Setanta Megathread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by kevruth, Jun 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevruth

kevruth Member

May 30, 2001
    Perrysburg, Ohio, US
    I thought I'd email Setanta and find out if Dish Network was going to carry the Setanta Sports channel. Here's the response I got back:

We have offered Setanta Sports to Dish Network but to date they have not chosen to sign up with us-- this hopefully will change in the future.. In the meantime please feel free to call or email Dish Network and express an interest to having Setanta Sports available in your home.

So for those of us with Dish Network it is time to bombard them with email and phone calls to get them to add it.

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom New Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Chicago
    Re: Setanta Channel and Dish Network

Is there a specific email address we should be writing to?

3. kevruth

kevruth Member

May 30, 2001
    Perrysburg, Ohio, US

I just went to the www.dishnetwork.com website and when to Customer Care>Contact Us and filled out the form.

I told them that the DirecTV soccer community raved about it and, if they didn't add it soon, they'd be losing me and others to DirecTV. I hope they listen.

4. kevruth

kevruth Member

May 30, 2001
    Perrysburg, Ohio, US

Well, here's the response I got back from Dish Network. Seems liked a pretty canned response. Anyway, here is what it said:

Thank you for your e-mail. Specific information regarding your request for Setanta is not currently available. We would like to add that channel, to make viewers like you happy, but we do not know if or when this will happen. We will gladly forward your request to our Programming Department for further consideration.
    We thank you for your input as we continually review our options in order to provide a compelling lineup for our viewers. Please stay tuned for consumer Charlie Chats that are broadcast monthly on Channel 101 or logon to our website for future programming announcements.

Maybe I'll get something back from the Programming Department, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

5. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom New Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Chicago

Thanks Kev! I appreciate it!

6. sgraham322

sgraham322 New Member

Mar 26, 2004
    Flagstaff, AZ

I have emailed the customer service dept at least 5 times on this matter,
    and have not even received a single response. That enough has made
    me really consider making the move to DirecTV.

Scott

7. kstuart

kstuart Member

Jul 13, 1999
    Northern California

I'm a big English soccer fan (I watch Sky Sports News every day), yet there is not enough on the channel to justify $12 per month.

Frankly, I find that all soccer TV in the US is way overpriced. All the PPV prices are ridiculous.

Compare:

- HBO $13.99 per month for 10 channels, including a constant stream of excellent original series that HBO pays all costs to create.

- Setanta $12 per month for 1 channel of minor league football broadcasts, for which there are no additional production costs at all - they are already shown in the UK by Sky at no additional cost to their subscribers.

I won't even start talking about $25 PPV events that are free in Canada...

8. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000

The easy way to explain this is that America is a filthy rich country. People here have disposable income to waste on sporting events. The diehard expat fans are worse. They are willing to mortgage their houses or sell their children to watch their teams. So what's $12/month or $25/game to them?

Peanuts.

Want lots of soccer game on non-PPV channels? Try the 3rd world countries in Asia. There, you get all the PPV games on simply regular cable channels. A PPV for U.S. $25 is unheard of. Heck, $25 is more than one month's worth of cable fee. But of course, you'll make 1/4 there of what you are making here...

As for the games already shown on Sky, the rights of those games are limited to the U.K. The rights for America, or even Canada, are totally different stories. Adding the satellite transmission cost, showing games on Sky on American TV is not a zero-cost operation.

9. backheelflick

backheelflick New Member

Dec 23, 2004
    York, Pennsylvania

I have two letters for you Setanta: BT. Its availabe for all your live programs except the irish sports. You know where to shove it. $12--HAHAHAHAHAAHA

**waits to be bashed by Chandu and co yet again**

10. kevruth

kevruth Member

May 30, 2001
    Perrysburg, Ohio, US

You know, guys, this was meant as an information thread for Dish Network customers interested in subscribing to Setanta Sports.

Personally, I don't care if you don't want to pay Setanta one dime. I'm really sick of everyone thinking they should get something for free. As for your analogy of HBO has 10 channels for that price, obviously you are too young to remember when that same price got you one HBO channel or one Showtime channel.

If you've got a complaint about Setanta's pricing then put it in one of the other Setanta-bashing threads where it belongs.

11. backheelflick

backheelflick New Member

Dec 23, 2004
    York, Pennsylvania

sorry about that kevruth. I extend my apologies.

12. kevruth

kevruth Member

May 30, 2001
    Perrysburg, Ohio, US

Apology accepted. Thanks for that.

13. kstuart

kstuart Member

Jul 13, 1999
    Northern California

I remember when there were only 3 channels of TV period. So What? What has that have to do with today?

There is an amazing tendency these days, for people to assume things from a couple of lines of text (this is usually termed "projection").

Where did anyone say they wanted the matches for free?

Saying something is overpriced is not the same as saying that it should be free!

14. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, other than the questionable legality of what you're doing with BitTorrent, there's also the issue of watching the games in a timely fashion on my big screen TV. For me, the convenience of getting the games over the satellite is worth the $12. For others, it may not be.

I won't deny that I've used BT a lot to get things that simply weren't available in the US to me by any means, but when it is available (even at a small fee) I tend to opt with the convenience of the traditional distribution method.

