Sheep Draft 3.5 - Line Ups and Tactics

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by lanman, Oct 21, 2012.

1. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Please use this thread to post your final lineup and any supporting tactics.

You must omit one player from your drafted 12 to create your final team.

Please do not post any discussion in this thread. All discussion should continue in the Main Thread

PDG1978 repped this.
  2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The [Memphis] Blues

[​IMG]

Style and formation:
    This line up is one that is meant to be attacking (not quite counter-attacking), with the opportunity to being the ball quickly up field when opposition is shut down going forward. Inadvertently, this formation is similar to Tottenham’s current formation. It is a 4-2-3-1 that can easily transform into a 4-1-2-3 or even a 3-2-2-3 if/when Vertonghen goes forward.

Goalkeeping:
    Reina is the man at the back. He is solid yet not spectacular. His main responsibility will be to get the ball out of the back quickly, which might take some adjusting to. But his is solid, a man to get the job done.

Defense:
    This will be a flat back-4, typically. Though, there is some versatility in the back 4 with Vertonghen being able to play on the left and Ramos able to play on the right. Thus, if there is an opportunity for either Evra or Rafael to go forward and join the attack their position can easily be covered. Further, Vertonghen is one that can move forward and has shown he has more than just minimal ability with his feet. Thus, as indicated in the formation, he can comfortably attack forward. Do not be surprised to see a counter attack with Vertonghen leading with 6 players, or even 7 if De Jong is being adventurous.

Midfield:
    De Jong and Gerrard: The midfield must be separated into two groups, the first being De Jong and Gerrard. De Jong is the destroyer. We have all see his aggressive mentality, unless you missed the WC2010 final. This makes him an intimidator. But he also has defensive talent and will be the one to destroy the attacking midfielder or even SS. As his attacking abilities are low, he will look to cover when any of the defenders move forward. But his primary responsibility will be to stand firm and destroy in front of the defense. As for Gerrard, he is somewhat defensive, but more of a deep lying playmaker. For this, he will pick up when De Jong’s work is done and move the ball forward. His vision is excellent. From deep, he will be primarily be looking for the wings. From farther forward, he will work with Pastore and do not be surprised to see him show up with Huntelaar up front.

Bale, Pastore and Robben: Yes, I am starting Robben in midfield. This is due to the forward looking nature of the team. Robben, like Bale on the opposite side, will run at their defenders. Both has excellent speed and with will be able to burn by then with relative ease. Additionally, they both have the ability to score and can easily join Huntelaar up front. Do not be surprised to see an attack with all 3 of them, or even with 4 if Gerrard or Pastore joins. As for Pastore, he might be a bit lazy or weak on the defending end, but with this line up that will not matter much. He is a very good dribbler and excellent passer. He could easily feed Bale or Robben cutting in or Huntelaar up front. This makes the forward midfield 3 dangerous.

Attack:
    Huntelaar is a very solid man up front. In this formation, it will be more of a high target or even poacher. This is due to his ability to find the net, both with his head as well as his feet. This is where Pastore can pick him out down the middle, or where Bale or Robben can whip in crosses. Further, as Gerrad has a good long shot, look for the follow up on the rebound and expect goals.

Strengths:
    All players fit into their roles easily. Further, most have spent some time inEngland, so language/communication should not be an issue. Within that, this is a nice sub-group of Vertonghen, De Jong, Robben, and Huntelaar who all speak Dutch (Vertonhen was atAjax). This allows a nice cohesiveness.

Weaknesses:
    Goalkeeping: For a team at this level, Reina could be more consistent. He can be spectacular, but he can be average. He should be better than average at all times.
    Right back: Rafael is a bit young and has not spent much time at the top level, though being a regular with Man U speaks of his talent.
    Pastore: Somewhat lazy, if he needs to track back. But those moments should be few and far between.
    Tactics: A strong, wide midfield based counter attack. But this team is looking to win 5-4 rather than 2-1.

Captain: Gerrard
    FK: Gerrard, Robben, Bale
    Right Corner: Bale
    Left Corner: Gerrard
    PK: Gerrard, Huntelaar

3. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Perú FC

[​IMG]

Tactics

Basically, my team is oriented to have as main weapon the possession of ball, it's a formation formed by finest players with good technique, especially to the rotation and building societies.

Goalkeeper

I selected to René Adler because his great performance during the 2010/11 season for Bayer Leverkusen. His quick reactions and elasticity are his main strengths.

Defense

Uruguayan Diego Lugano had a great 2010/11 season playing for Fenerbahçe and Uruguay, he would be the captain of my team and form alongside David Luiz, a solid couple in the central defense. By right I selected to Cicinho, which I've to clarify he's not the former player of Real Madrid and AS Roma (Cícero Joao de Cezare), but the recent signing of Sevilla (Álex Sandro Mendonça dos Santos). His speed and technical qualities showed playing for Palmeiras enable him to go to the attack wisely. By left is José Enrique, who had two very good last seasons with Newcastle United and Liverpool, equally free to go forward but mainly playing as full-back because his solid defensive game.

Midfield

Alex Song is my anchor man, his performance with Arsenal the last season showed me a good candidate to the recovery of physical strength and also able to triangulate in a talented midfielder. Toni Kroos and Andrés Iniesta seems me a wonderful couple of playmakers. The German played as central midfielder during the last season and can work defensively while Iniesta is the mastermind of my team, who will handle the creative in the midfield. But there is also another great playmaker who can operate as winger: Santi Cazorla, one of the stars of the last season in Spain and the suitable player to mantain a domain style and triangulations seeking spaces to the assists. By left is Luis Antonio Valencia, the Ecuadorian is my classic fast winger able to make crosses or diagonals to accompany to the forward.

Forward

Luis Suárez is a forward who can search spaces alone and also take advantage of all the assists from his midfield. His speed and strong mentality make him a lethal attacker in any sense.

4. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    [​IMG]

Captain: Xavi
    Free Kicks, Corners: Xavi, Srna
    Penalties: Xavi

Style of play:
    Short and quick passes, constant movement up front, dominating possession, pressing up the field when the ball is lost, not allowing opponent any time on the ball.

Attack:
    Trying to replicate Spain NT best attributes while playing with an actual striker. Xavi is dictating the play, Vidal, Dzagoev and Nani are in constant movement up font, moving in, switching places, etc. basically at will.
    Srna and Pereira use the wings to join attacks and provide width/additional options. Srna is an exceptional crosser of the ball, so he could use free space on the wing to try to find someone in the box. The idea is to try to force an opponent to run around, trying to get the ball, while searching for openings and waiting for inevitable mistakes. Gomez is right up front looking for open spaces and finishing chances. Playing Martinez in defense (and having Toulalan/Vidal in midfield) allows the team to have a smooth transition from defense to attack and avoiding long balls which often result in loss of possession. If I need to score late, I have several options - moving Srna to right wing with Dzagoev moving in or pushing Martinez up so that Vidal could have a more attacking role.

Defense:
    Utilizing Barcelona's 6-second rule after losing the ball - immediately pressing the player with possession, closing all passing lanes and trying to force a quick mistake. If the ball is not intercepted, everyone is dropping back and pressing opponent in own half. If a full back is out of position when the opponent intercepts the ball, Toulalan and/or Vidal provide cover. Martinez/Badstuber control the back line and it's nice to have the greatest GK of current generation in our team (Casillas). Gomez comes back to help with free kicks and corners in own area.

Strengths:
    Balance of the team, intelligence, stamina. Lots of experience on biggest stages. Best GK of our generation (Casillas) and a dominant midfield, featuring one of the best midfielders of the past 10 years (Xavi), and a top 3 box-to-box midfielder in the world (Vidal).

