Setback?

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by vflkirwan, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Couple of quick things:

The plan for a stadium will not include building out for more parking space, it will include building up.

80,000 seat stadium on the west side of manhattan and 25,000 - 30,000 in Willets Point is apples and oranges. Metros could have gotten something done if they were so inclined, but I suspect the Harrison deal made more sense for them.

2. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    just like a shea stadium deal makes sence for us....

chau drink i'm done with ya.................................

3. vflkirwan

vflkirwan Member

Mar 28, 2000
    North Jersey
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes it is. But the question was the distance from the Newark Arena to the new Red Bull Arena. That is a shade over a mile.

4. vflkirwan

vflkirwan Member

Mar 28, 2000
    North Jersey
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting a SSS built within 'city' limits of any MLS team is a very daunting challenge.

How many teams are actually playing in their said city?

Look at the stadiums built/being built.

Pizza Hut Park is @1hr outside of Dallas.
    Toyota Park is @30 minutes outside of Chicago.
    Dicks is @ 30 minutes outside of Denver
    RSL, I think this is the closest one (@15 minutes outside of SL)
    Phila stadium will be in Chester @ 25 minutes south of downtown.
    DC is having problems getting new digs within the District.

MLS doesn't have the clout yet to really be in control when dealing with said citys and the burbs are more willing to play ball.

5. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    St. Louis' SSS is only 7 miles (about 10 min) from downtown and people are still bitching. :confused:

6. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Is it still within the CITY limits? I mean this stadium will not be in Downtown or Midtown - but its in City Limits of NY

7. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think that many people forget that soccer/football/futbol is basically a CITY sport. It's not a suburban sport. That's some of the reason for the success of TFC and DCU. It's also the reason why RB and the Metros before them tried to get out of Giants. It's also the reason for the push for NYC/Mets, etc etc

8. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

No, it's not even with in the STATE limits. :D

The shaded green area is Missouri. Then the Mississippi River. And the White is Illinois.

[​IMG]

9. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It is the same situation that exista between the Red Bulls and NYC............

10. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you 100%.

11. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Maybe it's not that hard. Maybe MLS has never taken the inner city ethnic market seriously, and is mostly interested in the soccer mom set. MAybe that's why these teams havent' made a great effort to have an in town stadium.

12. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like Foxboro...me brian and a few others wanted to go up to Foxboro to watch the US play a few years back..game was on memorial day weekend..none of us wanted to drive..so we said lets just take the chinatown bus..then bus or train to Foxboro...looked into it...and NO TRAIN or BUS goes to foxboro..WTF ??? is that about...Stupid move

13. vflkirwan

vflkirwan Member

Mar 28, 2000
    North Jersey
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice try. Buzz, you lose... again.

14. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're not serious, are you?

15. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I am. I certainly witnessed the dwindling of the latino fans at metrostars games over the years, and saw the increase in the family set. I think at the inception of the league, our founding fathers so gold in the suburbs, and discounted the inner city population. But as many have said before me, there's gold in the ghetto.

16. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually the dwindling you saw was not the involvement of the league, it was caused by Nick Sackiewicz. Did it greatly diminish the current fan base? Absolutely.

17. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What did Nick do? Not arguing the point, I'm curious about him and his actions. I've heard many negative things about him but no one pinpoints anything specific. I'm really curious.

18. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had his sales team focus on group sales to teams and families, as well as corporate entities, as opposed to going after real soccer fans. He allowed the sale and use of those stupid annoying horns, so for years we had kids running around with those things pi$$ing everyone off. He distanced himself and the FO from the ESC. He dissolved La Doce. He just didn't care about the fans. His bottom line was to bring in as many people as possible right away, no matter if they were real fans who would come back for more, or mere attendees who got free tickets and never returned. He was the one that inflated attendance based on tickets sold or given away, and not the actual fans in the seats. By doing that he alienated most of the fan base, including hard core support.

19. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    How could he dissolve La Doce? Was it a FO sponsored supporter group?

Does this mean that Philly will experience much of the same?

20. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask your boy El Flaco, he ran the show.

21. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100% correct

22. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know, it all depends whether he learns from previous experience. Philly fans are currently on cloud nine, so they don't respond well to anything that could effect their team in a negative manner. When Metro fans first commented on Nick joining Philly, their fans pointed fingers at our fans as a reason for our bad attendance. No one looked at the fact that when MetroStars began play in 1996 they had almost 9,000 season tickets and that attendance really started plunging after the 2001 season. But... it is what it is. If they face the same bu11sh!t, I'd hate to say but 'we told you so'.

23. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus they never had to put up with the gimmicks...that turned off more people then the bad play or Front Office put together

24. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That depends on what you consider 'gimmicks'. If you're talking about the '60 to 90 days' quote, then I'm a true believer that something similar awaits Philadelphia.

25. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gimmicks like the clock "down"..shoot outs...silly names...silly jerseys etc...