15. jammybastard

jammybastard Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Flyoverland

I shelled out for PPV this past season. During the coming season I will go with BT.
    The PPV feed from ITN/FSC is heavily compressed, offers no pre/mid/post game, has mono audio, and is very expensive.

The quality between the PPV and the WS Xvid files I get via BT are indistinguishable.

I d/l the file, burn it to a CD-R/DVD-R and watch it on my HD set.
    Looks great, and I get Martin Tyler/Andy Gray as well as Lineker/Hansen.
    Doesn't get any better than that.

When they deliver a quality product I will pay, until then I'll d/l MOTD and catch up that way.

16. paris1129

paris1129 Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

When I spoke to a dishnet rep on the phone this weekend, I requested that dishnet look into carrying setanta sports, and she said that they have a list on their computer systems that they input these customer requests, and she put it in there. She said she would ask her supervisor about it this week and would email me if she heard anything. She said that getting on the list usually helps, as she said that many customers also call in about oxygen, as they dont currently carry that but are looking into it from all the requests. So call in guys and request setanta sports on dishnet!!

Also, could someone give me a crash course on what BT is?

17. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How long does it take you to get a game downloaded and burned? Especially if you are trying to get multiple games in the same weekend close to the time they were played?

I found that by doing this I ended up watching the games 1-2 days tape delayed. At which point, it's simpler to just wait for the re-broadcast of the EPL games on FSC.

I got the PPV last year but this year I'm opting out of it. It's gotten too expensive for my preference when I can catch the games later in the week and spend a third as much money to get Setanta and watch what they have to offer.

18. jammybastard

jammybastard Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Flyoverland

You're right, it takes a day or two and that's why I never download whole games.
    I download Match of the Day. That has it all when it comes to the EPL.

19. BahamaTom

BahamaTom New Member

Apr 7, 2005

JB?....Would you have the time to detail a more explanatory post for the unenlightened and uneducated.What is BT? ...This is very interesting and I`m keen to learn more.I pay a lot for my PPV games so if you are saying theres another way I`m sure you`d be helping a lot of people.What is needed and dont forget that you`ll be explaining to the uninitiated.Hope its not asking too much of you.Thanks.

20. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000

If you want, you can even get the game quasi-live thru' Coolstream (BT's streaming brother). Quasi-live means it's live saved the buffering.

On weekends, if the game is popular (say, Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea, etc.), you can BT the whole game in less than an hour (when there are 50+ peers and you are downloading at a rate of 100+ Kbps). The torrent is usually out 20-30 minutes after the final whistle.

For the Champions League semi-final 2nd leg, I BTed both games (in full) in less than 45 minutes since I was travelling. That's the kind of speed we are talking about. The "you need 1 day to download a game" is a myth really meant for games that only has 2 peers...

BT is no longer the 2-3 day delay option. It's more like 2-3 hours delay option. Even when I tape the game from Rogers SportsNet, I rarely watch the EPL on Saturday morning, more like afternoon and evening...

21. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000

BT is the new way of peer-to-peer download. It's much superior to Grokster, Morpheus, Kazaa. You can get a ball game in 45-60 minutes with a broadband connection.

Check out these two threads:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108499&page=1&pp=15

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134348

22. Cantona

Cantona Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Texas/Luton/Manc
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

tomorrow im getting directv installed... why.?????????? well im tired of having some european wcq being shown on directv and not dish.. now with setanta showing the champions league.. and their high def rec package and istallation for 4rooms is about the same as a independent hi def rec w/dish... its a no brainer... i loved dish for RAI but now witn Goltv there is no comparison.. im with directv combined with expressvue.. i have more footy than can actually watch...

dish should recognize their core expat customers...
    bye bye....

Cantona-------------

23. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston

since directv has setanta for all the champions league matches, you might not even need expressvu anymore. pretty much everything i watched on TSN, SportsNet, and FSWC are all replicated on Setanta, ESPN2, FSC, and GolTV

24. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000

Depends on what he wants to watch. These are the games on EVU that aren't on DirecTV.

- les Bleus as well as la Championnat on TV5 Quebec; these games are only on Dish Network's TV5 USA.
    - FSWC's 2nd Bundesliga game
    - TeleLatino's Serie A coverage (4 games/MD) is more than GolTV's coverage
    - TLN's Champions League coverage (Spanish/Italian teams) that Setanta USA (English/Scottish teams) aren't interested in
    - Saturday's EPL 10:00 ET game on SportsNet, instead of on PPV in America.
    - TSN's Champions League weekly

Do these games justify the need of an ExpressVu over DirecTV? probably not, but the price of Canadian DBS does. If nothing else, the Saturday PPV game cost about $130 in the U.S. alone.

NFL Sunday Ticket on EVU/*C is also a bargain on EVU/*C.

What I really want to know is whether Setanta USA's + TSN's + TLN's Champions League coverage can match ESPN Latin America's.

25. Cantona

Cantona Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Texas/Luton/Manc
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

exactly.. the saturday ppv games and coronation street are worth it to me...

Cantona------