SGR available. good fit for D.C.??

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Big BBW, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Big BBW

Big BBW New Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    the metroscum forum is reporting that the Sergio Galvan Rey has been let go. despite his underperformance the last couple of years i think he would be a good fit with D.C.'s South American style and would form great trio playing with Moreno and Gomez. lower his salary and i'd take a gamble on him

plus he has a green card

what do you guys think?

2. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    I'd sooner go motorcycle riding with Gary Busey.

3. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I think he's worth a look in camp. Give him a shot and see what transpires...

4. Keenan

Keenan New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Stephens City,VA
    No freaking way! Galvan Rey is a bum and would not even begin to fit anywhere in DCU's starting XI or bench!

5. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    No.

6. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    Does he come cheap? Is he willing to accept a substitute's role? Will he be good in the clubhouse? If the answer to any one of these questions isn't "yes", then I say "F*** no".

BUT, if the answer to all three of those questions IS "yes"...then I still say "F*** no".

7. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    Absolutely not. We don't need another marginally athletic player. Let's focus on getting a real complementary striker who provides skills that the forwards we already have in the team don't show. Namely, pace, direct running, power and aerial ability. We need someone that can stretch the defense and open up space for Jaime/Gomito/Santino etc. Not just another pass-first non-striker to clog up the center of the field.

8. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    The "King" is dead. No.

9. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    We would still owe the Metros compensation in this lovely world of MLS so no.

10. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    The way I see it, SGR brings hustle and hair but little sense for goal and horrible aim (another Albright, anyone?) Further, he has probably little room for improvement, since he's had two years to adjust to this league and not shown much.

In other words, enjoy Denver, Sergio...

11. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    SGR was OK last season but I agree totally with this:

12. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I didn't think about giving the The MetroPukes compensation so for that reason I'd like to retract my earlier statement. But if not for that I'd still like to see what he could do in camp. On a free, I think it'd be worth a shot.

13. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Compensating the Metros means nothing to me. We can always give them exactly what we gave them for Jaime - a two-game bitchslap in the playoffs.

14. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    how many coolers can he carry, I think it's worth finding out. poor boz has to do it otherwise (well I guess not anymore)

15. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I'm gonna go with "no" for 200, Alex.

16. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I hate the off-season.

As for you, Big BBW, everyone is allowed an occasional drunken posts that they later regret.

But please don't make a habit of this. ;)

17. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Completely agree with this statement.

After the Moreno experiment I am for bringing in anyone on a low risk trial in preseason.

Hell, Galvan Rey was playing for the Metros and he outscored all of United's forwards except Jaime. And I didn't see Sergio taking many PKs either. He plays a true striker role which is one thing that United is severly lacking with Eskandarian out.

18. hala-cosmos

hala-cosmos Member

Apr 15, 2003
  19. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think its worth a shot to bring him into training camp. It can't hurt. He seems to be able to play the high-pressure-defend-from-the-top brand of soccer that is the hallmark of Nowak.

And with Gomez and Moreno feeding him passes I think he'd be successful in a United kit.

20. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Absolutely for a low risk look-see, we should give him a run.

21. mayorofarlington

mayorofarlington New Member

May 13, 2005
    Arlington/Montreal
    for the salary he has in mind, i doubt he could be an option for us.

22. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Without a doubt, sure. But I don't think any other MLS team will give him anything close to his $216K. However a low base with incentives contract could be done. It all depends on if he wants to stick with MLS.

23. united to the bone

united to the bone New Member

Nov 18, 2004
    Rosedale Maryland
    I had to take a quick peek at the calendar to make sure April Fools Day didn't sneak up on me. What are you on drugs! The Metroscum would love to get compensation for the goal-less king. If he couldn't score goals with Jerkoff and what's the name of that crybaby, oh yea, Guevara feeding him the ball, then he's hopeless. I liked the fact that he was always trying hard and never seemed to give up. But he did have a lousy shot. Next thing you know, someone will ask if we should take Razov! Everything will be fine once Alecko comes back. We'll just have to slap a helmut on the kid for now on. And don't forget Jamal didn't do that bad last year. He wasn't great but he's still young and should get better. Sergio is in his early 30's? He's past his prime.

24. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Ok, let's say DC is impressed with SGR in camp and they sign him.

If they were to owe any compensation at all to the Metros, it would be a CONDITIONAL draft pick.

In other words, if Galvan Rey was actually a productive member of the team, DC would owe NY a decent draft pick. If he was a complete bust, they wouldn't owe much of anything if anything at all.

It's not like United is in trade talks with the Metros and is willing to give up a first rounder for this guy on the spot. If and only if he performed well would DC owe the Metros a thing.

25. DCSharksFC

DCSharksFC Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Virginia Tech
    i'm sure he'd contribute, but we all know what nowak does when he's told "this kid's got talent"

i doubt he'd be interested, especially if he'd have to take a pay cut

i don't like him, either, he's too much of the traditional south american target forward, clutch when he WANTS to be, and an a**hole when he shouldn't be, plus he's gotten lessons from guevara and gaven on how to ruin a career