SheBelieves 2021

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    The USA are the best team in the world. Dissecting individual players outside the team context is fine, but as the standards improve globally, games will get closer and tactics and coaching will become even more important. Players are a function of how they are used and who they play with.

If soccer were that easy to play at the level Williams does, the USSF should just recruit young track athletes who are not quite good enough to make a creer of is and just teach them all the things we assume are so easy to learn. To play at the level Williams does is extremely difficult. Some may not like it, but its unfair to trivialize it.

jnielsen, lil_one, taosjohn and 3 others repped this.
  2. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    The lack of investment creates issues everywhere. Perception is miles away from the realities of the sport.

3. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    That is a strange one. None of the players on these lists ever looks that great in games against us either. The exception is Sam Kerr.

I think right now, Mewis, Dunn, Ertz, Sauerbrunn, are top 10. Lavelle, Horan, Press, Morgan, Dahlkemper are top 20. At least.

FIFA should prioritize a large Club World Cup for the women.

West Ender and hotjam2 repped this.
  4. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    I don't believe anyone is questioning Williams skill as far as her place in the world, but more trying to dissect her place on the team. She is in a fight to find playing time on a team with 4-5 arguably better, if not quite as fast (Press aside) soccer players in an area that can only see 3 play at a time. Can Williams cross like a Pino? Does she have the finishing touch of an Alex or Press? Can she dribble like Tobin (when healthy)? Or have the overall game of Carli? Williams has speed, no doubt... Can dish out assists, for sure. But there is something missing when trying to place her in the top 3. Perhaps a late sub when the USWNT is protecting a lead? She does play outstanding Defense. That good enough to put her on the 18 for the Olympics?

Edit: Where does she sit on the depth chart. I see Pino with Press backing on the left. Alex with Press and Carli backing at the 9. Tobin perhaps Williams backing her up?

West Ender repped this.
  5. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now, I'd say Williams is an Arriola-type as a comparison on the men's team. Comparatively speaking, I think she's more athletic than Arriola is. I can see her as a late-game defensive winger sub, but the last few games where I've seen her I don't think she really has "it" yet in terms of skills or finishing. She may be a player on the 23, but I just don't see her as a part of an 18-player Olympic roster. If anything right now, I'd almost give Lavelle a shot on the right with the ability to cut in on her left foot. I know there's a logjam in central midfield, and the ability of O'Hara (when healthy) to provide attacking width would give Lavelle license to work inside and get to use her left foot.

NCChiFan repped this.
  6. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    #481 Number007, Feb 23, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    Understand. I dont think coaches look at players the same way fans do. Playing with the pace, power and intensity she does is a skill, just like the other attributes you mention. Im not suggesting she should or should not be on the roster. I am saying that fans really underestimate how hard it is to do what she does. The interference is, imagine how much more valuable she could be if ..... I think thats unfair. She is clearly very valuable to the USA and the coach already.

The late game sub part works the other way as well. WOuld you rather Williams wore down the French fullbacks buy forcing them to play deeper and pressuring them defensively for 75 mins and if needed in a close game where you needed a goal, bring in a more clinical finisher to play vs a tired or back up fullback? Its a squad game and how you use your squad is important.

eg. FSU brought all ACC players off the bench this year for tactical reasons. Does not mean the starters were better, just used differently. No one would accuse Mark Krikorian of not knowing what he is doing.

NCChiFan, BrooklynSoccer and Klingo3034 repped this.
  7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Are advanced stats or heat maps for the last match available anywhere?

West Ender repped this.
  8. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a feeling that's info only obtained via a paid subscription.

9. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found a better version of the USA vs Brazil match (720p at 60 fps):

jackdoggy and Klingo3034 repped this.
  10. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also found Argentina vs Canada, in case anyone is interested:

jackdoggy repped this.
  11. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    What a wonderful story.
    I do remember you telling me you are a teacher but I always wondered what you taught...???
    Anyway....
    Tobin seems to have an amazing worldwide appeal. I had a similar experience in Japan in 2019 when I was at a noodle bar in Shibuya.
    A girl walked up to me, pointed to my #17 USWNT jersey and said “Tobin Heat- Kanojo wa yoi senshudesu“

blissett repped this.
  12. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Post-match press conference with Vlatko and Christen Press.
    I thought it's interesting to note that Vlatko was not concerned about the poor finishing.
    He made a good point that this is the off-season for the players.
    As they get back into rhythm playing for their clubs, that final touch will come.

