SheBelieves 2018

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Feb 1, 2018.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ShibaLeaves Cup is back. The schedule is set, so we might as well start the thread.

March 1: England v France, 4 pm ET in Columbus, OH
    March 1: USWNT v Germany, 7 pm ET in Columbus, OH; televised on ESPN2
    March 4: USWNT v France, 12 pm ET in Harrison, NJ; televised on ESPN2

March 4: Germany v England, 3 pm ET in Harrison, NJ
    March 7: Germany v France, 4 pm ET in Orlando, FL
    March 7: USWNT v England, 7 pm ET in Orlando, FL; televised on ESPNews

This year there's more travel with a trip all the way down to Orlando. And like years previous, the non-US matches are not being televised, but perhaps they'll be streamed on ESPN3.

We probably won't see a roster until mid- to late Feb, but it'll be interesting to me to see who is back healthy. Will Lavelle, Brian, Sauerbrunn, Mewis and Heath be healthy by then? I think Heath is unlikely since she had surgery, albeit minor. The others are question marks for me though.

jnielsen and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    And why is the last match on ESPNNews? This is what u get when u make a deal for USMNT & MLS and the women r just a throw in.

jnielsen repped this.
  3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or its what you get when you're competing for TV time against college basketball.

4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The deal expressly allows them to move matches to ESPNU, EspnNews and ESPN3 if there is a conflict on ESPN1 or 2. I may be wrong but I can't ever remember a senior mens game getting moved off the two main feeds. If they were unable to provide proper coverage of a big tournament they should passed it off to FOX.

Patrick167 repped this.
  5. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's wrong with ESPNNews?

6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I get ESPN 1 & 2 ... beyond that, nothing

7. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't get ESPN News unfortunately. I think some cable/satellite companies consider it an upper tier subscription plan and my budget is for the basic service.

8. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN News is almost exclusively the highest tier cost package with all companies. So few people actually have it.

9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Yes and the top notch content offered by ESPNNews would certainly be worth moving up a tier for

10. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The sarcasm is strong with this one.

11. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    German Roster DV1cNTJU8AETUUX.jpg

Namdynamo, CoachJon and lil_one repped this.
  12. rustysurf83

rustysurf83 Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Or Bein or NBCSN (read: a company that isn’t losing the battle against cord-cutters). I guess we’ll be going out to watch most of these games...

13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Actually I think Im giving YouTubeTV a shot. They seem to offer the Redheaded stepchild Im looking for in their package.

14. rustysurf83

rustysurf83 Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I’ve been really happy with FuboTV. No ESPN, but most of the games we want to watch aren’t on ESPN anyways.

15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  16. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

17. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    It is reported that Ellis has already announced Naeher starts all three games. This seems like repeating the same mistake of the past of not developing a #2 GK.

jnielsen repped this.
  18. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, Franch would have been in camp, but for a quad injury.

19. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Glad to see Huerta and McCaskill, hope they get minutes.

Every coach has a pet, and Ellis loves Long. She wasn't even starting in the NWSL at the end of last season, but continues to get called.

With Mewis hurt, Brian in France, Lavelle probably hurt, Lloyd getting old, and Long not being in form, that is a lot to put on Horan, Sullivan, and Ertz. Really zero depth.

20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I just don't see how Ellis picks the #3 GK for WC. She never gives game experience to anyone but Naeher and if she were using the NWSL it's hard to figure how Campbell is a head of Franch.

Now Ellis feels she needs to announce before the tournament that Naeher gets all three games to help her gel with back line. Guess what...with Sauerbrunn out injured there is no back line to gel with. IMO Ellis should give one SBC match to each of her GKs and at least learn something about how they perform against quality teams.

CoachJon, jnielsen and Tracer repped this.
  21. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The schedule is so tight that everyone gets minutes. Be interesting to see how much Ellis feels she can press.

22. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Campbell is emblematic of a systemic problem with the USWNT. Not that she is a bad player, but the tendency is to identify girls at 15, and bring them through all the YNTs, then to the senior team. Girls not identified are never brought in. Only recently has a player like Lynn Williams cracked this code. Campbell was identified as Solo's replacement 5 years ago and even if she is not the best, it is her's to lose.

Smallchief repped this.
  23. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've not been very impressed with Campbell -- some excellent saves, but a good number of poor decisions. But, let's not jump to conclusions about who will be the GK of the future.

24. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    mace, long, & hatch (instead of mckaskill, who can play midfield in a pinch), get left out of the final roster.

who do you guys think get cut?

25. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From different thread RE: SB Tickets

From USsoccer Web Site Ticket Info
    Ticketing FAQs for Orlando City Stadium
    Do not have smartphone, what should I do?
    As early as possible on match day, go to the ticket office (near Gate A)((opens at 1:00)) and your ticket(s) can be printed for you.

Looks like we may have a reprieve after all. Obviously, we will want to bring as much info - CC, order #, blood type, etc. to prevent the unthinkable.

Semblance17 and CoachJon repped this.