Setback?

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by vflkirwan, Sep 26, 2008.

1. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They can keep the NY moniker. Everyone will know they are fake anyhow. But honestly I think that its better to not be called by the city you are from. Why? Well just listen to announcers during sports casts or news programs. Instead of saying the Dynamo they call them Houston. Red Sox are called Boston, the Braves are refered to as Atlanta and so on.

It's almost as if the name of the institution just didnt count. This is another reason why I would prefer being called the COSMOS. Because COSMOS is greater than saying NY. Even NYCFC would end up being called just New York.

So while I understand that its something thats NORMAL, I dont see it as being ok. It's lazy and total undermines the name of the institution.

2. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL

Oh --- RED BULL! I glazed over the NY and NJ and thought you were talkiing about Club America, with the big COCA COLA ads on their kit.

Silly, silly me.

Red Bull or Metrostars -- the only real problem is the history of mediocrity. A winning team is a winning team, name be damned, and never mind the ad on the shirt. Build THAT and they will come -- NY or NJ.

3. vflkirwan

vflkirwan Member

Mar 28, 2000
    North Jersey
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They didn't have a vote when they bought the club, why would they have a vote if NYC got a 2nd team. Most of the fans would have kept Metro in the name, to not alienate any fans from NY or NJ.

4. vflkirwan

vflkirwan Member

Mar 28, 2000
    North Jersey
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In terms of 'actual' attendance, mass transit will be the key to any new stadium a team has built or plays in.

In terms of making money, though, it is not the deal breaker. Dallas seems to be doing quite well for itself even though their distance from Dallas has caused some sparsely attendanced games.

5. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that is actually a pretty silly non-starter of a comparison, come to think of it.

6. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Im not going to claim to know everything about Jersey but while Mass Transit will help - i also think the best thing about Harrison is the location for local Jersey folk without cars. I think being so close to Kearny is going to be great for RB - With all the History for football in that area, this is a chance to resurect one of the hotbeds for the game in this country - and that is huge.

Also, how far is that from Newark by the Devs new arena - I know they have a large portuguese (I THINK) area right there. While Mass Transit are huge - I think the local areas of Jersey might be able to accept this team more in a Soccer Specific Stadium in the middle of populated areas!

7. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think that as the league grows in popularity and importance attendance revenue isnt AS important. Yes it does contribute to the overall financial landscape of a franchise but it becomes much less important than say TV or sponsorship money.

8. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Less then a mile walking distance.

9. vflkirwan

vflkirwan Member

Mar 28, 2000
    North Jersey
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thinks its a shade over a mile actually.

10. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I glazed over the relevance of your comparison, but now realize how irrelevant it is. Silly, silly me.

11. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well it looks like newark is going to turn around too - trying to build that up - and that will spill over into more people moving into the area and more people to go to that stadium.

Lets face it - the RB stayed in jersey because the league wants two teams in the area and I think they put the new stadium in a GREAT SPOT! Its going to be amazing for them! The stadium is going to be a beauty too!

12. Gandalf The Red

Gandalf The Red BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 23, 2006
    It will be cool to see who holds sway over the hudson River;)

13. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ironbound section is right across the river, it's less then a mile.

14. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RB stayed in Jersey because there are no other viable options in NYC. Think of it this way, if Wilpon is not involved in the Queens team, do you really think the stadium is going to be build next to Citi Field? Do you really think there would even be talk of a team?

15. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    yes that is going to be the most interesting thing about it. the fans are the ones that will light this up like it was Buenos Aires, Rio, or London.

16. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not for nothing but having two teams is better than one. Metros as much as you may not want another team in the area, you know that the rivalry and ensuing derby will be a great thing.

17. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes - there are investors lined up for this - if indeed Wilpon changes his mind - while it would set back the timeline of the team - someone else would step up! These are words from officials during our meetings!

18. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HUH ???? RB stayed in NJ because there are no other viable options ?? Options of what ??

here is a list of ballparks/stadiums built or being built in NYC:
    Coney Island Keyspan park
    Staten Island yankees
    US Open Tennis center
    Shea 2
    Yankee Stadium 2

To say you can't build in NYC, or there is no where to build is bogus. The biggest problem in the next few years in NYC, will be overcrowding on subways & buses. They're building TOO FAST, TOO SOON. This is as far as housing is concerned.

19. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did I ever say that having two teams was a bad idea?

20. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You got me then, that's the first I heard of this. I have to say, I would be surprised if Wilpon gives up the parking space for something he would not be involved in.

21. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it really bogus? If you look at those stadiums closely:

Coney Island Keyspan park - Perhaps this is your best bet. But this is a minor league stadium with 6,500 seats. A soccer stadium with 25,000 seats would require far more space. How many acres did they have to work with? Would an SSS even fit there?

Staten Island yankees - So... what train goes to Staten Island? They can have Nascar too, if they want.

US Open Tennis center - Arthur Ashe stadium opened up in 1997, prior to any plans for any SSS anywhere. And again, how much space does it take up compared to a soccer stadium?

Shea 2 - Yes, but they're recycling space.

Yankee Stadium 2 - Again, building a new stadium with the promise that the land from the old stadium would be used to replace park space.

You can't even use the example of your future team, because they too are recycling space. It just happens that Wilpon is willing to part with parking spaces as long as it makes him money. A better example would be the new Barclay's Arena which just faced yet another 6 month delay. How long has that saga been going on? In addition, if there really was space, don't you think the Jets would have moved back to NYC instead of sharing with the Giants in the Meadowlands? They tried Manhattan, and MSG shut that down, wouldn't they have tried elsewhere in the city if space was available? Keep in mind that back in the day Metromedia attempted to put a stadium at the site of Aqueduct Racetrack, but that didn't work out either.

22. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually - Wilpon is not willing to PART with Parking to make himself some money at all! Wilpon is very concerned with parking in the area - he knows its a major concern of the local community! Dont think its fair for you to say that about him when you dont have the facts. Granted I dont have ALL the facts but can tell you that parking concerns in the area are taken into consideration - if they are not - then the stadium would meet incredible opposition!

Second the Jets didnt stay in jersey because of space, remember there was space on the West Side but someone shot it down (not naming them) Then they threw a plan together in Queens which took up space - park land which they said they would replace but that was shot down - so the Jets didnt stay in Jersey because of lack of space - in fact the Jets tried twice to get back to NY with two different plans - they were shot down!

As for the center in BK - yes its taken for ever but the SPACE you say is not there - is there - its just meeting hurdles!

Granted we cant PROVE that the RB stayed in Jersey because of NY2 but you can not discredit it totally!

NY2 has been the leagues dream for a long time - its not a secret - Its Garbers fav. project - you cant shoot down the notion that it had something to do with Red Bull Arenas location!

23. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're telling me that the Mets are going to build a parking deck to supplement the spaces taken by the stadium, that's fine. But they're still using the same land. If you're telling me that they're going to pave another area just so other can park, please tell me where this is going to happen, because I would love to know.
    Not naming them? You mean MSG. Okay, so both proposal were shot down. The second being because the Jets wanted to built on park land. Point is, the Jets couldn't get it done, the Metrostars weren't going to get it done either.
    The same Arena that was supposed to be open in 2009? It may go through, but you can file me under 'I'll believe it when I see it', much like RBA.
    The Metrostars stayed in Jersey because it was the most viable option. In Harrison you have access to major highways (280 and Turnpike), access to rail, and access to public transport from the city (Path). Consider that you also have the town of Harrison willing to contribute land and $40 million, and it was a no-brainer.

24. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keyspan is now 7,500 seats which are sold out,,they want to make Brooklyn a double AA team and make it 15,000 seats..but the yanks don't want that

The jets or should I say Woody johnson wanted Manhattan..He was offered land in Queens..his response why would we move to Queens ???? Why because this is where your fans base is. I was a season tix holder for the jets..when he said this..I was done with that team..I hope they lose every game they ever play except for the Fish & Giants :D

Yes Brooklyn hit a snag..Brooklyn is the new Manhattan..so yes it will take longer..but it will happen..and they'll outdraw the Knicks too. My point is there is plenty of land in NYC..it might cost more then NJ..but its there.

25. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Metro this is going to happen soft drink has no presece in NY
    Wilpon would have not wasted his time going to MLS cup if he were not really interested....

rred vomit is NY in name only and that circus comes to an end when a proper team sets up shop here

as far as the aquaduct deal charlie lost out when he could not get certin deals in place in time Home depot was able to put things in place 1st and bought more property in aquaduct to expand their store......

charlie feel asleep on that one but it really was high up than him who could not decide and hesitated on the deal....

he told me himself over coffe one december afternoon when I went to pick up a pay check