Setanta Megathread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by kevruth, Jun 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dish Network call-centers aren't ready to deal with and answer questions about Setanta, I assume they'll put it back on the 1st, and be ready to handle subscription requests for the channel.

2. giacomo

giacomo New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Well I am going to call up August 1 because the rumor is that August 1 it is launching. I wrote Dish an email last week and the lady who responded to me said Setanta will be on one of the free preview channels starting August 2 up until September. I'm sorry I do not have the original email to paste in here, but that is what she told me.

3. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    that would be nice.

4. hammer66

hammer66 New Member

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto
    (ignore - duplicate post)

5. hammer66

hammer66 New Member

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto
    I'm not sure about the August 1 date (I'm in Canada, and we can't legally subscribe to Dish Network). However, all I can say, is that it is already showing on Channel 406 (I checked the night before last ;) ). Now, if they could just add Setanta Xtra .... :) .

(Before I get chastised too much, please be aware that "satellite testing" of US services is the national sport of Canada :) (and has been for a decade or more), and its illegality is dubious at best).

6. Kibby

Kibby Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Ottawa
    I'd like to drop a big F*CK YOU to Setanta and the Score for what you've done to Canadian EPL. Big subscription fees, that is if the service is even available to you, and ticker tape on Sunday.. but oh oh thanks for the 1 game in HD. douchebags

7. kstuart

kstuart Member

Jul 13, 1999
    Northern California
    Do we look like we are Setanta (or The Score)?

We are just soccer fans here...

8. mitch-d

mitch-d New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    hello everyone,
    i live in england and want to watch the la galaxy games on tv in england but its hard to get the best channel for la galaxy games i have two options which should i chose and why the options are :

setanta sports package which i get 10 different channels

fox soccer channel

please reply with some helpfull information

thanks
    mitch

9. kstuart

kstuart Member

Jul 13, 1999
    Northern California
    Setanta UK does not have LA Galaxy games.

Fox Soccer Channel is not broadcast in the UK.

This is the thread for Setanta's North American channels, so no one here can help you - you need to post in the LA GALAXY FORUM here at bigsoccer.com where there are other people in the UK who watch LA Galaxy.

10. mitch-d

mitch-d New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    ok thanks for the info what channel would you recommend that i get

thanks
    mitch

11. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Jersey City
    I just signed up for Setanta broadband this morning in preparation for the new season and I've been very impressed by it. So far I've watched the 3rd place game of the Asian Championship and the picture is very good without any choppiness. I've got it hooked up to my 35" TV with an S-Video cable and the picture still looks good at that size.

12. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    is everything that Setanta shows on the broadband version? cost?

13. Crammers

Crammers Member

Apr 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    not everything, but all the football is. Apart from the delay broadcasting of Galway v Sunderland on Wednesday, pah.

Its $11.99 a month.

14. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Jersey City
    The stuff they list on their site as not being available for the broadband is MUTV, Chelsea TV and Super 12's rugby. The premiership games they have the rights to will be available, I believe the Portuguese Superliga is only available with the broadband service. It's 12 bucks a month or 150 for a year, if you buy the annual package you get all PPV events they have for free which isn't bad considering that it's only a few bucks more than if you paid 12 bucks a month for a year.

15. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    if Adu goes to Benfica, it will be interesting to see if their is a spike in subscriptions.

16. Johnny Bundesliga

Aug 6, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Great to hear. I have a similar setup -- S-Video to a 36" TV. Were you able to view full-screen? Will be interested to see if the pic quality holds up for higher demand matches like the EPL.

17. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm interest to know what type of connections ( obviously broadband) but what speed, etc? You and Tarheel have?

Thanks.

18. kstuart

kstuart Member

Jul 13, 1999
    Northern California
    The following was posted by someone else, as the content of their inquiry to Dish Network about Setanta Sports USA Channel:

19. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Jersey City
    I was able to watch in full screen. I've never been able to get my TV and computer to line up exactly right so I was skeptical as to whether I would be able to do it. I'm not sure how you have yours set up but my TV basically just acts as an extension of my desktop so I just dragged Firefox over onto the TV. I then hit the play button on Setanta and then right clicked on the picture, chose zoom and then clicked full screen.

Right now I've only signed up for a one month subscription because I want to test the quality during the Prem games. If it's good then I'll switch to the annual subscription for the PPV bonus.

I have Comcast high speed, not the super fast extra priced version though.

20. HDSports

HDSports Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Here's the latest on the Premier League coverage for Canada:
    -one Saturday morning game on Rogers Sportsnet
    -one Sunday morning game on the Score
    - all others on Setanta Canada

Article below:

SETANTA TO LAUNCH EPL CHANNEL IN CANADA
    Tue, 31/07/2007 - 09:34

Setanta Sports will launch a Canadian soccer channel with extensive rights to live English Premier League in partnership with Rogers Communications.

Shane O'Rourke, president of Setanta's North American operation said it will be on the air in time for the start of the new season on August 11. The channel will show the bulk of Premier League content – a full Saturday schedule, plus Sunday and midweek matches.

Score Media acquired the Premier League right in Canada rights last year, but re-sold the package to Setanta, while keeping a Sunday morning game (Eastern time).

The third carrier of Premier League games in Canada will be Rogers Sportsnet, which has bought a Saturday morning game from Setanta.

21. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was doing a google search to find more info and I found a cached version of that page:

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cach...anta+on+dishnetwork&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=10&gl=us

That pull was from the 19th. But, notice even on the cached page, there is no info about how to subscribe next to it like the others. But I think that pretty much confirms that it'll be on 406 for $14.99/month. Now, we just need to know when we can order it.

22. SignGuyDino

SignGuyDino New Member

Aug 6, 2003
    Fletcher, NC
    OK, it's August 1st and it's not on.

OFF WITH THEIR HEADS! :p

23. Californiaspurs

Californiaspurs New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Santa Clara County
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Tarheel wrote:
    Good feedback, TH. How does it look directly on your computer? I watched their on-line feed, back when they didn't realize that it was available for free and it was pretty good back then but at that time only available in a small-ish window if I recall correctly.

Also, the most important question: will they allow us to watch games on delay?

This is crucial to me because for example the Sunderland v Spurs game is on at 4.30am or thereabouts Pacific Time and much as I love watching the Lilywhites live that's too effing early, so I'd like to watch it when I get my morning cup of tea a few hours later. Will they let me watch it then?

English footie is almost back and all is well with the world, if I can watch Setanta broadband's Prem games on demand.

---------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

"we don't care what the other teams say
    wot the hell do we care
    coz we only know that there's gonna be a show
    and that Tottenham Hotspur will be there!"

24. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Jersey City
    It looks a little bit better in the smaller window on my computer. You have two options for window size, 100% and 150%. The 150% looks like it's about 4 inches by 4 inches or so. You can set it to full screen though by right clicking on the screen and choosing zoom then full screen.

They do have games on demand that you can watch any time. I'm not sure how quickly they end up in their on demand section though. You'd have to email them about that. The Iraq v. Saudi Arabia Asian Cup final from Sunday is up in that section now.

25. Fsquid

Fsquid New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Charlotte, NC USA
    Setanta's North America president has said that it is a soft launch either today or tomorrow with it not showing up in the DISH Computers until the 6th for their customer service reps.