SGR available. good fit for D.C.??

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Big BBW, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Wow.

I'm sorry, but your negative stereotyping of an entire continent is extremely ridiculous.

Please tell me you were using some kind of sick hyperbole and don't actually think this way.

2. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Umm, yeah.....

3. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let him go to Chivas USA where he can be "King of Goats". That is his calling in life.

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worth looking at, if the club isn't retaining Filomeno. (Haven't followed the offseason news that closely; is he gone?)

1. Jaime is getting old.
    2. Esky's health is, to put it mildly, a question.
    3. Quaranta may end up on fulltime duty at right wing, and he may end up missing a large chunk of the season for the World Cup.
    4. Jamil Walker is a nice #4, maybe even a nice #3, striker. He's not a nice #2 striker.

We're not exactly knee-deep in options. He finishes. With our midfield, he might flourish.

5. DCSharksFC

DCSharksFC Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Virginia Tech

i'm not sure i'd call it a stereotype on south america, i just see it more there than newhere else, italian soccer has the same problem, same with portugese players, and some french teams i've noticed play--i should say act---that way, if you took it as an insult, i apologize, but i see it more south of the border than newhere else

if that didn't clear things up, just pm me, and i'll try and explain it

6. DCSharksFC

DCSharksFC Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Virginia Tech

i see where i went wrong on the post, if i didn't type in south american, it wouldn't sound so deragotory, how do i fix it so it just says "traditional target forward"?

7. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in a word:

No way

8. ONE

ONE Member

Aug 11, 2000
    NOLA
    this thread is rediculous

9. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    diculous, a second time?

10. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    All of you nay-sayers or those saying let's give SGR a try-out in training camp are INSANE! We have got to have him on DCU if we ever expect to win another MLS cup. I've been very carefully watching him and he's an out-out talent that we would be hard pressed finding even on the best teams in Europe (let alone South America). I wouldn't be surprised if Barca snaps him up to team with Eto'o and Ronaldinho - rather than Henry.

You guys just watch DCU and ignore the other teams. This guy plays very subtlely. His runs are top notch and his finishing is superior to almost everyone else in the league. The other thing that people don't seem to notice is the energy and tactical superiority to almost every other player in the league. While always a superlative forward, he subverts his own ambition for the greater good of the team. He could easily fit into our needed wing mid-fielder, because he's vastly superior to every other outside midfielder in MLS and could challenge Robben for time in Chelsea - if they could afford him.

We don't always get to see the impact of players in the locker room. SGR could be the keystone in DCU locker room - communicating in spanish with the Bolivians and Argentians, playing Madden 2006 with Freddy (for $3/hr from Mrs. Adu), giving pointers on goal scoring to Boz, and helping Peter coach the team. This is a critical component of any team, because it's not just getting the most talented players. It's working together.

The other thing that most fans don't realize is that SGR is a world-class GK. NY didn't take advantage of this skill because of the outstanding Tony "Jenny Craig Spokesperson" Meola being there - this is something that could help DCU in crunch games.

Lastly, Mrs. JSF - please pass the crack pipe. You're bogarting it!
    :D

11. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Youre response is beyond proach. This time.

12. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I'd consider him. When your options are Moreno, Quaranta (if he's not on the wing), Walker, and ?, you're not seeing a lot of depth. Filomeno will get another look in the pre-season, but he'll probably want a bigger salary. Eski will try to come back and play, but, IMO, his career is likely over.

The bigger question is would we want to use Eski's salary (assuming he can't play) to pay for a player like SGR, who plays similar to Moreno and Gomez. They'd be a helluva passing triumvarate, but I'm not sold on the scoring-by-committe propostion that they would represent.

13. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    Why are people assuming Esky won't be able to play well?

14. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. dcuinvermont

dcuinvermont Member

Sep 8, 2000
    Burlington VT
    Sergio Galvon Cra*, the King of Cra*, has no more reason to be in MLS. Exzcept maybe Real SL.

16. cherno

cherno New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Charlottesville, VA
    We could always use another rightback, couldn't we?

Cherno

17. chessplayer

chessplayer Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    I think we have nothing to lose by bringing him in with all the rookies and guest tryout players, but if he doesn't show something more than any of the current strikers (Tino, Moreno, Adu, Filomeno is still around or is he gone after they didn't pick up his option?) I think we have enough talent that hasn't broken through yet.
    If Tino and Adu can both keep improving as they did last year, we'll be in great shape for moving the ball and finishing.

18. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Because some of us think he won't play at all. It's one thing to come back from a concussion, but multiple concussions take their toll on players, especially when they are on a relatively consistent basis (once a season or so for Eski). Ross Paule had to retire after suffering one in 2004 (the second or third of his career I think) , and I think he is the rule rather than the exception.

19. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    I'd rather be locked in a port-o-san with a continuous loop of The Annoying Music Show being played.

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ???

I see SGR as a "lead the line" type player. He's not a playmaker.

21. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    Yeah, he could be the next Raul Diaz Arce

22. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Exactly.

Saying SGR plays a style that is like Moreno or Gomez is flat out wrong. I don't know how someone could watch him play and come to that conclusion.

23. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    He is not like Gomito, I agree. But he is more like Moreno than he is like Esky. He does not get the ball off his foot that quickly and he holds it too long while trying to place his shot. Plus, he is not strong in the air and he often looks to pass.

Aren't most of you SGR-leads-the-line types forgetting that he played MIDFIELD for much of last season?

I agree that he has a bit in common with RDA (except he does not score as many poachy-type goals). But he is nothing like the out-and-out striker that we need to complement Moreno by stretching the defense, providing direct play and adding a semblance of an aerial target for our wing players.

24. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    From the few games I watched him play in, I remember him as a forward who likes to dish off the ball, similar to what Moreno does up top. Both look to create the shot rather than take it. He's worth a look just to see what he can do, but I agree with others who have posted that he is not the ideal candidate for what DC needs. However, I would like him as an option off the bench far more than anyone we had last season.

25. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Is this to be taken seriously?? OK, say we take it seriously here's my take:

-Not much more over say $100K+ incentives
    -No way more than a 1-year contract (prove you belong)
    -I used to watch the guy (I like watch the Metros for some reason-yeah I know rivalry blaa-blaa-blaa). He came in as a starter but later the Metros benched him. He does play intelligently as a garbage man, and he can finish the garbage. He doesn't quite pick up the garbage and finish as well as RDA (well-who does), but he has some more skill than RDA. I do think he'd fit on this team because he'd play well off Moreno and Gomez, who play a more fluid game and need a guy to pick up the junk from their more stylish styles. In other words, they'd complement and not get in each others' way. I'm thinking he'd have to be the target forward in our system. He is fun to watch.