SheBelieves 2021

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It had nothing to do with that, as I understand it.

FIFA didn't want a men's tournament that could arguably be as important as the World Cup. They didn't want to compete with the Olympics.

At the time, the women's World Cup tournament was much smaller, and they did not have that concern.

If they ever seriously cared about women's soccer, we might see this change in the Olympics as well.

Hexa and West Ender repped this.
  2. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    #627 luvdagame, Mar 1, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    huh?

there are fairly mild definitions that fit here perfectly.

hatch, watt, balcer, huerta, williams?

...and i love to watch kerr. (not to the exclusion of all the others). i tune in to english streams to do so. wsl teams know this. she grabs a few eyeballs, and can probably help them win. that’s why they (not australian teams or its fa) paid mucho bucks for the next 2-3 years of her talent, at which time they hope to make a profit, or just release her if she’s not good enough.

not perfect, but i see the sense, and i get what cliveworshipper is arguing.

it’s all very subjective. no?

the high school/club coaches are subjective.

the college coaches are subjective.

the ynt and nt coaches are....

the pro coaches are....

the players themselves are....

we are..?

jnielsen repped this.
  3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct. To be even more specific, at the time, the WWC was not only smaller, it had only existed for one tournament. The U23 restriction has existed since 1992, and there was no women's Olympic soccer. (Before 1992, there were restrictions on UEFA and CONMEBOL, the strongest confederations, to limit their teams to only having players who had not played in a WC. And before those restrictions, pros weren't allowed by the IOC.)

4. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep.

I went to a game at the initial women's Olympic games in 1996.

Thank you for reminding me it was the first...

5. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Bull. Wanting a domestic league to develop talent for the NT is not "Xenophobia."

I would love to see those players (Williams excepted) get a look-in to see how they fare. But, if any of those was subbed in for one of the Big 5 in an important match, would you have confidence in them?

Regarding Williams, I think she has shown that she's not a scorer at the international level. I think she could get there. But, she's not there now. I hope she gets there, I'm a fan.

I'd love to watch the English and French league's too. If there is no U.S. player involved, all things being equal, I'd rather watch a foreign women's league match than men's.

6. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Lynn William's isn't young, at least not what I would consider young.

7. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    And, there's that, too.

8. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    It has nothing to do with the Olympics or the national team. Just stop! It is about their livelihood. You know this so stop dancing around the ridiculous post you made. If women's soccer players give up their spots on the national team, they are giving up their primary income. Now let me know when you think Lebron and Tom Brady just give up their primary income to let someone else have a shot at guard for the Lakers or QB for Tampa.

9. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    pardon, but you keep continuously referencing Brady & Lebron where whoever's below them are getting incredlibly well paid as well

women's pro soccer is an completely different world where easily the most balanced league out there (NWSL) got a min. starting salary of $25K to an max of just 50K(notice the headline; fraction of what men make)
    National Women's Soccer League boosts salaries, but they're still a fraction of what men earn | Fox Business
    meantime Rapinoe done quite as well turning herself into an millionaire
    megan rapinoe worth - Google Search
    she has also gotten an offer from Barca(which probably will pay 6 figures) with no need to even play much(since they all ready got arguably the two best wingers in the world) but so far, hasn't taken the offer

my anology would be in keeping with just womens's soccer(so please no more Brady & Lebron), what's been the #2 ranked country in woso for the last two decades, Germany, all ready told their oldies, Goessling & Laudehr(both 34 years old) , they can't play anymore for their NT(which only goes up to age 30). Despite starting all season long for Wolfsburg(just 1 of 2 only pro playing clubs in that country), she's been told the club don't want her anymore
    if you didn't know yet; you can watch England leagues here
    The FA Player
    it's a free sign up, the only most of the games between the big four aren't live(since their usually broadcasted by BBC). Sometimes NBC Sports Network showed some of their games on Sunday mornings, but not lately

Lyon demands an rather expensive subscription to stream their games. There was this one French youtube poster that wa posting their games, but he got suspended, so hard to find their games

jnielsen repped this.
  10. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Thank you. I want to prioritize watching NWLS, since it's the domestic league. But, as I've said, my priority is watching US-eligible players.

