Sexism

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by johan neeskens, Mar 17, 2011.

1. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I've asked you before and I'll ask you again supermods. Just when are you going to tell your mods to do something about the continuous sexism across BigSoccer?

1 person likes this.
  2. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    You're going to have to be more specific please.

3. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Start here
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1243006
    (It's a fairly good example of how people ignore her and her argument simply because she can be a hardass.)

And FWIW, while she can be a pain in gonads sometimes, I agree with her for the most part.

5. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  6. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, I thought it was pretty uncool to divert the attention of the death of the Keeper's wife's to some stupid fans...

7. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    The sex of the poster should never enter into that discussion no matter how you feel about her contributions. Like I said, if I see that stuff I'll yellow card it and would ask that all mods should not tolerate that.

8. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Fine...

Neekens, I'm sorry...friends? :)

9. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I was actually given a warning for trolling - I'd be surprised if Cris got the same.

It's not just this incident DK. It happens every week, somewhere. I'm hardly a demure wallflower and can take an insult or two but it's got beyond the beyonds of late. I'm sure I'm not the only woman on BigSoccer who feels this way.

10. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    It's fine, don't take it personally. I'm going against a general trend on BigSoccer that's all.

11. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I was given an infraction for "Reason: Abused/Flamed Users - Severe". Mine was a red one and minus 5 points - whatever that means. :cool:

12. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's also a trend in football/soccer globally as well, sadly.

13. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Would you say the same thing to someone who complained about racism on BigSoccer?

14. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would seem that there is a lot of lazy moderating going around.

15. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    You should point it out then because moderators absolutely should not tolerate that kind of stuff. To be honest, I'll be very unhappily surprised if this is a common occurrence experienced by women posters on this site.

16. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It is more prevalent in certain forums, to be sure, but I would say it is a regular occurrence once posters discover you are a woman.

1 person likes this.
  17. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Nah, just Neeskens.

Women and girls on the German boards have a great time. :)

18. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiWeqVYYI1c&feature=related"]YouTube - Roger Moore's best line as Bond (Moonraker)[/ame]

Well, I suppose you guys aren't fans of James Bond then....??

;)

2 people repped this.
  19. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    You really should quit while you're behind cris.

We're talking about an issue for the site generally - not your justification for being obnoxious.

20. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Right...carry on then.

*unsubs*

21. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I don't like telling on people so I'd rather address it in general terms. It's a BigSoccer-wide problem. Mods just let posters get away with it. I'm sure that as a forum, demographics are an issue for you, and the small number of women posting is an issue for you. All this is not helping. As soon as fellow posters find out you're a woman you get put down on BigSoccer and that's a fact. I know that you don't approve, and I'm sure BigSoccer in general doesn't approve. I just wonder how much of a hold you've got on your mods that's all.

2 people repped this.
  22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not even close to a red.

Yup, in general. Further, there are a great number of posters who freak out when they find that a poster is a woman after they have been thinking she was male. I've seen this happen on a regular occasion to HorseHead.

I don't think it is that "mods let posters get away with it" so much as mods don't really address it or even think it is serious (ignorance as opposed to uncaring). DK, behind the scenes, I've seen a couple of mods say rather disparaging things, and one did not think it to be a problem.

And, DK, until this is addressed fully, this topic will continue to reappear in CS.

23. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As one of the few female mods around here, I want to say that I know that I can do better in my forums with this exact issue.

I fear that part of my hesitance, in all honesty, is because it is a systemic problem beyond the borders of BigSoccer. Not an excuse, though. I will endeavor to do better.

24. Crisstti

Crisstti Member+

May 29, 2010
    Chile
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, I haven't ever felt put down by anyone because I'm a woman, not by anything anyone has said to me. But there is no doubt a big degree of sexism in what people post, since it's very common that they use references to women as put downs (not a problem limited to these forums, nor to football, for that matter). Anyway, it bothered me, so I ended up pointing it out in the German forums, and people were very cool about it and I've hardly seen that kind of talk since.

2 people repped this.