Weaknesses:
    Central defense pairing is pretty young and error prone on occasion. However, at their best they are exceptional. Hopefully the presence of Casillas would calm them down and allow them to thrive in the team. Also, the fact that both Toulalan and Vidal are great at tracking back and tackling should help the young defenders.

Random Facts: (as of 10/25/2012)
    Team's total market value (according to transfermarkt): 285M €
    Average Age: 26.7

Total number of league titles won: 32
    Total number of Champions League titles won: 6
    Europa League titles won: 2
    World Cups won: 3
    European Championships won: 5
    Copa America titles won: 1

5. AudereEstFacere

Aug 11, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Style and formation:
    This is an attacking lineup that will seek to control possession of the ball, build attacks from the midfield, and threaten the goal with a multi-faceted attack. This is similar to a 4-3-3 or, probably more accurately, a 4-1-2-3 – either way the attacking trio will be acting as a trident. In the event that the team is trailing and more bodies are needed forward, Di Natale can shift inside and Sneijder out to the left to play a more traditional 4-4-2.

Goalkeeper:
    Victor Valdes is between the sticks. He is one of the most celebrated GKs of Barcelona’s history and has consistently started for the club for the past decade. He’s a solid player, but is prone to make the occasional spectacular error. In the 2010-11 season, Valdes conceded only 25 goals in 44 starts across all competitions, kept 21 clean sheets, and helped Barcelona to win the Supercopa de Espana, La Liga and UEFA Champion’s League. He was also voted the La Liga Goalkeeper of the Year and named in European Sports Media’s 2010-11 Team of the Year. Victor is a serviceable keeper for any possession team, which is what we’re looking at here.

Defenders:
    Kyle Walker is my right back. He’s one of the best young full backs in the world. He’s got pace going forward and tracking back, he can be physical and he’s a strong tackler of the ball. His primary weaknesses are his youth and his marking, something that the veterans he will be playing alongside should help him with. After spending a couple of years on loan, Walker came back as Spurs’ starting RB for the 2011-12 season and was a key part of the squad, making 47 appearances and playing over 4000 minutes. Walker was also named the PFA Young Player of the Year for 2012 and awarded a spot on the coveted PFA Team of the Year for 2011-12. His consistency and class has led him to challenge for the starting RB spot for England and, at 21, he already has 4 caps. Walker’s role will be exactly the same as what he does for Spurs, because that’s what he does best. He’ll be asked to tear down the right side and threaten in attack, ideally tying up a defender to allow Palacio to take the opponent’s LB one-on-one. I’m happy to have Kyle on my squad and think he fits in incredibly well with the possession football that this team will be looking to play.

At left back we have the always classy CAshley Cole. He’s the best left sided defender in the world, hands down. Looking back at the past decade, Ashley Cole is probably the only Englishman who would be able to make it into a World XI squad. At his best he’s a class above all but a couple of left backs in the world. The guy, as much as I hate him, doesn’t really have a weakness. He’s a great, disciplined defender, a solid passer of the ball, dangerous in attack, solid defender, and can shut down the best attacks in the world. He’s a single cap away from hitting 100 for England and has never looked like losing his spot. He’s won a plethora of individual awards, including English Player of the Year and UEFA Team of the Year in 2010 and PFA Team of the Year in 2011. Not much to say about his role here. As I’ve said he’s really got no weaknesses so he’ll just have to do what he’s best at: dominating that left side. Given some of the attacking players in this draft (See: Messi), I can’t imagine a better guy to have at LB.

My central defensive pair is composed of Thiago Silva and Joleon Lescott. I feel like this is a pretty formidable pair, and possibly the best of any team in the draft. Thiago Silva is not only one of the top 5 central defenders in the world right now, but he’s also the most expensive defender of all time following his €42m move to PSG this summer. Silva’s got it all – pace, strength, ups, tackling, ball skills, passing, and intelligence. After leading AC Milan to the 2010-11 Serie A title and winning the 2011 Supercoppa Italiana, Silva was awarded the Samba D’Or, won the Serie A Defender of the Year, and was named on the UEFA Team of the Year. As far as weaknesses go, the only thing I can think of is that he 1) was injury prone early in his career and 2) is too damn good.

Joleon Lescott, on the other hand, isn’t going to win any awards. However, he’s proven to be a more than capable partner to Vincent Kompany in the Manchester City defense, a defense that allowed only 29 goals on its way to the 2011-12 EPL title. He’s got years of experience underneath his belt, is very strong in the air, comfortable on the ball, and will provide the occasional goal. There’s not much more to say about this ugly sonofabitch. He’s not someone I’d like to have as my key central defender, but partnering a world class defender such as Thiago Silva he’s downright solid.

Midfielders:
    Super Scott Parker will be the water-carrying, attack-thwarting, tough-tackling, anchor man for my midfield. If you’ve seen him play, you know why I love him. He busts his ass on the pitch, giving it his all every second of every game. He has the intelligence and vision to thwart attacks before they make it to the final third and he’s a hell of a tackler. He won’t provide much in the way of attack, but that’s not what I picked him up for. After joining Spurs for the 2011-12 season, he won the 2011 England Player of the Year and was named on the PFA’s Premier League Team of the Year for 2011-12. Parker will be asked to sit behind the two advanced central mids and break up attacks, pressure the ball, and quickly move the ball into the attacking half. Also, have you seen his hair?

Younes Belhanda and Wesley Sneijder will play the traditional creative midfield roles. Belhanda played a key role in Montpellier’s 2011-12 Ligue 1 championship campaign, bagging 12 goals and providing 4 assists in his 28 apps. Belhanda is a versatile midfielder who can play in a deeper creative role, as an attacking mid, or even as a winger. He possesses great vision, technique, and decision-making and has been compared to Robert Pires by coach Rene Girard (pardon the lack of accent agues and accent agras in this section). He was named Ligue 1 Young Player of the Year and in the Ligue 1 Team of the Year for 2011-12. Belhanda isn’t very useful in defense, but has the stamina and passion to track back and help out some in defense. He’ll be the more box-to-box of the two central midfielders and will mostly be for attack, specifically linking Parker and the defense with Sneijder and the attacking players.

Wesley Sneijder is a man that needs no introduction. He’s consistently been among the top creative midfielders in the world for the better part of the last decade. He pulls the strings for club and country with penetrating runs and precise passes that terrorize even the most solid defenses. He’s also considered one of the top free kick takers in the world, always a great trait for a team. Sneijder will be the creative crux of the team. He’ll spend a lot of time on the ball and be asked to create chances by running at the opponent’s defense and creating space for Di Natale and Palacio cutting in from the wings. When Di Natale cuts inside to join the attack, Sneijder will have the option to head down the left wing to provide a wide option. I expect most of his goals will come while lurking at the top of the box from knock-downs by Llorente and poor clearances. Sneijder is definitely top tier for attacking mids in the world and he’ll provide plenty of goals and assists for a possession team such as this.

Forwards:
    Rodrigo Palacio will be playing as my right winger. He’s equally comfortable on the right wing as second striker, so I expect him to make inside runs as often as he makes runs down the line to provide crosses in to Llorente. Palacio doesn’t have the flair or ball skills to make him a top-notch winger, especially by this draft’s standards, but he was able to produce 21 goals and 7 assists in 34 apps for Genoa in the 2011-12 season and earn a 10.5m euro move to Inter Milan at the end of the season. Palacio’s a quick player with solid passing skills and an eye for goal. His crossing ability should allow him to set up a number of goals from sending the ball onto the head of Llorente or the feet of Di Natale from wide positions.