I posted a list in one of the threads, just based on stats from 2019-2020, of players that appear to be rising goal scoring threats. Don't have the time to look for it, but it included Hatch & Huerta. Do they have NT potential? Anyone?

I would sure hate to see Purce get "Dunned." I hope Crystal and Margret can be moved up the pitch. In the NT matches, Purce just glows with ability. And, I'd like to see CD get her chance up top, too. I hope that after the Oly's, Vlatko does a complete re-start and gives Crystal and Midge a chance to prove themselves at their club positions.

11. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Two issues. Who does a Dunn or Purce replace. And who replaces Dunn? Dunn is a top (if not the top) left back defender in the world. That, to me, is the bigger issue. Arguably Davidson, but I think she needs more seasoning, and worse, if I understand correctly, she is in the midfield on her club team?

12. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I don't know who they replace. My point is that after the Olympics, I'd like to see Vlatko start from scratch and Dunn & Purce get a shot at earning spots as forwards.

Who replaces Crystal at LB? I don't know. But, I know she wants to play forward. I know she has been an outstanding forward in club ball. I'd like to see her given a chance. I'm not saying moving her from left back would be the best for the team. I'd just like to see her get a shot at her preferred position - a position she can play well.

I also don't think it's impossible for us to find a comparable left back. I've posted before, that I think World Cup Klingenberg was a better left back, offensively and defensively, than Crystal is. Megan was a great holder and distributor in that tournament. And, she's an excellent defender. Crystal has her beat for recovery speed, and probably for goal scoring. But, that's it, and it's not like Crystal scores much from her left back position. But, yes, Crystal is extremely valuable as a left back. And, replacing her with an ordinary left back would drop the team's competitiveness.

13. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    The impact of Covid and the upcoming Olympics has led to the impression that the pool of potential players is a lot smaller than it is. I assume u-23,20 players all have potential as do some College players. Recent events have robbed most of the chance to stake a claim.

14. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    I never understood why Klingenberg fell out of favor. She's only 32, on this current rendition of the USWNT, that puts her in the middle, age wise. Heh. But she's not been invited to anything Team related in a long while. But hey, look at K. Mewis.

With Heath. Press and Morgan 31/32, seem like they will be around at least 2 more world cup cycles, but worse, all are set to retire around the same time. Rapinoe (I think) will be finished after the next World Cup. If Lloyd isn't on the Olympic Roster, she might call it a day? I see the problem. Morgan and Heath both joined the USWNT at age 20... Press at age 25... There is no room on this roster in major tournaments for 20-25 year olds. Pugh? She's fallen out of favor of late. Now Macario, but what is she? Forward or Midfielder?

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  15. slacker

slacker Member

Nov 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Decent article in Goal.com on roster predictions for Olympics

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/usw...g-18-players-tokyo/1xste6tby7t611i8vbq68crx9h

This writer has Lloyd on the outside looking in. I tend to agree.

Right now Carli has primarily been playing center forward (with Alex Morgan out on maternity leave) and while Lloyd is a great playmaker, her finishing is still just not consistent enough. Her pressing is decent, but not really a unique strength. I agree with the writer that Press is probably a better second choice for Morgan's center forward slot, as we have other talented attackers who could slot in as winger.

Even if Tobin Heath is not back to full health and good form, and ends up cut, I don't see Lloyd filling that spot, as she really does not have the speed to be very effective on the wings.

With a roster of 23 Lloyd could be a great super sub, like Wambach at 2015 WWC, to chase a goal or help kill off a game. But I think she's on the outside looking in for Olympics.

