Setanta picture quality on Globecast

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by matty311, Apr 4, 2009.

1. matty311

matty311 Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I'm thinking of going the globecast route since it doesn't seem like Setanta will be offered on Comcast in Pittsburgh anytime soon. Anyone who has Setanta on Globecast, how is the picture quality????

2. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just looking into it - it seems you can get a system (dish, digital box, remote) for under $200 - a one time fee. Then you only pay for the channels you want - Setanta would be $15/mo. Also Globecast offers a bunch of free international channels where you might be able to catch a qualifying match or two. Seems like a decent compliment to an all-analog lower tier cable setup.

3. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    If you don't care about Setanta 2, Setanta's overflow channel only available on DirecTV, then Globecast is definitely the way to go.

With that receiver, you can also get the other ethnic channels available on the same satellite (Galaxy 19, at 97W). It includes channel from Iran, Tunisia, Algeria, Sudan, Saudi, Syria, etc. When it's World Cup qualifying time, it's like a carnival of World Cup qualifying games from CAF and AFC...

4. joselacruz

joselacruz New Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Setanta 2 on the globecast system is not Setanta extra available on Directv..It is where there Premiuim service to bars/restaurants/social clubs receive there matches

5. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    does it play the same content when there is no premium content (i.e. the third prem game on Saturday at 3?)

6. matty311

matty311 Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Globecast offers the standard Setanta channel that you get everywhere else. On the same satellite are a few Setanta Adhoc feeds that are encrypted 99% of the time, except the odd time when the feed is open, possibly because some pub somewhere is having issues with opening up the encrypted feed.

7. joselacruz

joselacruz New Member

Apr 11, 2006
    no it does not

8. kstuart

kstuart Member

Jul 13, 1999
    Northern California
    WARNING - Most Globecast receivers and smart cards for sale on ebay are old ones that Globecast will not allow you to use to subscribe to content like Setanta.

Since those receivers will work for other free content, then ebay cannot prevent them from being sold, although the descriptions never tell you the above.

Best is to get a new receiver from an authorized supplier, like Sadoun (no connection to me, and I have not purchased from them, but I know they carry the equipment).

9. 7spencer7

7spencer7 Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Outside Boston
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have purchased equipment from Sadoun in the past and they are top notch.