Serie A: vs. Bari, Stadio Giuseppe Meazza (R)

Discussion in 'Inter Milan' started by marakana11, Sep 21, 2010.

1. marakana11

marakana11 Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Cali
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    We are getting into the thick of the season with fixtures starting to pile up all of a sudden. We are getting back to midweek games, and that is when you know the season has truly started. We have changed the team dynamic and the past performance versus Palermo was the first time we looked like a team under Benitez. He made a couple of adjustments and Stankovic looked like the pick of the bunch as most people thought he couldn't function as the top of the diamond.

I analyzed his first 15 minutes on DVR and while I am biased, as I like the player, he really didn't put a foot wrong. The passing was really immaculate as he didn't give up the ball once in the opening half and his experience really showed. The movement was a particular highlight as he knew when to check in or check out of space according to the situation. That is the mark of a really good player in my opinion. He isn't the quickest, but in Italy movement is much more critical to a good performance.

Pandev also seemed back to his best coming inside and turning his marker, as well as switching often with Stankovic when he would show to Maicon. This was very encouraging to see as most Inter fans thought we would struggle at the Stadio Renzo Barbera. Another positive was the return of Javier Zanetti to defensive midfield which paid dividends as his partnership with Esteban Cambiasso allowed Stankovic to be much more offensive. I was proved wrong, as I thought he wasn't quick enough to fill that role, but it seems like in Italy he can handle the slower tempo. Thus I hope we continue in this manner, while in Europe Rafa has some different ideas as our lack of central midfield speed might get exposed against quicker teams like Tottenham.

In Bari we have a pretty serious opponent who went from strength to strength last season. This year they have started off fairly well, but will not have the defensive pairing which led them last season. Bonucci went to Juventus, while Ranocchia signed for Inter and is on loan at Genoa. Therefore they have adjusted defensively.

As far as Inter is concerned, Sneijder returns to the fold after some much needed rest, but Javier Zanetti receives a week off after a great performance versus Palermo in which he received a knock to the abdominal part of his body. It's good to see the club responding positively towards our captain. Considering he is now 36, he can't play every game, but he almost does, which is a true testament to his endurance and loyalty to the Nerazurri.

Here is the squad for the match:

Goalkeepers: 1 Julio Cesar, 12 Luca Castellazzi, 21 Paolo Orlandoni.

Defenders: 2 Ivan Cordoba, 6 Lucio, 13 Maicon, 23 Marco Materazzi, 25 Walter Samuel, 26 Cristian Chivu, 39 Davide Santon.

Midfielders: 5 Dejan Stankovic, 10 Wesley Sneijder, 11 Sulley Muntari, 17 MacDonald Mariga, 19 Esteban Cambiasso, 20 Joel Obi, 29 Coutinho.

Strikers: 9 Samuel Eto'o, 22 Diego Milito, 27 Goran Pandev, 88 Jonathan Biabiany.

I personally would like to see the same formation we used against Palermo, with Stankovic filling Zanetti's holding role, and Sneijder coming into the top of the diamond, if you can call it that. Thus Wesley would be playing where Deki played this past weekend.

-----------------Julio Cesar-----------------
    Maicon------Lucio--------Samuel-------Chivu
    -------Stankovic---------Cambiasso---------
    Pandev-----------Sneijder---------------Eto'o
    -------------------Milito---------------------

I am unsure whether to change the system as Eto'o has been on fire the past 3 games when coming into a more central role. Seeing as we created a ton of chances in the first half versus Palermo I would stick with it. Milito needs to be given a little bit more time, as he has to find his feet with his finishing. We could have been 2-0 up at halftime last game had he put away some of his chances. If not, a 4-3-1-2 formation would also work as has been seen in the past 2 games.

