Shaquell "Shaq" Moore at Tenerife

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Dec 16, 2014.

1. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    He's probably alright with that. He's living in Spain, making good money playing a sport he loves, and is probably banging some nice Spanish chicks....

Not bad for a sorry RB with little potential [emoji41]

2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    It sounds like there's disagreement about the seriousness of his limitations. Fair enough.

3. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    whether you can or cannot improve your technical abilities after the age of 18 - the carli lloyd an interesting aside here - it does seem like playing in a more technical country would lend itself to at least pushing yourself in that direction

Winoman repped this.
  4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Could be. We could ask Frankie Hedjuk to what degree playing in Germany helped him reach the level needed to get those 85 caps.

5. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Huracan Valencia advances in the Copa Del Rey with a 2-0 victory.

Winoman and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  6. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right, it's not magic. It is conscious effort and repetition. Brian McBride made great technical improvements to his game after he went to England at 29.

Gorky repped this.
  7. failure

failure Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Club:
    DC United

Sounds like an assist to me and, based on the other tweets, he went the full 90'.

8. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    McBride's reputation improved after he went to England, but you'd be hard-pressed to show that his performances in a national team jersey ever changed. Breaking his international career roughly into thirds:

1996-99: played 2128 mins, 9 goals, 3 assists
    2000-02: played 2169 mins, 11 goals, 4 assists
    2003-06: played 2446 mins, 10 goals, 3 assists

He also played 27 mins in a friendly in 1993, which I've omitted above.

9. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia

His goal scoring didn't improve but other aspects of his game improved greatly as he got older.

10. failure

failure Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Club:
    DC United
    That's typical of target forwards, and especially American versions of them. To somewhat bring this around to Moore, I've heard Cherundolo seemed to have a similar late bloom, so I can envision Moore turning this into a top league gig somewhere in the tier below the major leagues and get a decent career (maybe only Lichaj level, but still credible).

11. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no doubt it helped him. Whether it helped him improve his technical abilities is another question.

12. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, this is an opinion that can't be disproven. I will point out that forward is the one position where one would expect an increase in technical ability to show up in the key stats of goals and assists - and it didn't. My opinion, based on watching many McBride performances, was that his technical ability was always high (people often fail to recognize McBride's high level (for a US player) of technical ability because his lack of speed made it difficult for him to be effective off the dribble even with his technical skills because even if he beat a defender, they could usually catch him in a few steps) and didn't improve during his stints in England.

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Cool, I'll add your question to the list of questions we could ask Frankie Hedjuk in a hypothetical conversation.

14. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Given that this is a Moore thread, where's the love for Joe-Max?

Bruce S and mike4066 repped this.
  15. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #65 uniteo, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    Okay, I'm certainly not interested in spending the time to look up a myriad of statistics which may or may not support what I saw. But as a social scientist, this analysis is not an analysis from a methodological standpoint. Now if you want take into account things like; what was the scoring rate of his teams overall (club and country) during those time periods and for a suitable comparison period, scoring rate of midfielders and other forwards when he was on the field, goals against records, W-D-L records, and I would argue it is worthwhile to check for anecdotal evidence from coaches, teammates and McBride himself.

I'll look into that if somebody wants to pay me, but for Bigsoccer I'll just say that I saw great improvement in his hold up play, interchange, passing touch and two-footed play and ask, do you agree. This doesn't necessarily contradict Martin Fischer's point that he was already better than his national team teammates...you can be better than your peers and still get better. If your impression differs from mine, I'd be interested in hearing without the need for data.

Back to the larger point, I'll defer to the Secret Footballer on whether players improve technically as their professional careers start;

Is a player’s technical ability fixed by the age 20 or does training improve it?

Training absolutely improves players. There is no question about that.

You can learn to do things through repetition that improves you as a player in as little as six weeks.

If you took 50 penalties after training every day for six weeks and aimed for the top right-hand corner of the goal, then you would see a marked difference in your execution from the first week to the last, regardless of age.

And that’s the same for anything – midfielders like to practise their “pings and zings”, generally a diagonal pass out to a winger that gets there much faster than a side-footed pass. Eventually, they nail 99 out of 100 passes.

When a player comes to a club at the age of 20 or they come up through the youth team, then that is probably more like 60 out of 100.

That’s a good example because it also brings into play other attributes that are key to improving.

For example, when youth-team players come into first-team training sessions for the first time they are desperate not to look shit.

So the good ones step up, they concentrate harder, they hit the ball harder. It is all done so that they hold their own with the professionals with whom they are doing the same drill.

In fact, the very best ones want to be better than the pros so the pros step up their game, too.

Everybody gets better. You will often hear the saying: “You can’t fail to improve when you play with better players.”

Nine-tenths of that is not what you learn. It is what you step up to the plate with and the strengths that you find that you never had to utilise before.

http://www.thesecretfootballer.com/...956/my-best-tsf-book-yet-i-think-it-might-be/

Winoman repped this.
  16. failure

failure Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Club:
    DC United
    Subbed out in the 46' down 0-1:

Tom Collingsworth, Hararea and Testudo repped this.
  17. failure

failure Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Club:
    DC United
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Maybe he's injured

19. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ussoccer97531 repped this.
  20. failure

failure Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Club:
    DC United
    True, poor assumption, but follow my posts on Horvath and I clearly do not assume the worst.

21. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    One of my all time faves.

22. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Huracan lost 1-0 to Barakaldo today in the third round of the Copa del Rey. They would have been guaranteed a match against a big team in the next round had they won. Doesn't look like Shaq dressed. He was an unused sub in their match on October 4th but he hasn't gotten into a game since the last set of posts.

Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  23. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shaq went 90 in a 1-0 win over Levante II on Nov 7th and was an unused sub in a 1-1 draw vs Villarreal II on Nov 21st.
    http://us.soccerway.com/matches/201...de-futbol/levante-union-deportiva-ii/2095270/

http://us.soccerway.com/matches/201...ncia-club-de-futbol/villarreal-cf-ii/2095289/

Tom Collingsworth and JG repped this.
  24. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really happy for Moore. Segunda B may be third division but the kid just turned 19, that's a pretty decent pro level right there. For years we've seen people here talk about how they'd like to see young Americans go to Spain to develop, Moore is doing that.

Six months later I still can't believe some of the outright vitriol directed at Moore, and overall poor assesstment of his play on this board during the U2O Wolrd Cup this past summer.

There were people seriously claiming to offer an objective anlaysis of his play over the course of the tournament saying that he lacked the requesite technical ability and soccer brain to play professionally at any level and that he belonged in college soccer.

25. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I think this is one of those retrospective moments of BS. He was absolutely bad in the U20 World Cup, there is no question. But currently he is doing decent at club level, so poster act as if he was never bad. Delgado (and I guess Acosta to an extent) is another example of this. He played a few great games for Toronto and we now don't talk much about his bad World Cup, when in reality he was pretty bad. This isn't me saying that we can't forgive players, but we can't act like poor performances didn't happen.

ussoccer97531 repped this.