SFR:Chicago as Olympic Host

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Pyro, Jul 14, 2005.

1. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Track is almost as big a draw as soccer, from what I've been led to understand.

A field hockey field is 91.4 x 55 meters. I wonder if they can plop that down into one of the ball parks?

Is there a natatorium around somewheres?

How about tennis?

The indoor stuff (gymnastics, team handball, volleyball, basketball) is covered with the UC, the Pavillion and Allstate Arena (as well as perhaps Welsh-Ryan).

At least two more soccer venues besides SF and the Firehouse.

And the village. Can't forget Olympic Village.

Flat and fast. That'll be some marathon!

2. BigRedEd97

BigRedEd97 New Member

Mar 31, 2004
    Chicago
    The Chicago area does not have adequate venues for the water sports events (rowing, kayak, canoe), so those would either have to be built somewhere in the area or, more likely, held down in Indianapolis where the World Championships for rowing were held in '99. I know it sounds odd with the lake, river, and lagoon here but these events (particularly the straight course events) require a body of water that does not incur the turbulence that Lake Michigan experiences and is wide enough to have seven lanes and a practice lane. The Atlanta games also held kayak events in Tennessee I believe.

I can't imagine that the track and field would be held at Soldier Field. Taking out the first ten rows or so of the lower level would mean that just about everyone will have obstructed views for portions of the track, an event which typically charges the highest ticket prices for the medal races. There would be some substantial construction costs, but nowhere near what other cities had to incur.

It would be interesting to see where the city would propose to build an athletes village, especially since the city will be promoting all of the parkland and access to downtown, etc. Who knows, maybe the convert the dorms at UIC and build in some of the other vacant lots in the West Loop/University Village area.

3. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

So you build some temporary breakwaters in the lake around Meigs, er, Northerly Island and you have an area for rowing. As for kayaking, we could fix up the DesPlaines River or the Fox or some rivers in southern Cheeseland. Sailing works on the lake.

They could hold the equestrian sports or archery in south Grant Park or in one of the Forest Preserves.

As for other futbol venues, by that time, Peter will have built a stadium in Milwaukee.

4. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    Correct me...help me fill in blanks..tell me to get back to work.

FYI, I think Wrigley and the Cell are out because of baseball being in season, and the fact that they're not viable for much in the way of sports other than baseball/softball which are being dropped anwyay.

Aquatics - To be bulit (Northwestern? UIC?)
    Archery - ?
    Athletics - Soldier Field
    Badminton - Northeastern Illinois's Gym?
    Basketball - United Center
    Boxing - UIC Pavilion
    Canoe/Kayak - ?
    Cycling - Northbrook Velodrome
    Equestrian - Hawthorne Park
    Fencing - McCormick Place
    Football - Bridgeview Bank Stadium, Milwaukee's New Stadium
    Gymnastics - Allstate Arena
    Handball - ?
    Hockey - Ryan Field
    Judo - McCormick Place
    Modern Pentathlon - ?
    Rowing - ?
    Sailing - Lake Michigan
    Shooting - ?
    Table Tennis - McCormick Place
    Taekwondo - McCormick Place
    Tennis - To Be Built
    Triathalon - Lake, LSD
    Volleyball - Gentile Center
    Weightlifting - DePaul Athletic Center
    Wrestling - Welsh-Ryan Arena

5. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Beyond all those, you'll need to include practice venues for all the teams. For some sports (like soccer) this shouldn't be too big a problem. And, the surface of the practice venue should be the same as the surface that they'll play on. Specifically, if the competition is played on field turf, the practice venue should also be field turf. My boss' cousin-in-law was an assistant coach for the Indian Men's Field Hockey team, and that was one of his complaints (outside of the food).

Also, the practice venues should be somewhat close by to the Village--not four hours away by bus.

And don't forget this place for the 'lesser' indoor sports:

[​IMG]

Sears Center

6. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    Forgot they were building that, though Hoffman Estates is a haul with no public transportation option outside of Pace...yet. Will the theoretical STAR (isn't that the name of the Metra's proposed circular line) be built near that?

7. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Doubtful, but it is right off the highway so if not they'll run buses. I'm too lazy to see if Metra runs close by.

UIC's natatorium.

[​IMG]

NU's Norris Aquatics Center

Neither look Olympic enough.

8. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It all sounds like a big pain in the ass to me.

Hey, that's the second time I've said that today.

9. cabanes

cabanes New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    world citizen
    as long as the CTA and public transit's situation isn't resolved, there is no way Chicago will get the olympics.
    and out of curiosity, what would the baseball stadiums be used? Nothing that I can forsee.

10. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the rowing events could easily be held in the chain-o-lakes. They could make some deal with UIC or northwestern to update their pools for swimming and diving. I'm sure this was brought up by daley because he wants to take some of the heat off his administration. What does he care anyway, Jesse Jackson Jr. will be in his third term in 16.

11. lammygeek

lammygeek New Member

Feb 4, 2003
    minneapolis mn
    Added some suggestions in bold:

Could they do something with Sportsmans? That land could very well still be sitting waiting to be developed in 2016. Not sure what they would build that they could use in the future though...

12. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    I thought about that, but I thought that someone already had plans for that land

13. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Note that the hockey is field hockey - not ice hockey.