Seven questions:

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by jri, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I wouldn't say upset. I was merely pointing out that you again accused him of something he didn't do.

2. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca

From today's match report, Nexaca vs. U-20 Men's Nat Team :)

"Cristman, a second half substitute, played as a centerback in head coach Sigi Schmid’s 4-5-1, something he hadn’t done since his early days in youth soccer. But he did feel his debut as a defender at the international level went well, “but there were a couple of scary moments.”

Ely Allen was another that found himself in a position that he’s not too familiar with. At Washington he’s an attacking minded midfielder or a forward. This morning he was the starting leftback.

“Adam showed a couple of good things, winning some headers and he’s feisty and scrapes for things,” said Schmid. “Ely never got exposed defensively, which is the hardest thing for him. The offensive part of his game will be there.”

Schmid used Danny Karbassiyoon and Jonathan Spector as examples of players that have changed positions for a chance to make it as a pro, though Spector’s switch helped him stay with the U17 National Team. Karbassiyoon, a former forward with the U18s and in club soccer, now plays leftback for Arsenal in England. Spector was switched from forward to centerback by former U17 head coach John Ellinger, leading to a contract with Manchester United.

“You can improve your team when you have players that are more comfortable on the ball, it makes your team better,” Schmid added. “I want defenders that are comfortable on the ball, can pass the ball, and feel good about coming forward out of the back at the right time. From that standpoint it’s important.”

3. davide

davide Member

Mar 1, 2001
    I love this Ely Allen to LB move by Schmid. I think it has a chance to work out. It should've happened a couple of years ago after watching how poorly the outside backs on the 2003 U-17 team played on that team and failed to develop afterward. The 2001 outside backs were all busts as well. Ellinger never seemed to figure that out.

4. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    (3) On converting Will John to a defender-- after seeing him play on Saturday I think it may be premature. I think there's enough in his play to see what he can do as a forward or attacking mid. But I'm not necessarily saying some defensive position is out of the question, as Sigi has lauded his versatility. Who knows, maybe DMid or even marking back. But the next few years will determine if he will stay in an attacking position.

The two Sigi put in the back, Allen and Christman, are good players, but probably not quite talented enough to compete against players like Adu and Rogers up top. Be interesting to see if they continue to develop in the back.

5. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

6. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    This Rogers kid has popped out of nowhere in the past few months and im lovin hereing about him. I hope PSV signs him. He sounds great. I hope FSW shows the qualifying tournament so i can watch him play.

7. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    RR is very interesting indeed.

I would hope that since the U20's are in HDC, and right down the road from FSW HQ (right?), that this may be easy and cost effective for them to carry.

Also have that big name attraction in the Fredster. Fingers crossed.

I want to see how RR and Denny compare to our Brandenton/College/MLS guys.

8. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Actually, he's been a known quantity for some time. He spent a semester or two at Bradenton before deciding to come home, where he played for his club team and then for Orange County Blue Star, a PDL team. Varying accounts have him being mentored by Juergen Klinsmann, who played at Blue Star. I'm sure his connections to Klinsmann and Sigi Schmid opened some doors as far as overseas tryouts, but the bottom line is that unless he could reasonably compete for a spot, there was no way either Klinsmann or Schmid would put their reputations on the line by sending over a wannabe. I have a feeling he'll be signed at some European club, but we'll have to wait and see.

9. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I believe that his trial at Bayern Munich was through a connection with Klinsmann.