SheBelieves 2021

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Disapproving Hippo

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 17, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #576 Disapproving Hippo, Feb 25, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    I admit I am one of those that would time and time again think well they will lose at some point but time and time again I am proven wrong. My latest justification was the Netherlands lol.

2. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Depth of talent is more important than absolute talent.

Hexa and jnielsen repped this.
  3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, is it just my impression or USA didn't win last Olympic games in Rio? Didn't it happen? o_O

4. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I feel so relieved! Thank you.

5. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Should bring in two more teams in future SBC. Should be top six teams England, Netherlands, Spain, Japan, Germany and U.S. Make it a Super SBC.

6. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    Oh I was there alright.
    My personal favorite was Green Acres.

Now,
    On to more ominous news.
    Looks like y'all had better get your streaming hats secured tightly in the coming years....Paramount Plus has bought the rights to US SOCCER

CoachJon and imasyko repped this.
  7. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Say what? What forwards are you talking about exactly?

jnielsen and Number007 repped this.
  8. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Yes. Exactly.

jnielsen repped this.
  9. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    That most likely means we won't be able to see the full game on youtube afterwards if we couldn't see the match live.

West Ender repped this.
  10. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    #585 RalleeMonkey, Feb 25, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    McSkillz, You know the player pool as well or better than I do. I don't know about you @NCChiFan

This is absolutely ridiculous. But, since I have to spell it out for you - I said "It needs explaining? The best 5 forwards on the best team in the world are 38, 35, 32, 32, and 31."

That would be Lloyd, Rapinoe, Press, Heath, Morgan.

I followed it up with "And, after that, there is no forward in the pool who appears to be a reliable scoring threat."

That would be ...... everyone else.

You really needed me to explained to you? I don't believe it. You claim to be a Bruin. No Bruin is that dumb. And, UCLA tends not to have bandwagon fans. I think you were just playing dumb, for some reason. Seriously, you really needed me to spell out which of our forwards was which age? I don't believe it.

11. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    It was conjectured on the MNT side, that "Paramount" is a repackaging of CBS All Access. That's $5/mo, I think. If you don't want to pony up for that, and I don't blame you. The only reason I do is that we dropped Spectrum cable, which saved us a sh*tton of money. We can spend the $5/mo on CBS and still be wayyyyyyy ahead of the game.

But, if you you don't want to pay for Paramount, many games will be on Spanish language channels for which there is no additional cost.

You can get an OTA antenna. Or, for, again - that magic number, $5, subscribe to Locast.com, which will allow you to stream your local channels, which are likely to include Spanish channels streaming matches.

12. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It serves you right for splitting your time rather than exclusively being with the extremely intelligent, highly evolved and very attractive people over here.

However, I realize that “internet sensations” such as yourself have multiple contractual obligations, appearance fee arrangements, commission based content contracts etc. etc. sooooooo we forgive you.:D:D

13. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is no longer conjecture, CBS All Access switches to Paramount + on March 4.

It's my understanding that the basic with commercials package is actually a dollar cheaper $4.99 instead of $5.99. The non-commercials package, which is the one I have, is $9.99 per month.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  14. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    A few major impressions of the Argentina game:

Way way the best game for Kreuger-- very aggressive and effective on offense, which has always been what kept her back on the national team. I've always thought her the best 1 v 1 defender available, but she's always been completely ineffective at connecting forward at this level, and tentative at getting up into the attack in the corner; but not this time. Real good game.

Way better from Smith; weaker opposition, obviously, and no need to keep an eye out for Marta, but still, a better chance to show what she can do running at people. But still, even these folks, when it came to disputable balls in the midfield were able to shield her slight frame and limited reach away from the ball and gain possession. I wonder if her real future isn't as one of those young forwards RM wants to see...

I'm really liking Purce a lot. Not flashy, but smart and solid, a player you write into your starting lineup and leave there for ten years while you look to improve at weaker spots. (Why the hell did autocorrect change "write" into "right" there?)

Sonnet played well. I don't worry about her any more. She can do what is needed out of the roster spot; whether that spot will exist on an Olympic roster of 18 is something which will be settled partly on other issues entirely, however. Can't have everything, perhaps. I always think of what Whitey Herzog said about devoting more time to choosing the last person on his baseball rosters than all the others combined-- because what the last person could do was going to determine what he would need to ask of the other 24 players.

Somebody already pointed it out, but I will again-- Brunn played the whole tournament without looking particularly worn down.

Horan had a terrific tournament passing-- and her one touch passes were, I think better percentage -wise than her more considered ones. Must have been over 80%.