Antonio Di Natale is the natural choice for left wing in this squad. He’s a versatile player who is comfortable anywhere in an attacking trio. Di Natale’s pace, dribbling skills, finishing ability, and talent for creating goals make him a valuable member of any attack. In the 2010-11 season, Di Natale was the Serie A top scorer with 28 goals and also provided 6 assists in his matches. As a right footed player playing on the left wing, Di Natale will be expected to cut inside and take shots with his dominant right foot, as well as create space for and play passes to Llorente as the main striker. While not playing the target man role, he should still be expected to provide a plethora of chances for his teammates and goals for himself.

Fernando Llorente will be the main target man for this lineup. His strengths include his size, strength, possession play, heading, finishing, and movement off the ball. His lack of pace and passing ability will be more than made up for by his quick wingers and attacking mids. His real job isn’t to outrun opponents, but instead to take possession of the ball and bring Palacio, Di Natale, and Sneijder into the attacking third to create a dangerous, multi-faceted attack. When the ball is played down the wings he will also be asked to use his size to beat defenders and get on the end of any crosses. This should be a good source of goals given Di Natale and Palacio’s crossing skills. Despite not playing for a major European contender, Llorente is considered a Bilbao legend and provided 29 goals and 5 assists for his club across all competitions in the 2011-12 campaign.

Strengths:
    Possession: I can’t imagine many teams more suited to possession football than this one. With the Sneijder and Belhanda in central midfield, opponents should have a very difficult time winning the ball back. Silva, Lescott, Walker, and Cole are all solid ball-playing defenders as well. Furthermore, Llorente’s power allows him to hold up the ball and bring other players forward like few other forwards in the game today.

Formation: This formation is very versatile and should be able to handle most modern tactics. The players fit well into the formation, which should bring out the best in the squad, tactically speaking.

Intelligence: With the exception of Kyle Walker, I would say that this squad exhibits an extraordinarily high level of intelligence on the pitch. Off the ball movement, vision, defensive shape, and general tactical acumen are all present at very high levels here. It should help the team pick apart opponent’s defenses while also staying composed and defense and breaking down a lot of attacks before they ever become too threatening.

Weaknesses:
    Goalkeeping: Let’s not beat around the bush here, Valdes isn’t exactly the best keeper in the world. Hell, he’s not even the best keeper in Spain. He’s prone to serious mistakes but the often disorganized Barcelona defense doesn’t help out. I feel that given the possession football and the – mostly – veteran defense that Valdes will have to work with, he’ll prove to be a more than competent keeper.

Right back: Walker is definitely a young player. His marking is poor - he’s prone to simply forget who he should be marking – and is not very strong in the air or with his headed clearances. That being said, he was one of the breakout EPL players of 2011-12 and is only getting better. With leaders like Thiago Silva and Scott Parker around him, he should be able to concentrate and, when focused, play at a world class level.

Central Midfield: Belhanda and Sneijder are natural attacking mids who will provide little in the way of defensive support. Parker is a hard-worker, though, and if anyone can pick up the slack it’s him.

Roles:
    Captain: Thiago Silva
    Free Kicks: Sneijder
    Right Corner: Sneijder
    Left Corner: Sneijder
    Penalty Kicks: Di Natale, Sneijder

Facts & Stats:
    Avg Age: 28.6
    Avg Height: 1.9m (5 ft 9 in)
    Nationalities Represented: 7
    Leagues Represented: 4
    Combined Goals (for best season of last two): 108
    Combined Assists (for best season of the last two): 51
    International Caps (as of Oct. 26, 2012): 370

6. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    My team will use a mixed 4-2-3-1/4-3-3/4-2-1-3 formation.

[​IMG]
    Soccer formations made easy with this11.com

Strengths:
    Six members of my team have picked up individual awards in the time span covered by this draft. Joe Hart, Fabricio Coloccini, Mario Fernardes, Jack Wilshere and Samir Nasri made the team of the year for their respective league. Karim Benzema was the French Player of the Year in 2011. Nasri finished second in the PFA Player of the Year award in 2011. Both Walter Samuel(Serie A Defender of the Year 2010) and Thomas Muller(various young players awards in 2010)also won awards that were partially covered in the time span, but they won the award because of their performance set before the draft criteria. So I am not considering them. The code of the team is connected through France, Man City, Arsenal and/or Bayern Munich. So cohesion is one of my strengths.

Weakness: Ribery, Benzema, Clichy and Nasri did nothing for France together, but this is “club” football where they all shine. My back four is not the best in the draft.

Defense:
    Joe Hart is one of the best keepers in the world. Fabricio Coloccini is on the PFA Team of the Year last year. Walter Samuel carries a bag of experiences to the team. They had also played together for Argentina under José Pekerman. Known for solid defending and his great passing skills, Mario Fernandes was voted as the best rightback in the Brazilian league last season. His transfer fees last April is the 6th most expensive for a defender in this draft period making him one of the most expensive rightbacks in history. Gael Clichy had played a similar procession-oriented game under Arsene Wenger for many years. He will be surrounded by his teammates from Arsenal, Man City and France.

Bruno Soriano was among the leaders for the number of tackles, interceptions, passes attempts and the pass completion rate in La Liga the last two seasons. He will win the ball and maintain procession through simple passes to the more creative players. When the two fullbacks make offensive runs, he can also drop back to become the “third centerback”.

Offense:
    During attack, Franck Ribery and Thomas Muller will move forward to support Benzema forming a 3-men forward line. The formation turns from 4-2-3-1 to 4-3-3 or 4-2-1-3. The attack will start from the back through buildup plays conducted by a cohort of good procession players. Jack Wilshere is the deep lying playmaker who will run the buildup plays in the backfield. He will connect with the attacking midfielder, Samir Nasri. Nasri, in turn, will become the playmaker in the Final Thirds. As Arsenal teammates, the pair made the PFA Team of the Year in 2010-11.

Samir Nasri will conduct plays mostly through the center, but will also move to the wings as the game demands. When he moves to the wing, he will allow Ribery or Muller to cut inside. And when Benzema drops deep, he will charge on to become the highest player where he will become a scoring threat. Wilshere can also move forward to cover him when Nasri moves out of his central position.

On a given day, Franck Ribery can be one of the best players in the world. In general, he will play as an inverted winger on the left. His role will be identical to what he usually does with France and Bayern Munich respectively. And because the entire offensive line and Clichy also play for those two teams, he will be familiar with his environment.

Karim Benzema’s lone striker role will be same as the one he has with Real Madrid and France. He is also a very good flanker which is good for Thomas Muller who is effective at sneaking into the striker position from the wing. The pair will exchange positions throughout the game. Both players are also known for their quick movements and short combination plays inside or near the box. They should work well together. Muller can also move to the right or the middle to combine with Ribery as he has done at Bayern Munich.

7. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Death by Football
    [​IMG]

The Team
    GK: Mar-André ter Stegen
    CB: Nemanja Vidic (Captain)
    CB: Dante Bonfim Costa Santos
    LB: Aly Cissokho
    RB: Bacary Sagna
    DM: Lucas Leiva
    CM: Joe Allen
    CM: Mikel Arteta (FKs)
    WF: Sebastian Larsson (FKs, CKs)
    SS: Lionel Messi (FKs, PKs)
    LF/CF: Robert Lewandowski

Player Scouting
    Joe Allen Statistically Compared to Rivals (EPL Index/Liverpool Scout/Opta)
    Mikel Arteta: One of the Top Key Passers in Europe (Arsenal Stats/Opta)
    Mikel Arteta: Arsenal's Pivotal Playmaker
    Sebastian Larsson's Top 10 Goals (youtube)
    Lucas Leiva: Midfield Enforcer (EPL Index/Opta)
    Lucas Leiva :: Highlight Video (youtube)
    Marc-André ter Stegen :: Highlight Video (youtube)
    Dante Bonfim Costa Santos :: Highlight Video #1 (youtube)
    Dante Bonfim Costa Santos :: Highlight Video #2 (youtube)
    Robert Lewandowski: Top 25 Bundesliga Players - #6 (Bundesliga Fanatic)

Key Player Awards and Achievements

Lionel Messi (2011-12)
    • 50 goals from 37 La Liga appearances
    • 73 goals from 60 appearances in all competitions
    • 14 goals from 11 UEFA CL appearances
    • 3 WCQ appearances and 3 goals
    • FIFA Balon d'Or 2011
    • World Soccer PotY 2011
    • UEFA Best Player in Europe Award 2011
    • Onze d'Or 2011 and 2012
    • European Sports Magazine Team of the Year
    • FIFA/FIFPro World XI 2011
    • Pichichi 2011-12
    • European Golden Show 2011-12
    • UEFA CL Top Goalscorer 2011-12
    • Trofeo EFE 2011 and 2012
    • ...there's more, but I'm getting tired of typing. :)
    Nemanja Vidic (2010-11)
    • Premier League Winner
    • PFA Premier League Team of the Year
    • Barclays Player of the Year
    • European Sports Magazine Team of the Year
    • FIFA/FIFPro World XI
    • 7th place UEFA Best Player in Europe award (Top 6: Messi, Xavi, Ronaldo, Iniesta, Falcao, and Rooney)
    Robert Lewandowski (2011-12)
    • 30 goals in 47 appearances for all club competitions
    • 5 goals in 5 international appearances for Poland
    • Bundesliga and DFB-Pokal "Double" with Borussia Dortmund
    • 125 shots on goal ... directly involved in 179 scoring opportunities ... completed 75% of his passes (Bundesliga Fanatic)
    Team Tactics
    Shape - We will look to play a mix between a 4-diamond-2 (when looking to control the game or win the midfield), a 4-3-3 (when attacking normally), and a 3-4-3 (Lucas dropping between Dante and Vidic when we are dominating possession). Lewa will operate more narrow, closer to the left channel, and look to drift in front of Messi when Messi drops deep. Larsson will use his endurance and speed to split time between hugging the touchline, drifting between the lines, and cutting infield to make runs and take shots.

Attacking Instructions - We will look to be patient and as balanced as possible across the field with an emphasis on short passing, keeping possession, recycling the ball through the backs, and switching fields through the midfielders and backs.

3 Major Attacking Strategies - (1) Combining through the middle between Lewandowski, Messi, Arteta, and Allen. (2) Moving Messi to a false winger role and shifting him to the side of the opposition's weakest defender. Lewa would go central and Larsson would balance the formation. (3) Crosses from Cissokho and Larsson to the head of Lewa and feet of Messi (in normal attacking play) along with the heads of Vidic and Dante on corners.

Defensive Instructions - The team will press as much as possible when not in possession with frequent double teams. Fullbacks (Cissokho and Sagna) will be asked to bump on wide players. All 3 midfielders will be asked to defend and are capable. Lucas, Dante and Vidic will be asked to win aerial contests when the opposition plays long, high balls out of pressure.

Excape Goat, PDG1978, lanman and 2 others repped this.
  8. El-CapitanoR7

El-CapitanoR7 Member

Oct 30, 2008
    La la land
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    [​IMG]

Tactics
    If you watched Italy in Euro 2012 then you know this formation. When they weren't playing the 3-5-2 they were playing this formation. It's basically flooding a midfield with midfielders with a high-work-rate and good ball retention skills. The key player for Italy's midfield was Pirlo, well , in my team I have a player very similar to Pirlo (Verratti). Cassano will fit in just like he did in the Euro's he's the guy that's gonna be stuck on the left wing, creating chances for my #9 Klose, he's also going to be cutting in from the left side and finding other team mates or trying to curl the ball in to the top-right hand corner.​
    Goalkeeper
    Thiabut Courtois is a very solid goalkeeper. He won the Europa League last year with Atletico Madrid. The guy just doesn't commit mistakes, and consistently gets the job done. Already one of the top keepers in the world.​
    Defenders
    Zabaleta knows how to position himself very well. He defends well, and attacks when he needs to. No extra bells or whistles from him.​
    Eliseu is one of the fastest players in the world, this player will be bombing the left side of defense very much like Marcelo does for Real Madrid. He's got a rocket shot, and what seems to be unlimited stamina. He defends pretty well, last year he played most of his games at LB and did an admirable job on both sides of the field.​
    Pepe & Yanga-Mbiwa are just very strong, quick defenders. It'll be very difficult to beat this defense. Both tall and very physically imposing, they will win most headers, and will almost never get overpowered.​
    Midfielders
    Verratti is my anchor man just constantly looking for the ball and spraying the ball to the wings or to the most advanced player. If you don't know this guy you would be very, very impressed. A much better tackler than Pirlo.​
    Zanetti is going to own the right side of the field with his marauding runs, and limitless stamina. This guy is one of the most consistent players in the world, and without a doubt, he's the captain of the team.​
    Marchiso will score goals for this team. He was Juventus' top goal scorer last year . His diagonal runs are unstoppable. He also covers a lot of ground and will cover for Eliseu's left sided runs.​
    Eriksen is a guy that will be the glue guy between attack and midfield. He's there for the support of both the attack and midfield. He's creative, and very much a team player.​
    Attackers
    Cassano is the most creative player in this team, this guy can control any long, or short ball, and that's why he's excellent to start your counter attack with. He's also arguably the best passing supporting striker in world football alongside Messi.​
    Klose has eradicated all doubt on his goal-scoring form by having a wonderful year with Lazio last year. Still one of the most dangerous players in the air today. He also drops back to support the midfield and make the play click. He will be very excited to play with so many creative midfielders and an excellent partner in Cassano.​
    Set-Pieces
    Eriksen and Verrati are both good able set-piece takers. Yanga-Mbiwa will get forward for almost all set pieces, and Klose will surely score some goals with his accurate heading skills.

9. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    thebigman & pdg Rovers
    1) Brad Friedel (Goalkeeper) - Reliable and experienced goalkeeper who's settled in very well at Tottenham and helped them to a top 4 finish. Still capable of great saves as his training methods and professionalism maintain his reflexes and his awareness.
    2) Christian Maggio (Right Back) - The Napoli star made both the Serie A season XI and the Italian Euros squad after an impressive season in which he was able to provide goals and assists and play very well in Serie A and the Champions League. Has become a key part of Napoli's attacking play during his time there and we hope to get the best out of him by allowing him to overlap Gotze often while Carrick is asked to keep an eye of covering his defensive role when that occurs.
    3) David Alaba (Left Back) - Has settled in well at Bayern and can provide youthful energy in helping both defend and build up play on our left flank.
    4) Christopher Samba (Centre Back) - Strong defender who was linked with the likes of Arsenal after making an impression with Blackburn Rovers before moving to Eastern Europe instead.
    5) Ricardo Carvalho (Centre Back) - Picked on his 2010/2011 season where he still displayed some of his established class in Real Madrid's defence which didn't concede many goals. Will look to form a steady partnership with the physical Samba.
    6) Michael Carrick (Centre Midfielder) - Clever and precise passer who has regained a place in the England setup after showing good form as a sitting midfielder who sprays the ball around which is in the main the role we have in mind for him.
    7) Mario Gotze (Right Attacking Midfielder) - Livewire young German who had a particularly promising 2010/2011 and continued to be a key player for Dortmund the following successful season too when fit. We feel we'll be making the most of his abilities by allowing him to rove around, often coming inside from his nominal right-sided position.
    8) Yaya Toure (Centre Midfielder) - Proved to be a key player for Manchester City, alternating between a defensive midfield role and a more attacking role. He is to be encouraged to drive forwards and combine with the players in front of him as he's done successfully over these last couple of seasons but can also sit alongside Carrick when we're under pressure.
    9) Edinson Cavani (Striker) - Has been scoring plenty of goals over the last couple of years, playing as the hold-up player and target for crosses in Napoli's team. We'll look to make the most of his clever movement that has aided him in these scoring exploits.
    10) Cesc Fabregas (Attacking Centre Midfielder) - Fabregas has become an accomplished attacking midfielder over recent years and excelled in that role on arrival at his boyhood Club Barcelona in 2011/2012. We also hope to benefit from his quality of passing and at times he can alternate with Yaya Toure, dropping deep and picking out players ahead of him.
    11) Xherdan Shaqiri (Left Attacking Midfielder) - The young Swiss player has burst onto the scene over the last couple of years and made an impression in the Champions League with a Basel team that impressed in games with the likes of Manchester United. Has shown that he can make impact in such games as well as scoring a lot of goals, some of them very impressively with his quality left foot in the Swiss League, and now he's earned a transfer to Bayern Munich.

