SF Analysis: GER-ESP - Kassai (HUN)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Refereeing' started by MassachusettsRef, Jul 5, 2010.

1. LiquidYogi

LiquidYogi Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    That was a good game...referee stayed out of it looking like he was doing absolutely nothing, loved it.

2. LiquidYogi

LiquidYogi Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Yeah that wasn't a foul. Puyol didn't go for him he stopped and his leg was on the ground and the Shweinsteiger just fell over it. At some point it's gotta go from someone tripping you to you tripping over someone instead.

3. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    Great game and such a refreshing display of fair play IMO. I think Kassai got every major call correct except perhaps that studs to the foot tackle early on in the game. All of the close "fouls" around the Spanish penalty area just seemed to not be much of anything to me. Germans complained slightly, but I think they knew that these weren't really fouls. There were some apparent errors by the ARs, but these were not awful/obvious misses. Overall, a good match and a good job by the officials.

4. balla

balla Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Melbourne,Australia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    No foul are you joking? Schweinsteiger had the ball and knocked it forward Puyol missed the ball and cleaned him up foul every day of the week.

5. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    Exactly...eventually the defender has a right to have his leg in a location, even if it is in the path of an attacker.

6. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agreed.

Puyol's leg stopped Moving only after contact with Shweinsteiger.

It was not like he stumbled over a static object.

The referee got two edge of the box free kick decisions wrong and both agains the Germans and in favour of spain.

7. LiquidYogi

LiquidYogi Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Not for this referee...and not for the referee below me. Maybe in high school or something but not at this level, it's just our opinions though.

8. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    :confused:

Why because too much is stake here?

I have seen them given more times then not by a fair margin.

9. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I liked the way Kassai whistled the match. To be sure, there were several fouls that could have been carded. And there were a couple of incidents in and around the box that were not called. But basically Kassai let the players in charge of the game and wanted the officials to be as invisible as possible. While this style won't work in other games, it worked well in this match as both Germany and Spain are sides that try to play fairly; neither side is the kind to just want to hack and dive.

10. vhatever

vhatever Red Card

Jun 16, 2010
    USA
    You talking about Ozil?? Ozils was a clear foul. Contact from behind, resulting in a trip, while in the penalty box obvious scoring opportunity. I don't mind that missed call horibly because of how fast that play went off, [edited]. Just ineistia alone dove half a dozen times, and ref bought every one. Also the linesman gave the wrong team poession 3 times, 2 throw ins and one corner cick at a crucial time.

11. balla

balla Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Melbourne,Australia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It's true though.

12. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agreed .

His overall officiating except two incidents was good. Though it was not the toughest games to call ,he went out of his way to not book anyone.

But he got two crucial free kicks on the edge of the box wrong against the Germans. Which could have been crucial oppurtunities for the Germans.

Btw,if there is such a lenient referee in the Final ,The dutch will kick Spain all night and stop them playing. The Germans never tried it ,but the dutch have done that already to Brazil and rattled their cage.

13. MrRC

MrRC Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Be careful. MassRef will cite you for accusing another poster of bias. :eek:

14. hindudot1788

hindudot1788 Member

Apr 25, 2009
    Kassai was similarly lenient in the US-Ghana game. A lot of no-calls and the penalty against Ghana was the most blatant penalty of the World Cup. Personally, I'm ok with the referee taking that kind of approach as long as he keeps the match under control and doesn't let the match disintegrate into a hack-fest

15. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stop. You kept a vendetta against celeste4life and brought it from thread-to-thread-to-thread. It wasn't appropriate for the forum. Fans are allowed to contribute without having their motives constantly challenged.

As for everyone else... the allegations of cheating or a fix have been dealt with; thanks to those who reported them. Please don't respond to them because I have to delete responses that include the original quote. Thanks.

16. MrRC

MrRC Member

Jun 17, 2009
    I only saw the 2nd half, but Kassai did a masterful job in that time.

There was excellent flow in the match, the players respected him and his decisions, there was not a bunch of cynical fouls, there was no appealing for calls or cards. He didn't give a free kick unless there was clear contact caused by the opponent. A couple of times the attacking player ran over or into the defender and went down. Kassai correctly decided no foul. He also made three outstanding decisions in the penalty areas--each one to not blow the whistle.

This was easily the best performance that I saw from a referee.

17. LiquidYogi

LiquidYogi Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nah we've already discussed that, we don't think it was a foul, he was looking to go down. And I wanted Germany to win :p

18. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I think a good referee should have some understanding of the flow of the game and determine the style that best works for that match. In this game, I liked Kassai's hands off and lenient way of officiating. But I was very critical of Nishimura for letting the Holland-Brazil match get out of hand, as that game IMO required the active intervention of the referee to penalize the many instances of overly vociferous dissent, hacking, diving, and fouling.

19. vhatever

vhatever Red Card

Jun 16, 2010
    USA
    there is not "thinking" about it. It's a textbook PK.

20. LiquidYogi

LiquidYogi Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Yes there's always thinking...this forum is for analysis. You may not agree but you're not the ref, ref's decisions are final.

21. LiquidYogi

LiquidYogi Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Also contact happened outside the box so it wouldn't have been a PK anyways.

22. UK93JJG

UK93JJG New Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    I don't agree that Kassai was lenient. I thought he had a fantastic game, and I think he could well be the final referee in four years time, definitely got a Champions League final in the near future. I thought the Ramos tackle on Podolski in the first half was the only debatable point, as he probably should have been booked. We need more refs like him, that take time over decisions and don't jump for the yellow card. Other refs could have easily booked two or three out there tonight even though it wasn't a dirty game. Kassai realises it's a physical game, and throughout the tournament has been consistent and really has only issued cautions worthy of being cautions. Probably my call for ref of the tournament.

23. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Who are the "we" you referring too?

I thought the majority on here agreed that it was a foul. The only debateable point was that was it inside or outside the box.
    And in the Match thread even a bigger majority seemed to agree it was a foul.

24. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    I must have missed the "majority" somewhere.

I agree with the poster(s) that have said Kassai has set himself up well for future tournaments. We will be seeing a lot more of him in the future, and I, for one, will be happy to see him.

25. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with everything but the last sentence. I think Baldassi was tested more and I liked Baldassi's style more. But that's a subjective preference. I think Kassai comes out of the tournament as the best young referee.

He's got a UCL Final in his future. He's also available to do almost any major match in UEFA, since he's Hungarian. He's taking on the Lubos Michel mantle--just with an approach to officiating that is a little different. He's going to be around for awhile.