normal time.

2. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We got a lucky offside call, according to the commentators, just now. When they got possession back, we then got a legit offside call.

Sheffield United is trying, but aren't putting us under too serious pressure -- we're holding a good amount of possession.

1 1/2 minutes plus added-on time to go.

3. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FINAL
    Sheffield United 0-2 QPR

Goals:
    Rowlands (30,45)

4. doolittledog2

doolittledog2 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Iowa
    Good job R's And they get done a whole 5 minutes before I have to leave for my inspection.

5. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rangers move into the final 32 in the League Cup.

Third Round draw: this Saturday, 5:20 p.m. local time (just enough time to get back to the pub from QPR/Bristol City at Loftus Road!).

Third Round games: week beginning 27 October (between QPR games at home against Tranmere, 25 Oct, and away to Stockport, 1 Nov).

Third Round teams: Second Round winners plus Premier League sides in Europe (Man U, Arsenal, Newcastle, Liverpool, Blackburn, Southampton, Man City, and Ch***ea).

We could get a nice match out of this round and could really use a big box office day at Loftus Road.

Final stats from Match Live:

--------------SU-QPR
    Goal Attempts 5-12
    On target 4-6
    Offside 8-4
    Corners 3-6
    Free kicks 17-24
    Yellow cards 2-2
    Red cards 0-0
    Possession 45-55

Other final scores:
    Blackpool 1-0 Birmingham
    Cardiff 2-3 West Ham
    Hartlepool 1-2 West Brom
    Leicester 1-0 Crewe
    Notts County 2-1 Ipswich
    Portsmouth 5-2 Northampton
    Rotherham 1-0 Colchester
    Scunthorpe 2-3 Burnley
    Stoke 0-2 Gillingham
    Wolves 2-0 Darlington
    Wycombe 0-5 Aston Villa
    Crystal Palace 2-1 Doncaster Rovers
    Wigan 1-0 Fulham
    Sunderland 2-4 Huddersfield

Thee games have gone to extra time:
    Bristol City 1-0 Watford (Bristol City scored in extra time, but the game is still underway)
    Tranmere 0-0 Nottingham Forest
    Charlton 4-3 Luton (still underway in extra time)

The final six fixtures of the second round take place tomorrow.

6. silvercue

silvercue New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    England
    nice win - away against a decent side, even though they had changes - they were a great cup team last season.
    I'm really looking forward to Loftus on Sat - first chance to go so far this season, but this win will set us up nicely for a game against a team that will be near the top by end of season.

7. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Just back home from a fantastic journey up north. Brilliant win for Rangers - which I think the team themselves are very, very pleased with. I know that the (approx) 1,000 Rangers fans that made the trip were plenty happy!

Sheffield United really looked disinterested from the start. Apparently they played about 7 reserve players - and they looked like crap. They were always there for the taking and Rangers got off to a decent start, but needed some time to get into rythym. Once they did - Gallen was pushing the ball all over the pitch - setting up oppurtunities for the likes of Furlong, Rowlands, McLeod and Bean. Rowlands took his chances well - especially the second. He looked like he was licking his chops running up to Kevin's pass and knew exactly how and where he was gonna hit it. Very nice goal and a deserved 2-nil HT lead.

I was wondering at HT if Warnock would throw a fit in the dressing room or not bother with a cup tie full of reserves. The answer was clear in the start of the second. United came out lively and for awhile it seemed that it would be a nervous second half. Rangers regained composure and looked more confident after withstanding United's decent play. Bircham, Bean, Forbes, Edgehill and (most importantly) Danny Shittu deserve praise for controlling Utd and allowing us to cruise to an impressive 2 goal win.

Edgehill looks to be a great signing for us. He is completely composed with the ball at his feet and has the ability to start attacking play with useful passes. Marcus Bean had a nice match - tackling back well and looking confident closer to goal. Danny Shittu is MOTM for many. He's just a rock back there. I was relieved when he shook off an injury following a nasty tackle. He's such a huge key to our success.

Thats about it for the actual match. Support was fantastic. United fans looked like they didnt want to be there - and as far as the singing goes - they weren't. Our supporters sand non-stop throughout and the team certainly knew we were there.

As an added bonus - I backed us at 4-1 to win - so had my ticket and beers paid for in addition to seeing a great Cup win. Result!

8. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesnt get much better than that.