Default set-piece takers
    Free-kicks - Fabregas and from short range Shaqiri at times
    Corners - Fabregas from the left and Shaqiri from the right
    Penalties - Cavani

Captain
    Toure
    Vice-Captain
    Carvalho

Playing style
    We intend to play football from the back, with Carrick as the metronomic passer picking out team-mates or giving it short to Toure who can drive forwards and open up space. Fabregas can intermitently or for permanent spells drop deeper to become another playmaker and allow Yaya to play generally further forward as he's often been used by Mancini. Toure will look for diagonal balls into wide areas for wide players to receive and then work off Cavani. Cavani can also be played to directly to hold the ball up and bring others into play, including Gotze who'll be coming in from the right often while Maggio overlaps. Shaqiri will spend more time wide on the left, but occasionally get involved more centrally and he and Gotze can swap sides too if we want so that he is coming infield onto his left foot and finding Cavani with it from the right side too. We don't intend to press high up the pitch and won't play a high line so as not to expose the slow turning Samba or ageing Carvalho too much. We will press more in our own half, using Cavani and Gotze as outlets when we get possession and trying to counter attack using Yaya's athleticism. In midfield we play a possession game with plenty of one-two's and quick passing, looking to get Fabregas into position to make key passes as the advanced playmaker who can also break into the box and score himself. Shaqiri will provide width when we are on the counter attack and the full-backs especially Maggio will look to get into position to provide Cavani and others with service when we build up play patiently. Carrick hangs back deep generally and can cover Maggio when necessary.

Defensive set-piece tactics
    Man marking, with Yaya Toure providing height to mark a big opposition player.

Key assets
    Mixture of technical ability/vision and physicality especially in midfield with Yaya Toure assisting two cultured passers. Cavani is good as a dual purpose striker as thebigman says "target man and a poacher who is mobile and good with feet and aerially". Interchageability of Yaya and Cesc. Defenders good at set-pieces in both areas. Overlapping full-backs.

Formation changes
    We can play more of a 4-3-3/4-1-2-2-1 with the midfield shape looking like this:
    --------------Carrick----------
    ------Fabregas-----Toure-----
    ---Gotze-------------------Shaqiri--
    --------------Cavani--------------
    In this formation Fabregas and Toure both contribute as two-way midfielders and look to assist the attackers ahead of them. Gotze and Shaqiri can spend more time in attack and play a little more freely.
    If we have a lead and are under pressure from a possession-based opponent then we can setup midfield and attack more like this:
    ----------------Carrick--------------
    Gotze----Fabregas---Toure---Shaqiri

---------------Cavani-------------------
    The midfieders can then work in groups of 3 to close down the opposition before playing our own passing game and breaking in support of Cavani. Alternatively, Yaya Toure can be the deepest lying midfielder if we are in trouble from midfielders running through the centre or need a stronger player to help defensively in front of the back 4.

10. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    [​IMG]

Captain: Vincent Kompany
    Set Pieces:

With the talents of Leighton Baines available for deadball situations, we plan to take full advantage. Dead balls from 45 yards or less will be served in with the likes of Kompany, Koscielny, Isla, and Eto'o attacking the ball. Direct setpieces from 30 yards and under will be taken on goal.

+ Freekicks [direct and indirect] à Leighton Baines
    + Cornerkicks [left and right] àLeighton Baines
    + Penaltiesà 1. Eto’o
    2.Reus
    3. Baines
    4. Oezil
    5. Valero

Defensively…

+ When possession is turned over to the opposition, team is encouraged to press hard and and fast, immediately to win the ball back. Press as a team.
    + If the opposition is able to beat or play around the press, every player is expected to get behind the ball. If the ball has not been played pass the halfway line, players will recover their position and keep our shape.
    + After recovering our shape, players will defend compactly as a unit. Suffocate the middle, funneling all attacks out-wide. Force the teams outside fullback to play difficult passes up the line or in the middle. Hopefully he retreats.
    + Should the ball advance up our wing, we want our players to try and stop/disrupt all attempted crosses. Both our fullbacks are quick enough to keep up with most wingers and outside midfielders. Should any cross come in, I am confident that Vincent Kompany, with that huge dome of his [along with Laurent Koscielny and the fullback] will clear an crosses.

I believe the talent level of my individual defenders is good enough, that I do not have to put that much protection outside of cover for Baines which is outlined in this post.

Personnel

Davide De Gea: Young, but talented keeper. He’s had a very good start to his professional career. With Athletico he showed tremendous ability in the here and now, as well as potential. He started a little shaky in his first season at Man Utd, but after seemingly adjusting to his new settings, he showed what he was about. Quick reflexes, good shot stopping. Good with his feet, and good punting and kicking the ball although under a little pressure his kicking can be inconsistent.

Vincent Kompany: Captain ofManchesterCity as they’ve made strides towards the highest levels of club football. He is Unbeatable in the air, and very aggressive but effective on the ground. He is A complete defender who is also very good on the ball as well [having played Dmid in his younger days inBelgium andGermany]. He will anchor my backline

Laurent Koscielny: . Although not the biggest and most intimidating defender around, he’s shown he’s very capable of reading the game at a high level. Good pace, good timing and also good on the ball. Deals with strikers who game is based on a ground approach, very well. Enables us to keep a responsibly [yes, responsibly] high line.

Christophe Jallet: Will get forward occasionally, but not as much as Baines. Expected to help defense more than attack, being he rugged hardnosed fullback he is.

Leighton Baines: Hee’s given a license to get forward at any and every occasion so long as it’s a responsible time to go forward. During the allotted draft times he’s been in the weight room, working on his speed and strength, adding to his cultured left peg.

Build up and Attack

+ When the ball is being put back into play from a goal kick, I want my wide midfielders to start very high up the pitch almost in line with my no. 9 [Eto’o]. During any restart really. As the ball progresses through the back and midfield, those same outside players are then allowed to move infield depending on the situation. For example, Marco Reus will be given permission to move and support the striker from his left sided attacking midfield position. Di Maria will also occasionally get permission to drift in field, but his natural instincts are to stay wide anyway. With Jallet on his side, that should give him a little bit of security knowing a competent defender is behind him. Baines will get forward and take the spaces thatReusleaves behind. Maurico Isla is intentionally placed on that side of the pitch that way he can help cover the space Baines leaves behind.

