Set Piece Taker

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by amaranto, Dec 26, 2005.

1. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Who is the best female set-piece taker in the world? I'm not asking the question with a certain answer in mind. I truly don't know. I was just thinking about it. Thanks.

2. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    I would go for Mia Hamm!.

3. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    She and Sun Wen were up there, but they've both retired. Who now? Is Sissi still active for Brazil?

4. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Sissi and Sun Wen were the ones that came to mind for me also.

5. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    concerning Sissi she is also retired as far as the present is. haven't seen her around for some time. she is too old to make a possible come back, but who know's.

6. full_of_grace

full_of_grace New Member

Jul 10, 2003
    Philadelphia
  7. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    There is one from Norway who take's the set pieces those name I can't make out. she is very good indeed! if anyone on the boards know's her name please post it, I will apprciate it very much. Also Shannon Macmillan she is still on the players pool. at the present her future seem to me a little uncertain, she have been selected for 2 of the 8 games played this year and is not in camp at the present.

8. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    For direct kicks, I'll say Maribel Dominguez. For corners, I'll take anyone passing to Abby. Of course, I haven't actually seen most international players play lately. :mad: Just going off old WUSA memories from years ago.

9. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hege Riise, although she is also retired from her national team. I have a difficult time thinking of anyone that is really good who hasn't retired or seemingly not in favor with their current national coach...

10. PSoccer

PSoccer New Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Kelly Smith

11. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    If you can get hold of some tapes of the Norway games dueing the UEFA tournament 05. you maybe able get a clue as to what her name happen's to be, from the commentary of the commentator.

12. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    Maybe Ingrid Stensland?

13. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    Renate Lingor the Germany midfielder. she is almost up there with some of the greats.

14. hagabo_i_exil

hagabo_i_exil Member

Apr 27, 2004
    london
    Club:
    Umeå IK
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Isn't it Ingvild Stensland?

BTW Anne Mäkinen is my favourite as well with Lingor as close second.

15. Woody-99

Woody-99 Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Germany
    I guess I have to watch Mäkinen play once more after she has been already mentioned two times.
    I always thought of her as more physical than technical?!?

16. hagabo_i_exil

hagabo_i_exil Member

Apr 27, 2004
    london
    Club:
    Umeå IK
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Don't get her confused with rallye driver Tommi Mäkinen. :)

Actually, her free kicks and general long ball accuracy was a key part in Umeå IK winning the Swedish Championship. They say she did well in the Finland WNT as well, but I have to admit I was too horrified at the performance of Sweden NT during the Euros to even notice how other teams were doing.

17. begtodiffer

begtodiffer New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Renate Lingor for certain. Although Conny Pohlers looked good (most times) during Euro 2005.

For the Swedes: Malin Andersson.