Shall we kill the rep system?

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Huss, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Please discuss. You should see our helpdesk - what is a blue dot and this person is mean to me is just filling it up!

2. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kill the posters who complain instead.

3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. It's feature to have a laugh with. Sometimes it is worthwhile, sometimes not. People who bitch about it should have it removed.

4. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yes, for the reason you stated.

5. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those people will only find something else to whine about.

6. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'm neg-repping the next person who posts something negative about rep.

7. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better idea:

Make Gringo Tex the "Moderator Without Portfolio" and direct all rep complaints to his mailbox.

Let's see how being his bitch and taking a 1600 point rep hit suits them.

8. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    :D

9. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    No rep, no posts-count-anywhere, and certainly no coitus.
    How will Bigsoccererers then validate their existance?

10. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    See how easily Bill and I quash dissent. You people don't deserve democracy.

11. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I was originally opposed to the rep system, then I became ambivalent. I'm still basically ambivalent. But for the sake of discussion ...

The Blue Dot Issue - Yes, the blue dot is lame. But why can't you just get rid of it with a software tweak?

Rep Cliques - It seems like all previous discussions about "rep abuse" have focused on abolishing positive rep cliques. That was totally wrong-headed. People give out rep to posters they believe improve their experience at BigSoccer. If your experience at BigSoccer is made better via participation in a rep clique, then fine. You shouldn't be harassed for doing that. (And, Huss, you have harassed people in the past for establishing such cliques.)

This Person is Mean to Me Issue - This, not rep cliques, is what you should actually consider rep abuse. It's abusive not because somebody is giving you negative rep, but because somebody (or some group of people) is using the reputation system to harass you. This sort of harassment can probably be dealt with by the moderators. If software-wise it's possible, for someone who does abuse the rep system in this manner I'd suggest drastically lowering their reputation, and disabling their ability to give reputation.

Those are reasons to reform both the application of the rep system and some attitudes about it. What are some reasons to get rid of it?

Server Concerns - It is another thing to load. If it came down to it I suspect most peope would choose improved server performance over keeping the reputation system.

Is BigSoccer better for it? - Has it really improved life on BigSoccer.com? My own sense? It really hasn't made much of an impact one way or another. It does not tell you who's a good poster, and who isn't. If it disappeared people would grumble for a week and then forget about it. If it hasn't clearly improved this place, then maybe it should go.

Has it undermined discussion? - I actually think it has undermined discussion a little bit. People are less inclined to make a small public comment, favoring instead to comment privately via the reputation system. So it has removed some bit of discussion from the board.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to so and so again." - I really hate reading this over, and over, and over, and over again on the boards. It's become quite tedious.

12. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There should be a 12-word limit on replies to this poll.

13. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto

14. dsk_oz

dsk_oz Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    This is a breaker for me.

Previously I didn't really care about rep at all and I'd only build rep (not with the concious aim of getting rep) by putting up thoughtful posts.

Even though I didn't post for rep I was pretty proud that all my reps were pos reps, especially because they were from all different people for posts that I'd taken time to write.

That changed when I (and some other posters) started getting neg reps for disagreeing with certain posters.

What makes it worse is that those person(s) are now doing it for harrassment value for posts that nobody in their right mind could regard as trolling/flaming.

It's as if they've decided "right, I don't like this person so I'm going to neg rep him as much as I can".

The net effect is that they effectively become thought police, neg repping people who happen to post disagreeing views to theirs, while posting their own rubbish at will.

It's sad, but it's the internet and there are plenty of people unable to have reasoned arguments without taking things personally.

IIRC other people have complained to the mods and they've been told that mods don't regulate the rep system. Again that what I heard, may be wrong may be right, would like to be wrong in fact because I have a few complaints to make in that case :D

With that impression in mind, I've got to say that the current system is almost "Wild West" style (ie. you'd better be able to protect yourself and have a posse able to back you up) and the only way to protect yourself is to have a high rep and be able to neg rep back with similar effect. A rep MAD system if you will ..

This in fact encourages rep-whoring. Even people who otherwise wouldn't give two stuffs about rep have to do it, otherwise they end up with -ve rep if they end up on the wrong side of someone who's been whoring. This is the sole reason why I've recently begun to rep-whore.

To me it was better when I had ~30 rep from thoughtful posts rather than the 135 I've got from rep whoring (despite harrassment neg reps).

A potential solution would be the ability to report abusive rep, similar to the reporting of bad posts.

I understand that mods are busy and may not have enough time to deal with each case in a timely fashion. If I understand correctly even the reported posts now seem to be overload.

How about encouraging mutual conciliation then?

To take a leaf out of the legal system, have a proper process in place but encourage people to sort it out between themselves (ie. settle out of court).

A way to automate this would be to automatically send PMs containing the relevant post to both parties and a moderator queue when a post/rep is reported. The option of the reporter to drop the matter after citing a reason would streamline the process.

The two parties would ideally discuss and come to a settlement (amicable or othewise) and the reporter would drop the report with a reason given.

If that fails to work, a mod would eventually pick up the report from the queue and start investigating and decide a suitable punishment if necessary. For example, docking massive amounts of rep would be a suitable punishment for frivolous neg repping.

At first there would be a flood of reports, but after a while the number of incidents should die down and we wouldn't have as many complaints about the rep system.

In summary, there's no need to drop the rep system as long as it's used to reward thoughful posts. It's when neg reps are used frivolously that the system breaks down ..

Apologies for breaking the "12-word limit" .. I think I may have just exceeded it :p

15. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen!

16. dsk_oz

dsk_oz Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    Another solution just came to mind

How about killing the ability to neg rep?

Stops people power-tripping on the ability to act as thought police, reducing the number of people who'd engage in rep-whoring, while stopping all complaints about the rep system ..

All reps should be reset to zero to have a clean start in that case ..

17. dsk_oz

dsk_oz Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    Sorry! :D

18. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i like neg repping ignorant people

19. dsk_oz

dsk_oz Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    But don't you think that if you neg rep it should be for that particular post rather than just because you dislike someone in general?

Ignorant people who continue to post crap should be continuously neg repped, but that judgement should be done on the basis of that particular post alone ..

What if someone came and neg repped you without reason? Say you had low rep, you couldn't even do anything back to them, which encourages rep-whoring ..

Personally I'd prefer to keep the ability to neg rep, so long as there were proper checks and balances.

20. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    they get it when posting incredibly stupid comments... i'll wait for it

21. dsk_oz

dsk_oz Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    Sounds as if you enjoy stalking their SS :D

22. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I completely support every bit of this idea.

23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is bigsoccer. Do you give out any positive rep? ;)

24. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

stalking log: keep eye on nutter

25. ne plus ultra

ne plus ultra Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Helpdesk!! Of course!! Now I know where to go to ask what the blue dot was. I had to search for the terms "reputation" and "blue" to find this thread, which I thought was of no help at all. But now, it's helped me find helpdesk. I guess I'll go ask. Thanks.

By the way, most images on the internet, even here on BS, have a hover-over setting. Maybe if you set the hover-over setting for the blue card to tell people what it was, you wouldn't have to get annoyed about people asking this. It's not exactly self-explanatory.