+ We plan on making use of short, quick passes at a very high tempo, along with good off the ball movement to build up and create chances. In this team, we have two of the best creators in La Liga and world on our team. We have two of the best goal scorers on our team, and we have 11 players who are very comfortable on the ball. Circulating the ball around, We have an attacking four some who all have pace, who are all great movers off the ball, who are all comfortable in a one v one situations. Most importantly, they are comfortable in at least 2 different positions each.Reusis comfortable on either wing, as well as behind the striker or as a false 9. Mesut Oezil is comfortable attacking from either wing as well as down the middle. It’s the same case for Di Maria, who even though better out wide on either wing, can be a threat when running with the ball through the middle of the pitch. Samuel Eto’o has played in TWO champions league finals [in 05 with Barca and in 2010 with Inter] playing a pseudo wing role.

With that stated, we will not only have a high tempo short passing attack [with the occasional cross field pass, or obvious counter situation], but also a fluid attack. For example...

[​IMG]
    This is a formation that we will move to to help crowd the midfield defensively, but still leave players with defined roles. Offensively, it would appear to be a strikerless formation with the main attackers starting positions more wide than their starting spots. This formation will help us keep the ball better, while giving the opposition defense something to think about when the forward players drift from different angles and Oezil or another midfielder possible coming from deep to exploit gaps.

[​IMG]

Another formation that should help show the possible positions my attacking 4 can take up. Oezil and Reus could easily switch spots. Oezil could go out to the left, and Eto'o up top, supported by Reus. etc etc

Personnel…

Maurico Isla: Most know him as a marauding right wing-back. ForChile, and in his last season at Udinese, he’s been seen playing a few other positions such as fullback, wingback, outside midfield, [on both the left and the right] and central midfield. His athleticism, tenaciousness, his strong ability on the ball, his bite in the tackle all translate well into a central midfield role he has played recently. He’s proven he can be as devastating in a box to box role in central midfield as he can in the wide area’s. He also helps provide some options in case we wanted to change shape. Offensively, he helps in many ways such as driving runs from the center of the park. With his speed and strength combined with his good dribbling skills, should the opportunity present itself, he is more than capable of taking advantage with devastating effect.

Borja Valero: Talented playmaker/retainer. He is Another Spanish midfielder who is generally good enough to start for most other national teams in his preferred role. He has fantastic touch, vision and awareness in the center of the park. He is Perfect for the role of retainer, recycler in our team. He is allowed to go forward and influence play in the final third occasionally, but his main task is to help start our attacks, as well as help spread the ball around and influence play in the middle third more than any other third. He’s not really known has a defensive midfielder, but he’s no stranger to helping win the ball back. He’s also very tenacious off the ball and not afraid to put in a tackle. Next to Isla, I see a very compatible duo, which is useful on both sides of the ball.

Angel Di Maria: As has been previously mentioned, Di Maria has been amon g the top assist men in La Liga. He rarely uses his right foot for anything other than standing, but with his breath taking dribbling skills he creates more than enough space for passing, shooting or crossing. Comfortable on either the left or the right, he’s a hard player to keep up with let alone dispossess. Despite having such a devastating [most times] offensive game, he’s also a very hard worker on both sides of the ball. Di Maria never shrugs off his defensive work. He covers a lot of ground and will fit in very well with our pressing. His energy is key to this system.

Mesut “Avatar Eyes” Oezil: He is the top dog in the Spanish league when it comes to creating. In the 11-12 seasons he led Liga BBVA in assist. The season prior, he was 2nd only to Messi. He’s also not too shabby when it comes to putting the ball in the back of the net. Oezil will play as our chief creator and playmaker. He is given freedom to move from his starting position in the hole, to either the left or right wing, or even drop deep to help retain possession when need be. Having also drafted Marco Reus, there is an instant bond there with players who have struck up a good relationship ON the pitch with the German national team.

Marco Reus: With 21 goals and 10 assist in the 11-12 season, Marco Reus announced himself toEurope as one of the best young forwards on the continent. Great mover off the ball, good at combining with other players and playing one touch passs and move football, he’s the perfect foil for Oezil, Di Maria and Samuel Eto’o. Reus versatility allows for our system to be fluid and have players interchanging positions in attack. He is comfortable on either the left or the right, as well as up front. His long distance strikes also pack a punch. I expect he, along with Eto’o will carry most of the goal scoring burden, as well as helping us stretch teams defense vertically.

Samuel Eto’o: What does one need to say about Samuel Eto’o? He’s is arguably the best out and out striker of the last 4 or 5 years. Blistering pace, amazing strength, great dribbling and 1 v 1 skills, and a deadly finisher on both feet and also in the air, he is one of the more complete forwards in this time frame. No center back can keep up with him, and with Oezil, Di Maria and co providing the ammunition I expect this attack to be a very potent one.

Weakness: Without a dedicated defensive midfielder, some may feel that there is a soft center. I can see how some would see this a something to note, but the team selection is intentional. With the way we intend on pressing and closing off the space in the central midfield area, the bite and energy Valero, Isla and Di Maria [and even Reus and Eto'o] provide I expect teams to have a hard time navigating our midfield.

11. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    With apologies for the delay (stupid hurricanes), our tactics are below:

Team schwuppe/nicephoras:

[​IMG]

Most of the players above don't need much explanation, other than a few we'll mention. Criscito, although he's currently playing in Russia, is the first choice left back for Italy – he would have started for Italy in the Euros but couldn't due to match-fixing allegations (and he was cleared, for the record, so don't even try!). Alvaro Dominguez started most of Atletico Madrid's games last year at CB in their run to the UEFA Cup victory as well as a good showing the league. Finally, though Witsel is fairly well known, he had a wonderful year last year for a very good Benfica side.

We're using a 4-2-3-1 formation that is particularly well suited to this side because every player is familiar with it. All of Pisczek, Kagawa, Cahill, DeRossi, Witsel and Hazard use it as their current formation of choice, while the 4-2-2-2 that Silva played under Mancini is very similar. This formation also utilizes Tevez's skills best, as he is free to be fluid with his movement – he doesn't so much need to score as press and drag defenders out of position, something he's excellent at. Each of Hazard, Kagawa and Silva are also excellent goal scorers (over 40 combined last season), so even if Tevez is not prolific as a lone striker, his ability to set up the 3 midfielders behind him is equally important; this role won't be very different from the ultra fluid 4-3-3 ManUtd utilized when they had the Ronaldo/Rooney/Tevez trident in Ronaldo's last two years in Manchester.
    The two deeper players in midfield are ideally suited to this game – Witsel has an excellent range of passing (and is the deep lying playmaker right now for Belgium – one of Europe's most promising sides), while DeRossi has arguably been the best holding midfielder in Europe the past decade, as he again showed at the Euros, even dropping deep when necessary.
    Due to playing a 4-2-3-1, we wanted fairly mobile defenders. Pisczek especially (the best two way RB in Europe right now) and Criscito generally speak for themselves, but we specifically targeted Cahill and Dominguez due to that. That's not a typo – Cahill is far more proficient in this role than you might think. For example, here was Michael Cox's analysis that Cahill fits a high line quite well: http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/01/20/gary-cahill-chelsea-high-line/. Dominguez, equally, while not a household name, is versatile and mobile – he's a converted left back (from Real's academy, as almost everyone is in Spain) and played well enough to merit a fairly hefty transfer fee upon his move to Borussia Moenschengladbach.
    However, we should not that we're not going to adopt the Barcelona/Rodgers/Arsenal tactics of trying to stifle the midfield with short passing and control 70% of possession. This side is built much more to break quickly and play the ball to feet rather than to play tiki-taka passes. They could, but all of Hazard, Kagawa and Tevez are much better when running at the opposition (one of the reasons Kagawa has been superfluous for ManUtd this year), with Witsel being able to play longer passes. That also means our defenders will be playing a bit deeper than, say, Chelsea under AVB, for which Cahill is extremely well suited.
    While neither Hazard nor Silva are defensive stalwarts, we won't be asking Pisczek or Criscito to advance deep especially often, but rather will rely on the movement of our front 4 which will be almost interchangeable.

