Seriously, now. Which clubs should go down?

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by Catfish, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I know there are bad clubs, according to talent, but which ones really should get religated ie. Sunderland last year.

I'm talking a mainstay Premiership club. Not Man Utd, people....it won't happen...EVER. We all know it. They will always buy a shot at the title or at least the CL.

2. SuperElf

SuperElf Member

Jul 16, 1999
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, then rephrase the question to "Which club is likely to go down?" We all know Chelsea SHOULD go down, because it would be the funniest thin ever.

Also, I don't understand your question. Do you want answers like Wolves, or answers like Spurs? You ask "which ones really should get relegated", and then you insist on a "mainstay Premiership club". I don't think those two sets really overlap.

3. RobB

RobB New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Birmingham
    There are about 13 teams that could realisticaly get relegated. It depends on a few key teams. If Portsmouth start to the season is anythig to go by and Leicesters 4-0 against Leeds is a sign of things to come from them, it blows the whole relegation battle wide open.

4. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Tottenham might go down if they wait too long to sack Hoddle.

5. CrazyDCFan

CrazyDCFan Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Henan, China
    Down will be: Leeds, Wolves, and Tottenham.

6. Bravehart3

Bravehart3 Member

Sep 15, 2003
    Mississippi
    even though I love Doritos, the Wolves will be one of the teams to go down.
    The way Leeds U played they deserve it and the third I'll say the homeless Fulham.

mmmmmmmmmm Doritos

7. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    These were the answers I was looking for...image if NUFC got relegated! I'm going with Wolves for sure...and you fellas are right that too many matches with too many average clubs to decide now. Poor Leeds and Tottenham...they are Premiership mainstays...and proud clubs IMHO.

8. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    [​IMG]

9. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Dude...

relax! NUFC will turn their sinking ship around. I'm a huge Sir Bobby Robson fan. I love their crest, kits, Sherer, Given, and St. James Park!

10. soccerchick584

soccerchick584 New Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Tennessee
    Wolves will definitely (unless there's some kind of miracle turnaround for them) be relegated. But I want Chelsea or Tottenham, just because I find them both annoying.

11. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    So the new criteria is "I find my rival (London) clubs annoying so they should go down"? Oh, that makes sense. Don't look now but Arsene's boys are down 3-0 at home to Inter at the half. Maybe they will go down. Well, they certainly won't get too far in the CL. They are Arsenal, after all.

12. Peoria FC

Peoria FC Member

Feb 22, 2001
    NYC
    Wolves, Leeds and Boro are my guesses at this rate.

13. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC

Yes. Thats about right. Leeds and Boro at least have the luxury of decent players. Wolves are poo. If McLaran and Reid manage to get their team playing they'll be okay. I think Leicester might be drawn into it too, but then they have a decent manager.

Lets come back to this subject in a month.

14. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Wolves are basically a lock to get relegated at this point, and Leeds, Spurs, Boro, Leicester, and Villa all seem like decent candidates to join them. Charlton always seem to end up midtable, and Bolton have had a knack these past few seasons for snatching survival from the jaws of a certain drop, so I would highly doubt either of those two would go down.

As for Newcastle, while I'm sure the Toon will eventually turn it around, it wouldn't be unheard of for them to bite the bullet. Don't ever think that a club is too big to go down - who would have guessed five years ago that Atletico Madrid, a club comparable in size and stature to (and wealthier than) Newcastle, would get relegated? Or Saint-Etienne?

15. Re: Dude...

Not to bash anyone inparticular, but St. James Park is the most absurd looking ground i've ever seen, in it's current state.

Back in the days when it held some 38-40k (not sure) it was a smart ground, but now the one side and one end that are newer just look rediculous

16. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be funny is the Dallas Burn got relegated..................

...........oh wait, wrong board!!

:D

17. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    new castle at the bottom, but they can bounce back, i have nothing against the spurs, but they are just playing shiite.

18. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dropping Newcastle would be interesting, but sad. IMO they were just starting to add themselves back into the top teams. They looked like maybe turning England back to a four-horse race, but simultaneously, Liverpool started to fade a bit off the pace.

19. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    liverpool are coming back though, they have 11 in 6 or something, not bad. they get players like for 5, 6 million instead they should invest on a very good player. spend like 20 million?

20. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Newcastle is way too massive to go down IMO.

21. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    TIME WARP!

Spurs are way to massive to go down, IMO.

:D:(

22. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000
    Ah, NEVER say NEVER, people. :D

Anyway, I would say Middlesbrough easily. How the heck did they survive last season?! Why they keep insisting that Juninho is ALL THAT. He's not. The fans don't pack the place unless it's against Arsenal. Heck, Newcastle should as well own two grounds: their own and Boro's. And I'm not a Toon Army hoolie.

Aston Villa MUST GO DOWN. Their chairman doesn't care about the fans. There's a revolt being started by several fans over there due to the club's misfortunes. This is clearly not the same club that was competitive in the '80s. It's the club others like to take their frustrations on when they can't beat Manure and Arsenal. Heck, BCFC beat them twice last season. That should tell you something.

23. dan dudley

dan dudley BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 12, 2003
    usa
    Tottenham

somebody needs to put them out of their misery it would do them a favor

5 to 0 against Chelsea

24. Fireball_Dan

Fireball_Dan New Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Palos Park, IL
    If Wolves keep playing the way they are at the moment, they will. I REALLY do not want that to happen because the Molineux faithful will undoubtedly moan and groan throughout the next campaign. Wolves need to learn from their mistakes and not just go out there like zombies week after week.

25. Brett_PFC

Brett_PFC New Member

Oct 2, 2003
    Around the Corner
    Wolves look doomed unless they strengthen in January !

And incidentally no club is ever too big too go down - take West Ham from last year for instance !