SheBelieves 2020

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Jan 8, 2020.

1. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More from Andonovski on the Equalizer on his plans for SheBelieves and cutting down the roster:
    “There will be certain things that we want to see. There will be certain players that will play with certain players on the field and there’ll be certain individuals that may get a little more time or a little less time. That will ultimately help me in making a final decision.”

https://equalizersoccer.com/2020/03/04/uswnt-shebelieves-cup-preview-results-progress/

3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those not watching the non-US games, Iwabuchi scored a goal to remember:

Spain just went up a goal though. Currently 2-1.

4. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Finished Spain 3-1 Japan.

1-1 @ HT, then two second-half goals from Lucia Garcia.

5. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #80 Smallchief, Mar 5, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    Spain is no slouch. They were the only team which looked like they could beat the US at the World Cup.

Maybe Lucia Garcia is the forward they need to get into the top 5. Or maybe that Japanese goalie misplayed both of the balls that led to her goals. Garcia doesn't look like she has blazing speed -- but she got open twice. And finished.

6. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those attending any of the games, players have been instructed to take precautions so you may not get as much interaction as in the past:

CoachJon repped this.
  7. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #82 lil_one, Mar 8, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    In the England-Japan game, England just scored to go up 1-0 late in the game.

EDIT: And now FT. England wins 1-0.

Mills repped this.
  8. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Watched most of the Game and England far from dominated. I thought it would end a tie the way it was going and then England scored. Other than that, I thought Japan was actually better. Their main problem is the are physically too small to win headers and get pushed around a bit easily.

If you think about it... Spain took Japan apart much more than England did and now we face Spain in 15 minutes. It took us a long time to score on England... This game could be interesting and I really hope we havent caulked up a "W" already or we could get surprised

9. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Correction: Japan loses 1-0. ;)

10. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Starting lineup has 4 changes. Rapinoe, Mewis, WIlliams Sonnet. Out are Press (bad move) Horan, and Heath (good), Ohara

11. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The coronavirus is hitting a little closer to our woso world now: the head of JFA has tested positive for COVID-19. He attended some events at SheBelieves, but returned to Japan on March 8. He wasn't at the Japan-US game, but he was at a media scrum in Orlando on March 5 after watching the Japan-Spain match. He began experiencing symptoms on March 15th, but its unclear exactly when/where he was infected. It was possibly at a UEFA meeting (other participants have tested positive) which was on March 2-3 in Amsterdam.

sitruc repped this.
  12. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This is concerning. People do not need to show symptoms to be contagious and the virus can be persistent on some surfaces for days like plastic and stainless steel. It just takes one contagious person to infect hundreds directly in dense crowds and from there it just balloons. I hope there were no people infected at the She Believes cup but, if there were not it was just dumb luck.

13. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Hopefully not but most likely he spread it. Shaking hands and touching all kinds of surfaces like doors and buttons.

14. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't say "most likely." I would say its possible, but we don't know. There's some evidence to show that people are most contagious when symptomatic (at least according to the CDC), and he started having symptoms much later.
    US Soccer issues a statement saying that they don't think he interacted with any US staff or fans (he did with media though). Orlando City SC also issued a similar statement.

15. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You are mostly right but it is the virus load (how much virus is in the system) that really determines when a person is most contagious. Several studies by several agencies like the CDC and whatever the equivalent is in Italy and China seem to show that the virus load can peak up to a week before symptoms show. It does not always act that way but it can. This virus is one of the best that have ever been at propagating itself.
    Its death rate is pretty low but still significant the viruses that kill or sicken people quickly are not nearly so good at that and hence are easily contained.
    It has a pretty long and sometimes asymptomatic period where it can be transmitted human to human that allows it to infect as many people as possible. It is not the case here but you would have difficulty designing a virus that is better suited to its long term survival.
    It is also sometimes contagious after most of the symptoms have gone.
    It is quite persistent on many surfaces.

That all says that it is very hard to get in front of this thing. WE, the humans of Earth, should have been taking steps pretty much when this virus was first seen. At least the isolation procedures should be implemented as soon as there is a diagnosed case in any country or in really big countries like the US as soon as there is a case in that state.

By allowing events like the She Believes cup or even retirement dinners or birthday parties to go on everyone involved in the decision process places money and convenience above people's health and well being.

I hope all is OK with everyone that attended events after the social isolation should have been implemented are OK but it would not surprise me to see that the irresponsibility exhibited by people from the top of the US government all the way down to the Texas officials and to the people at places like the USSF results in a whole new set of spread vectors for the virus. They did nothing to help and they may have injured the country unnecessarily.

16. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't read all of that, tbh (no offense intended), but for my own sanity and anxiety levels, I'm choosing to rely on medical professionals, scientists, and reliable news sources for information on the virus, not social media or BigSoccer posts (and I don't know that any of you are doctors).

But in any case, I'd like to point out that its not even proven that the JFA president had COVID-19 during the SheBelieves events. Its possible, but no one here knows when he got it (the UEFA event is possible because of others testing positive). I didn't post the info so that people could point fingers or assume he infected others (although I should have expected that reaction, I know). I just was saying that its hitting a little closer to home for woso fans.