Captain: DeRossi
    Penalties: Either Tevez or Hazard
    Free kicks/corners: Silva for direct, Witsel for deeper FKs.

12. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Apologies for the delay - had a hectic week and James seems to have completely disappeare.

[​IMG]

Basic 4-2-3-1 (4-3-3) switching to a 3-4-3 when the fullbacks (arguably the two best in the world at it) go forward.

We think the team is a very complementary one with 4 of the 5 defensive outfield players playing together for the best possession team in Barcelona; and the 5th one of the best ball playing CBs of his generation in Rio. Buffon of course is excellent at the ball as well and completes a very strong technical back 6. Mascherano is used to playing as a CB and would slot in nicely as the 3rd CB when needed; with both Alba and Alves in particular given the freedom to bomb forward.

The midfield 2 of Schweini (arguably the best two sided midfielder in Europe over this period) and Diamanti are both comfortable in this formation and play similar two sided midfield roles for their clubs in Bayern and Bologna; and should reasonably cover any gaps left by the fullbacks together with the 3 CBs. Schweini with 2 complementary mids will also be able to set the tempo of the game as he has repeatedly done for both Bayern and Germany.

The front 3 are unique amongst the teams in this draft in that every one of the top scorer in their respective league last season with 94 goals between them.

Despite that, it is a front 3 which in Nene and Vargas' personalities and stature allows Ibra to be the main man which is precisely the environment in which he appears every inch one of the top players in the world as his recent record clearly illustrates. It is also a formation which allows the exciting talent in Vargas to make his trademark inside runs from a wide position while linking up with Schweini and Diamanti.

This side while built to maximize Ibra's scoring will score goals from all over the pitch with Alves and Schweini having very good goalscoring records from deeper positions.

Captain: Buffon
    Penalties: Ibra or Nene
    Short right footed free kicks: Alves ()
    Short left footed free kicks: Nene ()
    Long free kicks: Ibra or Alves
    Corner: Nene

I think we deliberately tried to pick a team throughout the draft who were very good in this period so I would like to highlight that

Appearances (in best season), Goals (in best season), Assists (in best season)
    Individual Honours (in chosen period)

Gianluigi Buffon
    46 starts, 112 saves, 0 yellow/red cards
    • IFFHS<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IFFHS> World's Best Goalkeeper of the 21st century: 2012
    • UEFA Euro Team of the Tournament<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_European_Football_Championship_Teams_of_the_Tournament>: 2012<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2012#Awards>

Dani Alves
    51 starts, 4 goals, 20 assists
    • ESM Team of the Year<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Sports_Magazines#ESM_Team_of_the_Year>: 2010–11<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Sports_Magazines#2010.E2.80.9310>
    • UEFA Team of the Year<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Team_of_the_Year>: 2011

Rio Ferdinand
    39 starts, 1 assist

Carlos Puyol
    42 starts, 5 goals
    • UEFA Team of the Year<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Team_of_the_Year>: 2010<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Team_of_the_Year#Team_of_the_Year_2010>
    • FIFA/FIFPro World XI<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFPro#FIFA_FIFPro_World_XI>: 2010<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_Ballon_d'Or#FIFA.2FFIFPro_World_XI>
    • FIFA World Cup All-Star Team<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Cup_awards#All-Star_Team>: 2010<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup>

Jordi Alba
    46 starts, 3 goals, 7 assists
    • UEFA Euro Team of the Tournament<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_European_Football_Championship_Teams_of_the_Tournament>: 2012<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2012#Awards>

Javier Mascherano
    61 starts

Bastian Schweinsteiger
    55 starts, 10 goals, 14 assists
    • FIFA World Cup All-Star Team<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Cup_awards#All-Star_Team>: 2010<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup>
    Silbernes Lorbeerblatt<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silbernes_Lorbeerblatt> : 2010

Alessandro Diamanti
    31 starts, 8 goals, 7 assists

Nene
    45 starts, 26 goals, 13 assists

· Ligue 1<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligue_1>: Top scorer 2011–12<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011–12_Ligue_1>
    · 2nd UNFP Ligue 1 Player of the Year 2011-12
    · Ligue 1 Team of the Year 2011-12

Eduardo Vargas
    48 starts, 29 goals, 7 assists

* Top Scorer Copa Sudamericana<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_Sudamericana> (1): 2011
    * Best Player Copa Sudamericana<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_Sudamericana> (1): 2011
    * Best Player Chilean Primera División<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilean_Primera_División> (1): 2011
    * Best Forward Chilean Primera División<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilean_Primera_División> (1): 2011
    * 2nd South American Footballer of the Year<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_American_Footballer_of_the_Year>: 2011
    * Forward of the "Ideal Team of America": 2011[7]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eduardo_Vargas#cite_note-6>

Zlatan Ibrahimovic
    49 starts, 39 goals, 13 assists

• UEFA Euro Team of the Tournament<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_European_Football_Championship_Teams_of_the_Tournament> (1): 2012<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2012#Awards>
    • Serie A Top Scorer<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capocannonieri>: 2012<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011–12_Serie_A#Top_goalscorers>
    • Serie A Foreign Footballer of the Year<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serie_A_Foreign_Footballer_of_the_Year>: 2011
    • Serie A Footballer of the Year<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serie_A_Footballer_of_the_Year>: 2011
    • Guldbollen<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guldbollen>: 2010, 2011
    • Golden Foot<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Foot> (1): 2012

So, all together, our team made 563 starts in their best season, scoring a staggering 124 goals and making 82 assists over this season.

We also have 5 players (Buffon, Puyol, Alba, Schweinsteiger, Ibrahimovic) who made into the best xi of either the World Cup or the Euros; another (Vargas) who finished second in the South American player of the year; another (Nene) who finished second in the Ligue 1 player of the year; and finally another (Alves) who was in the UEFA and ESM team of the years. Almost every one of our players has been recognized for having a strong campaign by individual honours.

13. Poborsky

Poborsky Member

[​IMG]

Why I think I have the best team:
    I have the best CM combination in the tournament, the 2nd or 3rd best defense and one of the best, if not the best, goalkeeper. Benat is an excellent creative playmaker (which is why he's preferred to Mata, Arteta and others at national team level these days) and my front 3 are all excellent finishers.

I think I have the best defensive team in the draft, narrowly edging out CR7toRossi's on account of Diamanti being a lazy 10, whereas Benat is a typical hardworking, ballhawking Spanish CM at that spot, and Rio and Puyol's age making them susceptible to pacey and powerful 9's.

Offensively, I have 3 excellent finishers to score the goals and to give them the through balls they'll thrive on, 3 Spanish National team CM's the best passing CB in the draft and two excellent overlapping fullbacks to offer cutbacks.

Everyone's playing their favourite position. The best defensive team in the draft and an above average offense one gives me the most balance.

Formation:
    4-2-3-1 -
    Main Style: High line in defense to take advantage of having a speedy defense and Spanish midfielders great at winning, keeping and passing the ball. Two energetic wide attackers used to pressing hard will help, too, but instead of pressing very high, we'll look to press more once the ball goes to fullbacks or defensive midfielders.