Looking at potential 18 woman rosters I also am still left a bit concerned at who can step in to the holding mid role Ertz plays if she goes down to injury. I don't feel overly comfortable with anyone else in that role because we so seldom play without her in there. I wish Vlatko would try out a few players in that position / role against decent opposition- not merely Argentina or Colombia level teams.

16. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recall seeing quite some time ago that Kling retired from international play. I have a guess as to the reason -- if you watch her play these days she very seldom heads the ball. Something of interest about her, in games she runs the greatest distance of any of the Thorns. She is very much an end to end player.

NCChiFan and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  17. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    In the WC, she was up the field tons. Rapinoe covered back (very ably) a ton for her. It's interesting, with Dunn, you'd think we'd see the same thing, but we are soooo reliant on Pino for goals now, and, Pino doesn't have the legs to cover back like she did back then - so, Dunn doesn't get the same benefit from that partnership.

18. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Please stop talking in circles. It has nothing to do with how much they make. Your comment was simple and asinine. You wanted two women to give up their career/livelihoods so someone else had a chance. Own it. It is ridiculous. This is my last response. The ignore button is now used.

sweepsit and Bob Lamm repped this.
  19. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    Thank you, yrts. Totally with you on the issue being discussed here. And I respect your decision to hit your "ignore button."

ytrs repped this.
  20. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    full game played earlier today, Macario starting for Lyon
    Wnited(quick sign up required/no fee, no spam)

jnielsen and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  21. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    #646 luvdagame, Mar 6, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    i read "being xenophobic" as a worry or fear of foreign players taking forward positions on nwsl teams. i was not annoyed. blame my illiteracy.

anyway, regarding whether the nwsl is developing forwards for the wnt, i still think the answer is yes. there are only 10 teams. you get an alex morgan maybe every decade or so from such a small group.

22. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Well, having no forwards under the age of 31, who we could plug in and thing "maybe she'll score ...... " I've got to differ.

23. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there is a clear need for succession planning at forward. On the other hand, that is a completely different issue than whether there are too many foreign-based forwards in the NWSL, given that there are more than 40 US-based forwards. Although my preference would be for the US to treat the Olympics as part of the lead-up to the 2023 WWC, when deciding on the Olympics roster, I understand there are reasonable arguments why the Olympics should be an end in themselves. If that is how the roster goes, however, I am concerned that having only two years to transition to a new group of forwards may not be enough time.

In terms of succession planning, I am not ready to conclude one way or the other whether there are good candidates for the forward position and, if there are, if there are enough of them. Dunn is a possibility. Purce may be too, but having watched her in Portland for a couple of years, I am not sure how well she links up with other players. Perhaps that is only a matter of time and experience. There are other players too, like Smith, who are just starting to get some experience both as pros and as WNT players. The question for me is whether, after the Olympics, there will be enough time to both sort those players out and have the ones who survive get enough playing time with the WNT for the team to be the well-oiled group we saw in 2019. After all, the current group of Loyd, Morgan, Press, Rapinoe, and Heath have been in the WNT picture for a very long time. I do not see anything like them as an upcoming group in the current picture.

On the other hand, our mid-field looks just the opposite to me. Our current mid-field group is like the senior forward group, but they still are relatively young.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  24. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    2023 I don't see much in the way of Roster spots for World Cup at Forward. Perhaps 1? Lloyd's if she hangs em up. And Crystal isn't young. She will be 30 in 2023. The core, Heath, Press, Pinoe, and Alex will still be there if healthy. Perhaps change out William's and Lloyd for Macario and Smith? Could be a spot in the midfield deep? Macario? Bring up a younger forward? Pugh? Or is she done? I don't follow the Under Teams, I'm sure there must be some talent up and coming at Forward. Perhaps we will see in 2022.

West Ender and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  25. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I think it is not unreasonable to say they are one of the greatest units in the history of sport. Lloyd and Pino would be on the fringe of conversations about All Time Best XI. Heath and Press are among the best forwards in the world. Morgan may get back to that level.