Several significant quotes from Don Garber today at the AP Sports Editors Conference

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by carnifex2005, Apr 21, 2016.

1. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    May as well create a new thread for this. Lots of info. Here it is collated from Reddit...

https://www.reddit.com/r/MLS/comments/4ftpu5/several_significant_quotes_from_don_garber_today/

Alexander Abnos has been tweeting out live updates from Don Garber's conference at the AP Sports Editors Conference today. I'll try to post the most remarkable quotes below as they come in.

• Next set of MLS expansion decisions are "the last we'll have to make for about the next 10 years."

• Garber says FC Cincinnati rep called yesterday asking about entry into MLS. Garber: "I said 'you'll have to wait a while.'"

• Garber: MLS is spending more money producing our own content than our broadcast partners are spending on our behalf.

• Garber on Miami: "It's gonna happen. If it doesn't happen, it would surprise us."

• Garber says St. Louis & Sacramento are leading the pack for the next round of expansion. Says "Sacramento is MLS-ready."

• Asked to give an expansion priority, Garber says: "Detroit, San Diego, San Antonio/Austin, and I'd be remiss to not point out Cincinnati."

• Garber wants next round of expansion teams to start play in 2020.

• Garber: "There isn't an update I can give you" on NYCFC stadium progress.

• From Andrew Das: Garber says Boston is further along on stadium (than NYCFC), says Kraft agrees it's time. (But, again, no hole in ground, no stadium near.)

• "I think you'll see half of our teams investing in women's teams." Also says there's no league-level incentive for clubs to do that.

• Garber: MLS in negotiations with IFAB to test instant replay. Says a European league is also interested.

• On WNT fight: "I'm confident we will do the right thing. We need to be on the right side of history here."
    Also some words from Deputy Comissioner Mark Abbott:

• New league media policy is intended to bring MLS more in line w/ player access levels for "Big 4" leagues

• LAFC stadium remains on-track, by LAFC's own timetable, to open in 2018.

(TxT), Ben7, tab5g and 13 others repped this.
  2. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    #2 Len, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    Perhaps I've not been following as closely as I thought, so I'd appreciate someone sorting this out for me:
    My understanding is that Miami has not officially been granted a team; the league is still waiting on the stadium situation to sort itself out.

So, are St Louis, Sacramento, Detroit, SD, SA, and possible Cincinnati ahead of Miami? Or is the assumption Miami is already in and these cities are all competing to come in after them?

3. sawillis

sawillis Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Smyrna, TN
    Miami is 24

4. Len

Len Member+

Jan 18, 1999
    #4 Len, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    I know that's what the league would like, but can we assume this is a done deal? Becks is coming eeeeeeevvvvver so close to securing the needed land for a stadium, so is the league just penciling them in at 24? I honestly don't know; just asking.

5. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...ber-miami-mls-launch-2018-20160421-story.html

Is Miami official? No. Is Miami ahead of the other cities mentioned by Garber? Yes.

SoccerPrime, tab5g and Len repped this.
  6. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if this was said to be a positive, showing how much MLS is doing, or a negative, complaining about ESPN and Fox?

I am leaning towards the former since I think some of this stuff would be written into the TV contract and there should not be a lot of surprises about what the partners are doing.

7. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kraft building a stadium is BS...
    All this says to me is that NYCFC stadium is DOA.

Gamecock14, mbar and TheLostUniversity repped this.
  8. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you can't pass the Kraft Bar then you are DAPOO.

9. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Any news about Chicago getting an MLS caliber team?

10. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    My guess is that the stadium will get sorted out, but not before 2019. Sacramento is the wildcard that you hang onto until you must play it. But i suspect it will be played before Miami.

The only problem that I see with Sacramento and LA entering in the same year is that their names are not both United.

11. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    But, but, but ... what about pro/rel?

;):whistling:

12. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

MPNumber9 repped this.
  13. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if the Revolution have 0% chance of getting a stadium announcement this year, how far down in negative numbers do we have to go to reach the percentage for NYCFC?

Mad Hattah, Gamecock14 and Lancaster FC repped this.
  14. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Foghorn_Leghorn.png

15. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For ever, ever, ever, ever, ever infinity...ever.

16. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Don Garber said:

"It will happen. We're just prioritizing getting to the magic number of 64 teams in the league, working on pro/reg, getting rid of the single entity structure and signing some big names like Landon Donovan IV and Global King Apple North Pilot Inspektor Ibrahimovic first"

rslfanboy, MPNumber9 and edwardgr repped this.
  17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    How is The Don's health now?

18. Len

Len Member+

Jan 18, 1999
    I was going to make some lame joke about Chicago getting one next week; it was going to be their next opponent (Get it? An MLS caliber team..........in Chicago?) but it turns out their next opponent is DC United, so I guess you'll have to wait a bit longer.

19. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read it as both.

Andy_B repped this.
  20. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So here is how I read this. If they are deciding the round of 25-28 now, and they think it will be 10 years before the next round of decisions, we are really looking at 2028 for teams 29-? Which is really not that far off in the grand scheme of things. It is slower than today for sure but assume 25 and 26 are in 2020, and 27-28 come a year or two later. It is then really only 7 years at most between team 28 and 29. By far the longest stint since MLS started expanding with RSL and Chivas, but when compared to the current big 4 not that long at all.

NFL 2002 Houston Texans
    NBA* 2002 New Orleans Pelicans or 2004 Charlotte Bobcats/Hornets
    NHL 2000 Minnesota Wild and Columbus Bluejackets
    MLB 1998 Tampa Bay Rays and Arizona Diamondbacks

The NBA officially recognizes the Pelicans as a 2002 expansion team, with the Hornets reclaiming the full team history, the Bobcats expansion in 2004 is now officially just the restarting of the Hornets after a 2 year hiatus. Of those only the NHL seems likely to expand again in the next decade.

rslfanboy repped this.
  21. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So youre saying Peter Wilt will get one up and running before the Fire do?

22. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

23. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Sheik emirates group involved with NYCFC can't figure out an imminent long term stadium solution, they made need to reexamine the stadium/field configuration of Yankee Stadium to make the game flow more playable. Looking at games at Yankee stadium there looks to be areas where they can widen the field to about a yard and a half. For starters the bench side can be moved back at least a yard back without making the corners on that side of the field too tight. Sure it will be a tighter corner configuration than normal but it would be playable.

Secondly that side of the field can be moved over at least half a yard without impeding the covered tarp mound. These changes would greatly help with the flow of the games at Yankee stadium. I'm not just making a claim, I've watched video and freezed games at the stadium and it appears when it comes down to it this could be done.

24. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As Jeff "Which way did the ambulance go" Kessler said the other day, it's apples and beach balls.

The other cities still have to get approval as league investors.

Beckham already has contractually guaranteed approval as a league investor.

So it's hard to compare the situations. As always, Beckham is unique.

As it is, the day he has a building is the day he gets a team. No other city can say that.