Shakhtar Donetsk v Barcelona [R] (Champions League) Pre/Post Match

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Catfish, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Barca should steamroll this match.......4-0! Bring 'em on.

2. krazbo

krazbo New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ljubljana, SI
    Take it easy man. We are playing in cold Ukraine. Our players can froze there. I think a draw would be a good resoult.
    Anyway, I hope that Rijkaard will gave some young players a chance to prove (Messi, Navarro...)
    Giuly and Damia are out for this game. Damia isnt registered for CL while Giuly is still injured.
    This game means nothing to us, we are already in 1/8 final. I just hope that we dont get a new shock with some injuries.

3. Brejrin

Brejrin New Member

Jun 23, 2004
    T&T
    hope to see messi come on and put in a few

4. Caribbean boy

Caribbean boy New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    barbados westindies
    we should rest as much players as possible. how many B team members are registered for the champions league.

5. krazbo

krazbo New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ljubljana, SI
    as far as I know not many, it looks we will have to play with out first team

here is a list of players:
    http://www.fcbarcelona.com/eng/noticias/noticias/n04120512.shtml

6. Lucho-the-Legend

Nov 9, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I agree. Take the least amount of first teamers possible, let everyone get a break and just see what happens.

7. Caribbean boy

Caribbean boy New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    barbados westindies
    to come second in the group might not be so bad after all a few ____ 'BIG'____
    teams may be knocked out soon real, arsenal so we might get a good draw in the second round. we fear no one however. i hope diho, and eto have a warm seat on the bench.

8. KingHenryXIV

KingHenryXIV New Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Univ. of Arkansas
    i think its worth mentioning the trouble in Ukraine right now. while most of the drama is in kiev, donetsk is the second biggest city in ukrain is a power center for the current president. i hope there isn't a protest or anything like that.

9. krazbo

krazbo New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ljubljana, SI
    Rijkaard reviews Champions League situation

Frank Rijkaard has told fcbarcelona.com about his views of the forthcoming game against Shakthar, reviewed the first stage of the competition and explained that he is more than happy with the way things have gone so far.

What conclusions can you make from the first stage?

"I have a very positive view of the stage we have just come through. Perhaps the greatest achievement was winning at Celtic and Milan's stadiums, but in general I'm pretty pleased."

How do you think the political and social situation in the Ukraine will affect the mentality of the players?

"The situation can only affect us if it is not calm, if UEFA cannot guarantee the right conditions to play. But the news coming through from the Ukraine and what we have been told by UEFA suggest that all is fine and we do not need to feel uneasy about going there."

Are you concerned about the way Shakthar are playing, top of the league and with Aghaghowa back in?

"I always have every respect for all the teams we play and in this case, Shakthar is playing in the Champions League, which means they are decent side. I think the most important thing is for us to concentrate on what we have to do. We have to make sure our team works well because we're up against a good side that can make life complicated for us."

The weather and the state of the pitch may not be all that good. Can this disturb the team?

"Playing in different conditions to those we are used to is an experience that players will never forget. I think you just have to enjoy yourself out on the pitch and not worry about the temperature."

What chance do you think you have of finishing top of the group?

"Right now it's not entirely in our hands. What concerns me is the fact that we have an important game in the Ukraine, and they are hosting one of the most important teams in Europe, in front of their own fans so I'm sure the Shakthar players are going to be highly motivated."

With the team playing as well as it is, do you not feel that it is such an issue to finish second in the group?

"There are always advantages to finishing top, but I'm not too worried about which team we play next. All Champions League games are highly intense affairs and there are no big differences between the best teams in Europe. Even if we were first, it would still be difficult to play one of the runners up."

Who do you want to avoid in the next round?

"I could speak about the performances and qualities of the teams there are in Europe, but whatever team we play will be decided by a random draw, and I think that our chances depend on us concentrating only on ourselves."

10. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i know uefa is very reliable, but this formation doesnt look right:

valdes
    belletti...puyol...fernando...sylvinho (this looks about right)
    .................xavi
    ...........verdu.........gio idk who verdu is, but i say switch xavi and gio
    peral............messi........iniesta

idk who peral is, but i would have guessed messi on the left and iniesta the right.

subs:
    ruben
    marquez
    eto'o
    deco
    ronnie
    oleguer
    rodri

11. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just looked up the sides for cel - mil, barca may have a chance to take 1st

celtic has their strongest possible squad i believe, while milan are without kaka, seedorf, pirlo, gattuso, stam, and cafu.

im guessing milan play for the 0-0.

i hope celtic can put themselves ahead, as we all know celtic has a very good home record.

12. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    shakhtar up 1-0 i nthe 14'

13. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    2-0!!! :eek: WTF?!!!

14. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aghahowa again
    2-0
    22' Aghahowa (Shakhtar) scores! The Nigerian doubles the lead after Matuzalem frees Brandão down the left. The striker's cross is touched on by Lewandowski for Aghahowa to poke home from one metre out. Shakhtar deserve the lead but it could have been more if Brandão had been more effective.

15. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    disappointing, but it definitely isnt something to worry about or such a big deal.
    save for chelsea and i guess juve, none of the top teams i think can challenge barca.

16. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Half time. Messi looks very lively with intelligent moves and passes. Defence is not doing well at all. Puyol has had to foul the other team more than once because no one defended. I can see Riikjard making at least one change.

17. FORMAL

FORMAL Member

Jul 24, 2004
    NYC
    i have money on barca this game! why couldn't rijkaard have just said they were going to play the b team!!!

18. sweet nick willy

sweet nick willy New Member

Sep 6, 2001
    Barcelona
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    V el B, are you actually watching this game? And if so, how?

19. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I wish man. Just following the match commentary and trying to get something on radio marca. :D

20. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Barca has made all 3 subs:

Oleguer X Puyol
    Rodri X Peral
    Marquez X Belletti (Juliano had to come off due to injury. not again!!! :mad: )

21. sweet nick willy

sweet nick willy New Member

Sep 6, 2001
    Barcelona
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FT 2-0 for Shaktar.

At least we got to throw some of the youngsters into the fire, so to speak.

God I hope Belletti is ok. :(

22. elchico

elchico Member

Dec 13, 2003
    Lebanon
    Imagine that I got 7 out of 8 Champions League matches tonight, but the only match I didn't get was Barca's!!!
    Anyways, there's this one channel which is jumping all around from game to game (all games) showing chances and goals as they come. Other than the missed penalty by Iniesta, I don't think there was anything to talk about. This was experimental to the nth degree. Peral is Javito, the winger who played against World XI. So Javito, Messi, Verdu, Rodri, Navarro, Sylvinho...You're not gonna win in Ukraine with this lineup. Remember, Milan barely won 1-0 with their full lineup. I'm super glad though that the big boys got to rest. With the Milan tie at Parkhead it wouldn't have matter whether we won or not. The youngsters got some Champions League experience and holders got a rest. Conclusion: Barca wins anyways :)

23. FORMAL

FORMAL Member

Jul 24, 2004
    NYC
    it was probably pretty smart to go ahead and rest the team and get a look at some potential backups in a low risk situation,. Though, i really wish he had just made his plans public, now i have to put twice as much down on Real tomorrow to break even. If anyone sees any other guaranteed wins tomorrow let me know.

24. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

you should have researched. it was pretty well known that the whole 1st team wasnt gonna be there.

25. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

real is a guaranteed win? :confused:

i'd say lyon over sparta is your best shot.