Shaquell "Shaq" Moore at Tenerife

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like Flores, Moore is on the league's allocation list, so both of them would potentially go through the allocation process, not the draft.

Certainly, someone might take a flyer on him if he's cheap enough. I am a bit skeptical of him though; from what I've seen of him in the U-20s, his technical skills are very poor.

2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Levante's reserve team, playing in the Segunda B. That's the same level he started last season, but a level below Real Oviedo (and a level above Oviedo's reserves, which is where he played when Huracan fell apart.

4. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atletico Levante UD is the reserve team of Levante UD, who are currently leading the Segunda Division. Atletico play in the Segunda B, which is the 3rd level.

5. hokeydokey

hokeydokey Member

Oct 21, 2015
    For what it's worth, they play in the same group of Segunda B as Villarreal B and play each other twice this season should Akale happen to be with them at the time.

TheFalseNine, Gacm32 and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  6. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    upload_2016-8-31_15-26-22.png

FWIW, they one of the better designed websites of the Liga ones I've seen.

Gacm32, ChuckMe92 and Giggsy1986 repped this.
  7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  8. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    upload_2016-9-11_13-18-34.png

Gets the start in his debut.

Gacm32, BostonRed, ChuckMe92 and 4 others repped this.
  9. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Gorky and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  10. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty awesome that he's actually registered as "Shaq".

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  12. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Went 90 in a 0 - 0 draw with AE Prat. Seems to be theme this weekend among latin country based YAs. For Shaq, though, I guess it's a good thing.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  13. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I, like most, was not impressed with Shaq's play in the 2015 WC. Nevertheless, he is now a regular starter in Spain's Segunda B. The only Yank, at this moment, that can say that.

14. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Yes, but how good is the league where he is playing from time to time?
    NASL level?

15. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    What has that got to do with the price of garbanzos in Badajoz? My point was is he is starting at a level higher than any other Yank in Spain. Just an observation, really. We can't all play in NASL.

16. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I'm not arguing you point. Just unfortunately that's not a high level, so your another point shared by many that he wasn't great at 2015 is also legit.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  17. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Hadn't thought of it that way. Good point. I guess I was trying to give ole Shaq a little boost.

18. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    And, just as an aside (since I think league comparisons are particularly irrelevant in the academy thread) Segunda B is roughly equivalent to PL2, and still considered a development league, for the most part, in Spain.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/58754

19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Snip:

Moore has signed a two-year deal with Levante. His plan is to break into the Levante first team (they currently plays in the second tier while the reserve side play in the third) and recapture the attention of the US national team. He jokes that he won’t say he’s taking it one day at a time. Two years at a time? That’s different. By 2018 he’ll be 21. A two-year deal with a professional team in Spain is kind of like college – but very different.

“Everyone here in Spain is fighting to make it to the top,” he says. “Here it’s soccer or nothing.”
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/28/americans-abroad-us-soccer-pros

20. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Went 90 in Levante B's first win of the temporada... 2 - 1 over CF Gavá.

Tom Collingsworth and PalmettoSpur repped this.
  21. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Played 90 in a mid-week fixture at Lleida Esp. in Segunda B.

Lleida Esportiu 1 - 1 Atlético Levante UD

22. PalmettoSpur

PalmettoSpur Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I'd just like to take a moment and state how frustrating it is trying to follow the development of defenders through a message board. With attacking players, you hear about their goals and assists, their sick move to juke out a defender, etc. With goalies, you hear about their amazing saves, and might even get the occasional highlight.

With defenders, they rarely score or assist, and you never hear about that sweet shoulder-to-shoulder to knock someone off the ball, or that great hustle play to kick the ball out for a throw instead of a corner.

Now that I've completed my rant, I really hope Shaq can develop his game against some talented Spanish competition.

23. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Played 90 as Atlético Levante holds off Barça B to tie 0 - 0.

snip:

El Atlético Levante tutea al Barça B, pero no remata la faena

Atlético Levante handles Barça B, but is unable to finish the job.

La calidad del Barça fue latente durante toda la primera parte. El juego de toque de los de Gerard López era impecable en tres cuartos de campo, pero ineficaz cuando se acercaba al área. Tan solo los centros de Perea desde la derecha causaron cierto temor, pero no hubo remate alguno de los barcelonistas. Koke no llegó a actuar más allá de un despeje por un balón largo. Pese a esta actuación defensiva, los granotas creaban mayor peligro en ataque con sus contragolpes que el rival con su posesión. Desde el inicio fue más valiente el Atlético Levante, buscando la rapidez de sus bandas y la incorporación de sus carrileros, en especial Shaq que puso un par de balones en el área.

Barça's quality was evident throughout the first half. The game of touch of Gerard López' men was impeccable in three quarters of the pitch but ineffective when they approached the area. Only Perea's crosses from the right created a bit of fear but there were no shots on goal by the Barcelonistas. Koke [Levante defender] didn't do much beyond the clearance of a long ball. Despite this defensive performance, the "granotas" created greater danger in attack with their counterattacks than their rival did with their possession. From the the beginning Atlético Levante was braver , looking to the speed of their wingers and incorporating their wingbacks, especially Shaq, who put a couple of balls in the area.

http://www.superdeporte.es/levante/2016/10/16/atletico-levante-tutea-barca-b/313453.html

24. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This must be a good experience for him.

Eighteen Alpha and Gacm32 repped this.
  25. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I obviously meant to write Koke [Levante Goalkeeper] didn't have much to do beyond the occasional clearance of a long ball.
    My translation skills have gotten rusty in old age.

Btw, I wonder what most think Shaq's ceiling is. I'm kind of at a loss to predict. He is currently an every game starter in Segunda B and is occasionally praised in match reports. I would think promotion to the first team (at least as a back up) is not out of the question, in which case he would be playing for a recently relegated segunda liga side that not too long ago was making the Europa League.

ChuckMe92 and autobus39 repped this.