Shakhtar Donetsk vs Dynamo Kyiv [R]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by RedStar91, Apr 17, 2012.

1. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
  2. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Was he faking the injury trying to draw a card? This happened in WWC semis with Brazil player faking an injury to waste time. This video doesn't provide enough to comment on it.

3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand. Was the first yellow shown (the second caution/red) for leaving the field "without permission?" Or did he believe that he had simulated a previous injury? Something else? I'm baffled.

4. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    The first yellow was probably just a standard yellow card. It happened I think well before this incident. For a bad tackle or for a tactical foul. It had nothing to do with the incident.

The way I interpreted the video is the ref gave him the second caution for delaying restart. I think the player was already off the field and he wanted to go to another part of the touch line. Ref interpreted it as delaying restart.

5. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, but when I asked "first yellow" I meant on the video... which is the one you answer here:

But this doesn't seem to make sense either because he wasn't yet off-the-field. And his movement all the way over to the touch line didn't appear to delay the restart. I don't understand why he was gesticulating over to the touch line, as if he needed to go there for some reason, but it doesn't make sense.

I think, given the body language of everyone on orange and of the referee himself (who appeared to be almost laughing at what he had to know what a controversial call), the card was for faking/exaggerating an injury, as the player did suddenly spring up after being in agony. Would really need to see the previous 15-30 seconds, though.

6. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thinking about this more... restart was an IFK to orange near midfield, right? Perhaps the player in question went down, far behind play, to get a whistle? And then the referee realized he was faking, booked him and went with an IFK instead of a drop ball? Best hypothesis I can put together based on the limited intelligence we have.

7. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    That is my assumption as well.

8. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    He's obviously faking the injury and he should be carded for it. I'm not sure that's why the ref carded him because everyone brought up this going off the field business and I can't understand Russian.

Again what I don't like is players surrounding the referee and jumping in front of him to prevent him from getting to where he needs to go to do his job. Card them, or simply push them out of the way.

9. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    My bad, it seemed that he was telling him to go off right next to the goal as he was already practically there and the player wanted to go somewhere else. I think it's just a combination of embellishment/delaying restart. Yeah he wasn't really delaying restart, but the ref appeared to be telling him "get off next to the goal line."

After a trainer comes off for an injury you have to step off. I don't know if that player was smart enough to know this, but if you step off, for an injury, off the goal lines you can only come back on during a stoppage in play, with the refs permission. If you are off on the touch lines you can come back on with the refs permission during play.

So I can see why he might the player might have been pointing/saying "I'm going over here."

10. oldreferee

oldreferee Member

May 16, 2011
    Tampa
    What?

11. ColoradoRef

ColoradoRef Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8LMC0U8TZA&"]????? ?????? ? - ?????? ? - YouTube[/ame]
    #19 collides with own player.
    He immediately holds his head.
    Looks like shoulder to face.
    He holds his head while on the ground.
    While getting up, he grabs his mouth.

IF he was cautioned for faking, I think it was a bad call.

Nothing about getting hit in the mouth would prevent you from running off the field.

13. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Not where he leaves from, but where he returns from, but the GL vs. TL distinciton is correct per the ATR:

14. oldreferee

oldreferee Member

May 16, 2011
    Tampa
    Yes. Thank you.

15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sport Billy's video certainly gives more information and changes my guess.

It looks like the referee had ordered him to go off over the goal line. And had allowed a restart with the presumption that he would. It also looks--though this is just circumstantial--that #8 is preparing to sub in for him. Maybe he said he needed a sub? In fact, #8 is the player who gets cautioned at the end of the clip. Might he have illegally entered at some point?

All still very, very confusing.

16. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    But he was crouched and acting as if he was in agony right before jumping up and bounding off. That seems like faking an injury to me.

17. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

I believe #8 is cautioned for grabbing the coach/trainer/assistant.

18. Eastshire

Eastshire Member+

Apr 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think you've got it here. The referee clearly points across the goal line. He's almost certainly ordered the player to leave the field at this point. The player then runs to the touchline which is much further than the goal line. Delaying the restart seems like the smart money here.

19. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I might be close to getting "it," but we still don't quite have it.

Because the restart (goal kick) occurred, right? And he allowed it to occur because he then restarted play a second time with an IFK after stopping for the misconduct.

So how does one delay a restart when the referee allows the restart?

Taking it at the macro-level of justice, it does seem like the player is A) faking and B) getting cute about where he leaves the field. I don't have too much sympathy for him in the sense that he seemed to earn a yellow. That said, at the micro-level I am struggling to figure out a way that explains this without concluding the referee technically screwed something up. Either he had to ensure the player was off the field before the restart occurred OR he should have gone back to the goal kick, right?

20. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    But my point is you can be in agony for a mouth injury and still jump up and bound off as the mouth is not involved in either jumping or bounding.

21. Eastshire

Eastshire Member+

Apr 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's a fair point. If it was DR, the restart should have been a goal kick. Since the restart we see is an IFK, we must assume the referee had already allowed the goal kick to occur. Perhaps he thought (incorrectly) that the player had gone across the goal line. Then he would have the player returning without permission. Which might explain the apparent levity as the player was trying to explain that he wasn't returning just running over there.

22. oldreferee

oldreferee Member

May 16, 2011
    Tampa
    The ref's smile has me worried. If he feels he was being played, it doesn't appear his reaction to it won him the moral high ground. (I'm thinking of how well the CR in the WWC handled being played by a player who was trying to burn time.) To compound it with an incorrect restart opens Pandora's box. :(

Perhaps the ref thought the player was bringing the game into disrepute by demonstrating that injured soccer players are still capable of hustle. :p

There is just the outside chance here that the player's reactions are all legit, and this whole thing is on the CR. I hope knowing more about the context in which this happened gives the CR's action some support.

23. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you've got it, now. At least what might be the technical reason.

That said, I think the body language from the referee still indicates that the apparent faking is what ticked him off. Or maybe it's something that happened earlier in the match that put this player on a shorter rope than normal. It's just weird to see a referee be so confident and almost jovial or what he had to understand would be a controversial red card.

EDIT: this is like a puzzle, but oldreferee's post makes me think further... the smile/body language might be because he felt the player was "gaming" him with a "no, I'm just going off over there" move. It might not have anything to do with possible simulation at all.

24. oldreferee

oldreferee Member

May 16, 2011
    Tampa
    Yes, that might explain it. Good idea.