There's a case to be made for Rose as MVP-- but I think I'd have voted for Debinha. I've never been convinced that it should always go to the winning team... and I think Brazil may have gotten more out of this tournament than anybody else. Solidified the defensive side of their conciousness, identified a clutch of players the next iteration of the team will be built around, developed a good deal more trust in each other and Pia, learned that they have ways to win games and score goals with attributes other than just speed and grace...

jnielsen, CoachJon, Hexa and 2 others repped this.
  15. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I agree with the majority that’s it’s the best 5 fwd tandem in the world, but the US is an cut above the rest of the world. Our subs would of won the 2019 WC.
    What I don’t get is with all the glory & medals, why those five don’t want to retire & give someone else a chance? The only way to make an 6 figure salary is to be part of the NT & then get the extra bonus with winning major tournaments. If you don’t as me the NT, then your stuck playing in the low paying NWSL where any college grad would make better pay in a day job(with an heck lot better benefits). As an result, we’ve seen a lot of players retiring players in their prime if they can’t make the NT(as I believe Hinkle has(often called the best FB in the world))
    Yeah, and I understand me being a Bernie bro yet most turned down Bernie & rather believe in the virtues of capitalism that the best deserve to be the most payed. But take a look at those 5;

Morgan(dad’s an dentist)
    Press(born & raised in Rolling Hills Estates(u southern cal folks know exactly how rich that town is))
    Lloyd & Heath one(2 of the 3 of the Jersey girls were born in what’s been called one of the ten richest counties in the US)
    Rapinoe(heard she came from money too, just dunno the backdrop story)

I also read where Lloyd charges $1200 for her one night stay/2 day soccer camp

so I believe all 5 make plenty of money, more importantly came from money. Got well trained cause of money. Got passed their lean years because of money

so why can’t I get spread their love around & let someone else got the Olympics?

MRAD12 repped this.
  16. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    Just astonishing to me that a sports fan can't understand why great athletes don't want to retire--and give someone else a chance--when they have another opportunity, quite possibly their last, for international glory. Do we really need to explain this?

jnielsen, Hexa, cpthomas and 1 other person repped this.
  17. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    My response was from the standpoint of, aside from Mal, is there any young talent pushing the older forwards? Mal fell out of favor, and... Macario appears to be a mid fielder, but hey, look at Lloyd, most of her career was midfield. I do not see a young Heath or a young Alex.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  18. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapinoe is not from money. She's from a working class family in Redding, CA (you NorCal folks know what I'm talking about). Her memoir was a pretty interesting glimpse into what it takes to make it to the world class level in the sport from a small town without a lot of resources.

jnielsen and Bob Lamm repped this.
  19. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I think you have the wrong end of the famous formulation-- It isn't "From each according to their need, to each according to their ability."

And it isn't her ability going unrecognized that sent Hinkle into retirement; it was voluntary behaviors that made her abilities much less valuable. Had she been able to not concern herself with events in others bedrooms, she'd have had a run at a spot. I don't think she'd have won one anyway, because she was the best back in the world not of the style needed for this team more than she was actually the best.

Cy Young. Babe Ruth. Stan Musial. Pele. Peyton Manning. Brady. Jackie Slater. Gordie Howe. Jacques Plante. Chamberlain. Russell. Stockton. Lisa Leslie. There is nothing unusual in the cream of athletes in a team sport playing out really really long careers if not stopped by illness-- Gherig, Magic-- or injury-- Koufax.

What is unusual is Jim Brown retiring early; and he only did that because he got a better offer to do something else.

jnielsen and Bob Lamm repped this.
  20. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    Thank you, sweepsit. Really distressing that to make a point--to slash away at great players--someone would toss out a "fact" about Megan Rapinoe that is absolutely wrong. Is there any reason to trust what that same person said about Alex Morgan, Cristen Press, Carli Lloyd, or Tobin Heath? I won't.

21. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I'm really liking Purce a lot. Not flashy, but smart and solid, a player you write into your starting lineup and leave there for ten years while you look to improve at weaker spots. (Why the hell did autocorrect change "write" into "right" there?)
    [/QUOTE]

I agree with everything you wrote. But, since Purce is the rising star, imo. I'm deleting everything else, to highlight that. Btw, I think she can be flashy too. She's just settling in, and fullbacks don't have many opportunities to be flashy.

jnielsen and NCChiFan repped this.
  22. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Do you ask why Lebron James or Tom Brady don't retire to give other people a chance? They are set for life ten times over. Or is this just a female thing? Unbelievable that you actually wrote that these women should sacrifice their careers for others.

Bob Lamm repped this.
  23. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    Thank you, ytrs. One of the consequences of anonymity here is that we can't know if these comments encouraging USWNT members to retire represent a man raising what you rightly present as what might be a sexist double standard restricting female athletes.

ytrs repped this.
  24. Disapproving Hippo

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 17, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, my love for the USWNT is pretty intermittent. Around Rio, I had a strong bête noire (particularly post 2015 world cup...) for them so I honestly didn't care to follow their games that time so I'm obviously rather oblivious that they did lost in Rio.

25. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    I get your point but its a bad analogy. LBJ and TB12 are not playing for a National team. A better hypothetical would be a Dream Team scenario.
    They should not sacrifice their careers for anything, but the process of selection itself is self fulfilling and closed to others. you cant compare the two systems.

Im not endorsing either, just pointing out how different they are.