Shannon MacMillan - ACL

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Motterman, May 19, 2003.

1. Awe-Inspiring

Awe-Inspiring New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    Bummer.

Mac is one of my favorite players.

Great hustle, and a blast of a long shot.

And, no griping when used off the bench in WWC '99.

The consummate team player.

I hope she recovers, but I don't expect her at WWC '03. But '07 is possible; she'll only be 33 (that seems quite young by the standards our vets set).

In the meantime, the MacMillan replacement is obvious.

WAMBACH!!

2. Hamm-star

Hamm-star New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    re:

If she had injured it middle or late into the match, I would say fatigue may have been a factor. But; the injury occured in the 8th min. and by the description it had little to do with muscle fatigue then it did cleats sticking in the turf.

3. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From ESPN.com

4. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's actually some debate between surgeons as to which procedure is better, my doctor actually talked me out of doing this (he used a donor ACL) because it ends up tightening the patellar tendon. This was the procedure Jerry Rice had done (sorry to bring it up again), and then tried to come back after only three months. On his first game back IIRC, he fractured his patella. My doctor was convinced it was this procedure, and his rush to come back that made his knee vulnerable.

5. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anybody heard before of the "PEP" program?

Here is an article intitled "On a Tear" that covers the entire back page of today's sports section. The paper version has two pics of Mac and a color drawing of a leg that shows the relation of the ligaments, muscles and bone around the knee.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/..._mz1s26acl.html

6. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $200 LOL!

That's more than they paid the crappy ref, I'm sure.

7. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you. MacMillen is my second fav player behind Abby Wambach, and I really hope Shannon can make it back for the WWC.

I have two questions:

1. When does Heinrichs have to name the squad for the WWC, and how likely is she to use a spot on someone if there is no guarantee that they will be available.

2. If she does make it back to full fitness, does this necessarily relegate Wambach to a long-shot?

8. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet

she will keep that spot open until the last date of the players list is required to be inserted by fifa, if that injured player doesn't make it and she will take someone else to replace her...

9. Labdarugo

Labdarugo Member

Dec 3, 2000
    Downwind
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    quote:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    ATLANTA (AP) -- Shannon MacMillan of the San Diego Spirit was fined $200 Thursday by the Women's United Soccer Association for publicly criticizing officiating.

MacMillan's comments, which came during last Sunday's match against San Jose, were caught by a remote microphone and broadcast on television.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

$200 LOL!

That's more than they paid the crappy ref, I'm sure.

What did she say exactly???

10. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to the Mac

Looks like rehab is progressing nicely enough for Mac to get the call up. Great stuff.