Alternative Style: Sit a bit deeper, looking to draw other teams' backline up a bit in order to make the runs of Higuain, Pedro and Schurrle in behind more dangerous.

Offensive Tactics:
    First off, any team with Alonso and Busquets, another Spanish international CM and Mats Hummels is going to end up controlling the middle of the park and the ball most games, though we aren't playing Tiki-Taka.

All 3 forwards are good goal scorers - in their natural positions - who excel at beating offside traps. The 3 Spanish midfielders will look to play them in, and the fullbacks are excellent overlappers who will provide wing play and will have 3 very good finishers to look to cross to.

My defenders scored 12 league goals, combined, in their best seasons of the 2, indicating a serious danger from set pieces and sometimes in open play.

The weakness in my team, offensively, is that none of my 3 forwards are brilliant passers. But they are good passers. More importantly, by not pressing overly high, there should be space in behind to play the 3 clever runners in. If teams sit back, the fullbacks will provide great width and have 3 players who have all played as a 9 as mobile targets. The excellent offensive passing of Benat, Xabi Alonso, Hummels will provide significant creativity.

Defensive Tactics:
    My fullbacks are known for their running, but are very strong defensively, especially Lichtsteiner, who was basically great at every aspect of the game last year. Hummels is a mobile, modern CB, while Benatia is a more mobile version of the tough CB every team needs to defend against crosses and physical strikers.

Player Profiles:
    Attack:
    Gonzalo Higuain - A great goal scorer and an underrated passer. In 11/12, scored 22 goals and added 7 assists in only 18 starts and 17 sub appearances. Scored a goal every 77 minutes in La Liga last year (3rd), which is closer to Messi and Ronaldo (65 and 72 minutes per goal) than it is to Benzema and Falcao
    Schurrle - In 10/11, he scored 15 goals in 26 starts and 7 sub appearances. 7 in 19 for Germany. Excellent dribbler and shooter and plays out wide primarily. Chelsea had a bid between 20-25 Million pounds turned down this summer.
    Pedro - Another wide goalscorer. In 10/11, he scored 13 goals and had 7 assists in 24 starts and 9 sub appearances. 7 in 22 for Spain. Started in the 2010 World Cup Final and came on in the 2012 European Cup Final.

Summary: 3 really, really good goalscorers up front. 50 goals in 68 starts and 33 sub appearances in their best seasons of the two considered for this draft. Passing skills are average for this draft, since there's no classic playmaker in the group, but Pedro and Higuain have posted pretty strong assist numbers and Schurrle is another German player who's good at linking play on the break. Pedro and Schurrle will switch wings, since both play on either sides.

Midfield:
    Benat - Not so famous outside Spain, but had a breakout season last year at 24, earning two caps for Spain before Euro 2012, and was probably the first midfielder to miss out. Has since been capped again, in a midfield group consisting exclusively of Iniesta, Xavi, Fabregas, Javi Martinez, Busquets, Cazorla, Silva and Navas. Benat is in that group now, preferred to players like Juan Mata, Javi Garcia, Isco, Thiago and Mikel Arteta. When you're a creative CM playing for Spain, you can play. Stylistically, Benat is well described here "Disciplined defensively, deceptively mobile and blessed with a wonderful range of passing, Benat is a free kick specialist and central creator who is something of a mixture between Xabi Alonso and Xavi in terms of his playing style." Personally I see him more as a Modric type. He finished last year with 6 goals and 5 assists in La Liga and is expected to move this summer to a Champions club, with Manchester City and Arsenal frequently mentioned.
    Xabi Alonso - A fantastic passer and a solid tackler. The 3rd best central midfielder in the draft behind Xavi Hernandez and Iniesta, for me.
    Busquets - The best defensive mid in the world and the best one-touch passer at Barca, according to Xavi. Has won everything. Will cover Hummels when the German goes forward.

Summary: The best passing midfield 3 in the draft, and the best protection for defense, anchored by the midfield two that is so dominant for Spain.

Fullbacks:
    Balzaretti - Starter in 3 games for Italy in Euro 2012, Balzaretti's best attacking year was in 2010-11, when he recorded 7 assists for Palermo. A late bloomer, Balzaretti has his first cap in 2010 but has recorded 14 since. A good defender - enough so that when Italy had injuries, he played RB against Germany in the semifinals -, his main strength is his aggressive running and attacking intelligence.
    Lichtsteiner - Zonal Marking's RB of the year in Europe 2011/12. His remarks will no doubt be better than any I would come up with:
    Perhaps the revelation of the season. Lichtsteiner was a fine player at Lazio, but more steady than spectacular, and most accustomed to playing as a wing-back. His move to Juventus has resulted in the best season of his career, capable of playing either in a back four or further forward in conjunction with a back three. Tireless running has been the main feature of his play, although he’s also very good with the ball at his feet. His relationship with Andrea Pirlo – where Lichtsteiner constantly arrived late around the back of the defence to meet crossfield passes, was particularly enjoyable. His best performance, in a tactical sense, was in the away win at Inter, when his driving runs dragged the entire Inter side out of shape.

CenterBacks:
    Hummels- Along with Thiago Silva, one of Zonal Marking's two best centre backs in Europe in 11/12. Again, I'll quote from him:
    A second consecutive appearance for a player who has now confirmed himself as one of the continent’s best defenders. Hummels has the lot – he’s technically impressive but also capable of doing scrappy defensive things in the penalty box. He’s essentially the complete modern centre-back, and his partnership with Neven Subotic has probably been the best in Europe over the past two seasons.
    Benatia- Along with Benat, a player highly rated in his domestic league whose team lack of success in Europe means he's underrated outside of it. Benatia was named Serie A Defender of the year for the 10/11 season by Serie A's Official Site. Along with Barzagli and Thiago Silva, Benatia was nominated for best defender by the league's players. Probably the 2nd or 3rd best defender in Serie A during this draft, with Thiago Silva outplaying everyone and Barzagli, Benatia and Chiellini the only serious contenders for #2. Benatia was Moroccan Footballer of the Year in 2011, Ballon D'or Arabe in 2012. If you haven't seen him, he's a tough CB with excellent mobility. He'll be the stay at home defender dominating the box and giving Hummels and Busquets the freedom to defend aggressively.

Summary: Two fullbacks who are good defensively and tireless runners offensively, the 2nd best centre back in Europe with the kind of physical, mobile partner he has excelled with at club level. 2 of the best 4 defenders in Serie A, along with Barzagli and Chiellini.

Goalkeeper:
    Handanovic - Inter's starter and winner of seemingly every goalkeeping award in Italy in 2011, despite Buffon's comeback season and his team going undefeated. Handanovic won Serie A Goalkeeper of the Year, Oscar Del Calcio keeper of the year and was the keeper for the Serie A Team of the Year. He saved 6 penalties last year, is 6'5 and has 59 caps for Slovenia. Possibly the best keeper in the world right now. “He is the best goalkeeper in Europe,” says the Atalanta coach Stefano Colantuono.

Sub:
    De Guzman - He's a solid CM/AM who had a great 10/11, scoring 6 goals for Mallorca and earning an 8 million pound move to Villareal. If I need a 4th CM to really dominate the middle (playing Italy's Euro 2012 Diamond) or hold a lead, he can come in for one of the wide attackers.

14. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Holy__Joe

GK Petr Cech
    RB Joao Pereira
    LB Fabio Coentrao
    CB Nevan Subotic
    CB Mamadou Sakho
    CM Marouane Fellaini
    CM Yohan Cabaye
    CM Thiago Alcantara