Shame on Toronto Newspapers!!

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by PAUL SILVA, Oct 15, 2004.

1. PAUL SILVA

PAUL SILVA New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    :confused:
    Not one word was mentioned in the Post or the Toronto Sun about Portugal's destruction of Russia in the soccer section. They mentioned Italy, Netherlands, England and France scores and offered some recaps about these teams rebounding after embarrassing losses. BUT NOTHING ABOUT PORTUGAL. It was 7-1!!! and there are hundreds of thousands of Portuguese in the Greater Toronto Area!
    What makes it even worse is the fact that we did however got some press when we were shocked by Liechtenstein 2-2. Go Figure. I have already emailed the Toronto Sun Sports Editor complaining about this and the fact that soccer as a whole doesn't get enough attention, 1/8 of a page at the most. That's crap! It's time to start a petition.

2. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    we got a lot guys from Toronto, somebody should open a letter or petion, everybody will sign it I guarantee

3. m a n n y

m a n n y New Member

Oct 11, 2004
    good for you paul. i would have done the same.

4. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I know here in London the free press had a little article on the Portugal game, surprise the star didn't mention anyhing about Portugal! :rolleyes:

5. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I can't say that I am rather surprised. Soccer in the media takes a backseat to sports like chess, rodeo and snail racing here in North America. I guess the 7-1 result may not have gotten much press because people feel Portugal is the Brazil of Europe and should be winning by that type of margin. Tie one against Liechtenstein, whoa, that's a different story. Let's devote a half page to it and print it on the 4th page of the Sports section. The way it is presented in the media depends on the importance of the match. It's sad, but what can you do?

6. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I don't know if u watch Sportsworld on the score but today they coudn't stop praising Portugal and CR. This coming from 2 englishmen, they even sayed when Portugal is on their game their just amazing to watch :D

7. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That show, on the Score, I believe, is dedicated to world sports, mainly soccer, so I would expect them to heap some praise on any team that won by that scoreline. It would be nice if that type of coverage was also in papers like the Globe, Star or the Post, but it won't happen because people really get interested in soccer every 2 years - for a WC or a Euro. Other than that, only hard-core fans like us dedicate time to the sport in a country where hockey is king - even if it isn't being played at the moment :(

8. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It's going to take some time but were making small strides, when i think back 10 years ago nobody gave a crap about soccer except for the hardcore fans, but now i've noticed a little change, canucks are starting to take to soccer even if it's every 2 years. I personally work with a hole bunch of canucks and i'll tell u during the euro 2004 that's all we would talk about at work, and most of them couldn't wait to get home to see the games. I think they're slowly being converted to the religion of soccer without even knowing it :D

9. PAUL SILVA

PAUL SILVA New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Soccer is the most popular sport in the world, except in Canada. We must be the most anti- soccer nation there is in the world. Shameful but true. In the U.S.there is some serious interest in the sport and they have a great team. Here in Canada, we don't have a good team, nor are there any soccer development systems worth mentioning. Canadians in general couldn't care less about soccer. I've got my two young kids wanting to be Portuguese citizens in order to someday play for Portugal.....not that this will ever happen, but just trying to make a point.

10. PAUL SILVA

PAUL SILVA New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Rediculous...but not far from the truth :D

11. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The Toronto Star mentioned the Portugal victory. I didn't read the other papers. The soccer section is too small but they did mention Portugal's destruction of Russia.

12. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'm going to disagree with u regarding the comment about the U.S sure they have better NT's but i think soccer is more popular here than in the U.S.
    BTW i have a cousin down in Detroit and in order for him to watch any Euro cup games he had to pay 25$ american to watch because they didn't show any games on cable, and he even say that nobody talks or cares about soccer where he's living!

13. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    USA just got a profissional league, the keeps bring out good players

14. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think it would be terrific if the MLS expanded to Toronto and Montreal. But don't think it will happen anytime soon.

15. PAUL SILVA

PAUL SILVA New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Detroit doesn't count. :D
    U.S. Put more money into soccer and have scolarships programs.
    They have MLS, we got ????? it would go bankrupt in a few weeks
    The U.S. still have a long way to go, but they are ahead of Canada.

16. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    what do you expext? toronto is a hockeytown therefore they dont pay attention to wc qualifiers even though they focus on other teams. goes to show portugal is not even in there radar. its ashame. sportsnet is the only broadcast thats show soccer. gotta respect that.

17. Briosa a frente

Briosa a frente New Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    Ten Years Ago The only occer I got to watch was tsn's Soccer saturday One Hour show. and they spent 45 minutes talking about the EPL, english 1st division 2nd division, 3rd division scotish prenier and then they would rotate one week the Italian and German league The next the French and Holland league, The third The Spanish and Netherlands once in a blue moon they would report the scores of the Portuguese league. I got so pissed off I phoned TSN and wrote to them and told them they were a bunch of ignorant sob . it didn't change.
    Now I got sportsnet, Fox sports world. Tsn. Bell. I'm trying to get MY ten foot dish up and running and then watch out. the Wife will divorce me for sure

18. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    One of those english guys on the score has a Portuguese boss lol,,but I remember scince the world cup he has praised Portugal.

As for 'soccer' in Canada hell.. they show qualifiers at 1 in the morning while they play ALCS and NLCS baseball while FOX is showing it at the Excat same time no LOGIC what so ever. Hell even after Canada won the Gold cup and was favoured to make it to the world cup THEY STILL DID NOT SHOW QUALIFIERS!!!! CBC wake up you show pointless sports with Canadian teams. No wonder Hargraves left, I would do the exact same (Had I the talent) no one hear cares. Boo Hoo we didn't make it again we got screwed by a referee and then a linesman (Both on the take or they must be the dumbest incompedant men ever) and wheres the boycott? no it's O.K will try not to get screwed next time. At least Costa Rica showed that Canada didn't belong by just beating the crap outta them.

19. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    FIFA rules preclude any 1st division from expanding into other countries.

20. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You're right I have actually heard that before but for some reason the topic of MLS expansion to Canada has been talked about as if there wouldn't be a problem or breaking any rules. But you are correct.

21. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    Here's how sports rank in America:

1. NFL (football)
    2. College Basketball/Football
    3. NBA (basketball)
    4. MLB (baseball)
    5. NASCAR (auto racing)
    6. PGA (golf)
    7. Soccer
    8. Hockey

I'm sure you guys up in Canada are getting 24 hour coverage of the labor talks and all the latest news regarding the lockout.

You know how much coverage we're getting here? Um, I think the other day Sportscenter mentioned something about Wednesday would've been opening day of the NHL? Not sure though. It's kind of sad really.

Isn't tonight HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA?

22. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's pretty bad. A media organization in that size of a market should have the local population's identity and interests flowing through its veins.

23. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    World series of Poker is ranked higher then soccer and hockey put together! :mad:

24. PAUL SILVA

PAUL SILVA New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Exactly my point.