SheBelieves 2018

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Feb 1, 2018.

1. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. If a team is scoring enough to win games, and the goals come from mid-fielders (or, for that matter, from backs), what difference does it make?

This is a soccer theory question, not intended as a comment one way or the other on US forwards scoring.

2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Well, probably none if we are winning, but if we are winning and the scoring is out of the midfield, then it isn’t a midfield problem, is it?

We didn’t even get on the podium this last FIFA tourney, ( first time EVER) so maybe the issue with the forwards does make a difference.

Namdynamo and Patrick167 repped this.
  3. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Imo, our forwards are going to struggle if Horan and Carli are the playmakers. Neither of them came up as a 10. Neither is a particularly nimble dribbler. Neither is adept at unlocking a defense with a pass. Of the 3 that were on the field against England, Long is more likely to be a forward feeder. But, she is also going to have the highest work rate protecting the back line so she played back there.

I don't know why Morgan Brian didn't play. She's not exactly a play maker, but she could have played the 6, freeing Long to move up to one of the 8's. Or, she could have played as one of the 8's and given us more mobility and activity than Horan and Carli.

Imo, I think that Press would be better than Horan or Carli in the role they were given.

4. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    It's fair to scrutinize the forwards. However, it's not helpful to view stats outside the context of what the team is doing. Just commenting that the forwards aren't scoring therefore forwards are the issue is simplistic if not outright lazy.

5. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Interesting idea. I think Ertz, Mewis, Horan is Ellis' first choice midfield, but Mewis when she comes back isn't a true #10 either. I think Ellis was banking on Horan filling that role, but her performances have been uneven. Press is more nimble than any of those other three, and she would be well placed to shoot from outside the box. My question is: she is capable of clever passing, but her forward instincts make her a shoot-first type player. She was always better for Chicago as the pure striker rather than the playmaker. Can she develop the brain of a #10? And, will Ellis forgive Press for this Houston Dash drama? She seems in the doghouse right now.

Other options people were banking on -- Lloyd (too old, not good enough passer), Brian (too slow/injured), Pugh (established on wing), Lavelle (seems fragile) are not panning out.

I wish Holiday was still playing.

Namdynamo, RalleeMonkey and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  6. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't tell you how many times I've said that.
    My favorite player all time.

MRAD12 repped this.
  7. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I think there is a reasonable chance that between Lavelle, Sullivan, and McCaskill, one of those could step up and be a playmaker. But, Press would not be a bad back up plan. Heck, Dunn could do it too.

8. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She was trashed regularly on this thread in the lead up to the 2015 WWC.

jnielsen and taosjohn repped this.
  9. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    I was definitely critical of playing Holiday at DM. It often resulted in opponents exploiting her weaknesses and wasted her strengths.

10. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On this thread?
    That's how you know how to sort out the good opinions for the not-so-good ones. :)

Dundalk24 repped this.
  11. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Not from me. I was a big fan, as well as knew her family.
    Unbelievable ball skill and soccer intelligence.
    The USWNT could def. use another Lauren Cheney/Holiday.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  12. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    McCaskill is my top choice as a creative, dangerous and playmaking 10 (but you already know that :)) I think she has a chance with Ellis: She is strong and wins balls and she can score. I think she is very creative and skilled, but that's not a skill set that will get her on the field. Once on the field, I think she will shine because of her more sophisticated abilities. Call me a fanboy, but she is the first player to really entertain.

Patrick167 repped this.
  13. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    A few years here, a few years there, pretty soon you’re talking a really long (and clairvoyant) thread.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  14. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, OK, so it wasn't this thread. :oops:

15. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry CP, I was just making fun.
    A 23.5 hour extension on the edit feature would be nice.

16. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    The team needs LaVelle back on the field, and badly, IMO. She gives the team some pace, flair and dynamism in the middle of the field, which has been noticeably lacking in her absence. Without her the attack has got pretty stagnant.

17. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    I like her a lot too. Would love to see a little more flair injected into our game.I think McCaskill offers potentially a sturdier version.

18. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Not by me. I've always valued her skillset. She was misused as a DM.

19. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    hmm so

Jill Ellis still going with Lloyd?
    Why doesn't Christen Press get any more time at the field?
    Is the girl playing goalkeeper, the best goalie in the US?
    Is Dahlkemper going to partner Sauerbrunn?
    Klingenberg's done?

jnielsen repped this.
  20. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jill Ellis still going with Lloyd? It looks to me like Ellis slowly is phasing her out. But I doubt she'll be all the way out by the World Cup, probably will play more of a Wambach 2015 role. But, that's just my opinion. I don't think anyone outside of the team really knows.

Why doesn't Christen Press get any more time at the field? Good question. It looks to me like Ellis likes the Rapinoe/Morgan/Pugh combo, and maybe even prefers Lynn Williams to Press.

Is the girl playing goalkeeper, the best goalie in the US? Another good question. Ellis certainly thinks so. Many think Franch is the best, and she gets called into some camps, but Ellis seems to have Harris and Campbell ahead of Franch.

Is Dahlkemper going to partner Sauerbrunn? Probably, but Davidson is making case for herself, frankly as possibly knocking either of them out. Sauerbruun probably is #1 on the depth chart, but there have been questions about whether she's lost some speed.

Klingenberg's done? Apparently. Especially if Ellis continues to try Dunn at left back, since Dunn most recently looked really good there. I think Klinger has the best cross of anyone on the team, but Ellis may feel she lacks sufficient speed.

Thomsen repped this.
  21. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    And Jill Ellis is still hired because...?

22. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Screen Shot 2018-03-18 at 2.49.57 PM.png

23. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
  24. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US won the last World Cup with her as coach and still is FIFA's #1 ranked team. Has there ever been a coach, of a men's or women's national team, with those two credentials that has been fired?

Whatever we bloggers think of Ellis, with those two credentials, it's not rocket science or brain surgery.

25. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1,057% of the attention of the Head Honchos of USSoccer may be focused on the perceived dumpster fire over on the Mens Side. Replacement of a recent World Cup winning coach is probably thought of as ridiculous.
    BWTHDIK - But What The H Do I Know.

taosjohn repped this.