Sharks pull out of MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by monster, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    And the Anschutization of MLS continues. Not that I'm complaining. Hope that guy has soccer-friendly will...

2. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The unknown part of the deal for Landon Donovan is that the team will not be known as the Bayer Nike Earthquakes (just kidding). Well, they have a marketable name for the next couple of years at least.

3. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Crazy_Quakes_Fan New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA
    Thank God. SJSE treated the team shabbily. At least Anschultz Entertainment can concentrate on marketing the team now without SJSE getting in the way.

4. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Quakes front office was doing some good things toward the end of the 2002 season. Was that SVS&E finally getting its act together, or had AEG stepped in by then?

5. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say the latter.

6. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    When Johnny Moore starting complaining about not getting enough support AEG stepped in and paid for some additional marketing personnel out of their own pocket by-passing SVS&E.

I think that confirms it's the latter.

7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was pretty inevitable once it was a co-op arrangement at the beginning of last season. Perhaps SVSE wanted to make sure they gave it a fair shake, or didn't think it would look right to dump the team after only one year and right after they won the Cup. Makes you wonder why they got into it in the first place, kinda.

So, let me make sure I have the scoreboard straight now:

Anschutz
    Colorado
    Chicago
    Los Angeles
    MetroStars
    DC United
    San Jose

Hunt
    Columbus
    Kansas City
    Dallas (at some point)

Kraft
    New England

Hunt is 70 years old.
    Anschutz is 62.
    Kraft is 61.

Right now, actuarians are beginning to sweat.

8. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, they are getting on in years. But doesn't that pretty much hold for the other major league sports as well?

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but when Leon Hess died, there was no one worried about the future of the NFL.

10. JMU Soccer!

JMU Soccer! New Member

Jul 19, 1999
    Rather disappointing actually. I thought if anyone knew how to market a sports team it was SVSE. They did wonders for the Sharks and I thought they might be able to do similar deeds for the Quakes. Oh well.

But with AEG taking the helm, no worries here.

11. CrazyF.C.

CrazyF.C. New Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Washington D.C.
    bad news indeed. To me, minus Donovan, SJ is a mess. Worst attendence (? correct me if I'm wrong ) , no owner on the horizon, no control over their own stadium on the horizon, not to mention the tiny field that makes games a little difficult to watch at times and really restricts donovan's development.

Perhaps, I'm draggin a dead dead dead dead horse up to beat, but I still think that keeping Miami over SJ might have been the better idea... If you are going to have anschutz take it over anyway, why not have a stadium that you control revenue for? Well, too late now... SJ just has to hold on for dear life.

12. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I know Hunt's children are very enthusiastic about soccer. Alot of dopes in KC complain that the Hunt's sons care more about the Wizards than the Chiefs.

13. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that's what NY/NJ fans were saying until the club had to deal with politicians in regards to the stadium deal as you know. His problems over the Qwest situation are a real problem. It's scarry having so much of the league depend on one corporation.

14. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Ultimately, though, money gets things done. He's a multi-bajillionaire. The ownership, or should I say, investorship, situation in MLS isn't ideal. But its much better than it could be.

15. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And for what it's worth, Johnathan Kraft is the member of the Kraft Family that's at nearly all the Revolution home games, and Johnathan's sons can be seen from time to time kicking a ball around with members of the team.

16. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree..And Uncle Phil loves the sport which is most important of all.
    Now if some of the Quake fans could get Bill Gates to a few games it would be appreciated.

17. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While some people preach gloom and doom about a future without Anschutz, I try to remember that there are people like Tim Liewieke and Kevin Payne who really run the show.

While some people might not like them personally, AEG is a company that can exist without Phil so long as he makes the provisions to keep it solvent after his death.

Plenty of businesses go on after the owner dies.

18. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad. Hopefully AEG can do a better job.

Why does it seem so often that MLS news is good news / bad news - all in the same day?

19. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree Northside...if it ain't one thing, it's another around here...

Sure has made for an interesting off season so far.

Stupid prediction: if AEG actually markets the Quakes from the beginning, attendance will rise 1,000 a game.

20. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully this means that the team will be better marketed and promoted. It's a shame to see such a good team with lousy attendance.

21. Mimir19

Mimir19 Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
    According to the article, AEG decided to take over..

22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm less worried about the ages of the 3 men. You'd expect the two in their early 60's to live 15 years or more. Even Hunt you'd expect to live a while. If the league isn't in better shape financially in 2010, it won't matter anyway.

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goulish, I know, and perhaps unrealistic....

Deathclock.com tells me Lamar Hunt's Personal Day of Death is:

Sunday, May 14, 2006

I don't have birthdates for the other two.

24. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you can pretty much count on Hunt's wife, Norma, to carry on his wishes when Lamar eventually passes away.

Mrs. Hunt seems to be quite the sports fan herself. She and Lamar attend every Chiefs game, home and away, even though they live in Dallas.

Lamar and Norma are at left in the photo below:

[​IMG]