13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Oh, quite a large range of subjects: Italian grammar and literature, Latin grammar and literature, in some grades history also.

"My Japanese is better" (as Placebo were singing in "Pure Morning") but, despite Japan being my favourite team, I sometimes still need clarifications to some sentences. :giggle:

zdravstvuyte repped this.
  14. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    international games are not easy to arrange. you play who you can schedule. they just played the european champions/world cup finalists a few months ago and did great.

not sure they developed bad habits since then.

it just depends on what vlatko was working on this time around, and what the opposing coach is trying as well.

jnielsen repped this.
  15. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Nobody said it was anyone's fault. They played the Dutch without their one world class player that might have tested the defense.

Maybe they didn't develop bad habits. Maybe the defense is just poor. What is crazy is Beckie's finishing and Debinha's decision making were even worse haha.

jnielsen repped this.
  16. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Argentina is pretty clearly the poorest team at the SBC and the US plays them later today. So far the US has not really showed any ability to put teams away and this is the last chance for then to actually score goals.

This match "should" be no challenge for the US BUT their inability to score is concerning. If you let a hungry team hang around then you leave open the possibility that thigs can go horribly wrong in just a few seconds.

This should be 5 or 7 to 0. But the US has already played down to fairly weak opposition and they "may" do that again.

I hope the coaches show a bit more imagination in this game than they have earlier and I think it is imperative that they play a different goalkeeper so as to at least get a little experience for one backup. If the coach does not play a different keeper then my opinion of him will drop WAY down. There is very little advantage to keeping playing the same keeper over and over when the game really mean nothing with their only reason for being, from a player and coaches standpoint, is evaluating and developing players. He should know all he needs about the starting keeper and should try to learn what little he can about at least one of the backups. I do NOT think this match should, baring injury, be split between the two backups. Pick one and allow her to play the entire match no matter how inactive she is.

The interest in this game only comes from the question: what will the US do to actually score some good goals? Also what will the players that have shown little so far do to try to impress.

I am less optimistic about this coach because of his handling of the goalkeepers but it is still possible he has good plans BUT this non-rotation of keepers is concerning.

Admittedly training for goalkeepers can simulate game conditions better than it can for field players but that does not mean the backups do not need game time. They do need it. Just not as much as field players.

We have to see what is planed but the first two matches have not really done much and I hope the coaches show a little imagination in this match.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  17. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Besides seeing a back up goalie, we should also see a back up center back like Tierna.

jnielsen repped this.
  18. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be happy to see Jaelin as well. Since I can't watch her at FSU this spring, this would be a fine substitute.

West Ender repped this.
  19. mzbats

mzbats New Member

Canada
    May 19, 2019
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Does anybody know if there’s a stream of the Canada Brazil game today? I’m in Canada and it’s not on TV here shockingly.

20. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God, as an American, I hope Canathug loses. GO BRAZIL! :sneaky:

EDIT: yeah yeah yeah! Brazil totally scored 1-0!

21. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!

Questo è stupefacente !
    Mi sarebbe piaciuto studiare l'italiano quando vivevo a Bergamo ...
    Ma non avevo tempo e assorbivo solo con l'orecchio.
    E stasera l'Atalanta ha perso negli ultimi minuti
    So then, as to the Placebo song
    La traduzione giapponese è "È una brava giocatrice"

Forza USWNT !

blissett repped this.
  22. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    #497 FawcettFan14, Feb 24, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    Campbell
    O’Hara Sauerbrunn Davidson Krueger
    Ertz
    Lavelle K. Mewis
    Press Lloyd Rapinoe

Kristie Mewis with first WNT start in... many moons.

Krueger = Short for those confused

Lots of chances for the frontline to pad their goal stats today. Although Argentina has been better than I expected, given their team was inactive for over a year.

The backup keepers only get to play against tomato can teams. I find this problematic. Say you are in an Olympic semi, and Naeher gets injured. Campbell comes in with only caps against teams like Arg or Colombia. I think we should be challenging the backups more so they are prepared.

23. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Hope to see Macario in the second half. To be honest she didn't impress too much but she didn't do anything to write her off. She needs some development and time to adjust her game to play with the #1 team.

24. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    She has already returned to Lyon.

blissett repped this.
  25. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005