I also wouldn't put it past Rafa to do some squad rotation as he was known for this during his time at Liverpool. I could clearly understand that as on the weekend we are away to Rome. I woulnd't mind seeing Coutinho or Biabiany start instead of Pandev, as well as Davide Santon starting instead of Christian Chivu. Lastly I wouldn't mind Cordoba starting in front of Lucio or Samuel. But we do need some continuity to start putting a squad and a good run together.

On the Bari side of things expect this squad, according to Football Italia:

----------------Gillet-------------------
    Raggi-----Rossi--------Masiello-----Parisi
    Alvarez-----Donati---Almiron-----Ghezzal
    ---------Barreto-------Kutuzov
    ----------

Overall this is a squad with plenty of Serie A experience. In Andrea Raggi comes a much traveled defensive minded player who can play anywhere across the backline. He gave Fiorentina problems last season when he played there for Bologna. He is very sound defensively and it will be somewhat tough for Eto'o to get past him, however he isn't the quickest so that is a potential weakness the Cameroonian could exploit.

In midfield there are a couple of real Serie A veterans with Almirion and Donati. Almirion stood out for Empoli before sealing a move to Juventus three seasons ago, which didn't really work out. Donati has played for both Milan and Celtic and understands what it takes to play in these sort of matches. Alvarez, the former Roma wide midfielder is pretty quick, and whoever comes up against him will have a challenge. I would really like for Santon to come in and show a good performance against quite a tricky player. He gave us problems last year in the away fixture.

Up front Barreto is also a very experienced Serie A performer, who led the Bari side with goals scored last season. There were talks of a move to a better side but ultimately he stayed with his side. He is quite a tricky player and knows how to finish. Kutuzov on the other hand is a little bit more physical but he has played in the Serie A for almost a decade now having made his debut with BBilan in 2001. He was the player who equalized against us last season in the San Siro, thus he has the capacity to finish against top sides.

All in all it will be a tricky fixture, but considering that their defense has gotten a bit weaker I think we will be able to exploit their central defensive pairing if not the fullbacks. We have to be careful of the counter as their midfielders are pretty good for a club of their stature. It will be interesting to see how Rafa rotates, and how we respond after such a good performance at Palermo.

2. bibonzo

bibonzo New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Croatia
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Very good match thread again, if you have time it would be very good if you can open every match thread in this fashion.

Well so far we did good against teams that are in real bad shape(Roma, Palermo) and struggled against those that were in some form(Athletico, Twente).

Rafa and the team need to show quality in this game. I personally want improvement in our back line as we got away with a lot in the last game. Bari is a team that wins rarely but they also lose rarely. It will be interesting to see how it goes. Your posted line up is also my favorite for this game and I hope Rafa will play them. 3 points are a must for confidence since 2 real nasty games follow, Roma and Werder.

3. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anyone remember if EmanuelRivas plays on the right or on the left?

they brought in a good forward:
    Barreto

4. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Oh hell YEAAAAH!

I can't think of anyone in the world playing better than Eto'o is right now. That cross to Milito was fantastic. He's shredding Bari right now.

And Maicon should have put that last beautiful cross from Eto'o away.

Looking good after a shaky start...

5. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    missed 1st 30 minutes,
    someone fill me in

6. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol thx dude, read my mind

7. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    1-nil to Inter, 35th minute.

Eto'o had two spectacular runs resulting in two perfect crosses. Milito put the first one away, and Maicon should have bagged the second, but he mucked it up.

Walter Samuel had to be subbed out with what looked like a shoulder injury (I think). Cordoba on for him.

8. futbolmad

futbolmad New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    In fact the second cross seemed easier to put away! Maybe easier said, LOL

9. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so far im liking what im seeing

we create on the right, on the left, in the middle

but sometimes we lose composure........

bari hasnt made an attempt to comeback,
    how was bari in the 1st part?

10. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    another confidence booster for eto, he deserves it
    2-0

keep an eye out for rivas....

11. futbolmad

futbolmad New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    I was really scared of the PK. That has not been one of Samu's stronger points. He did a marvelous job of it though. I hope that that one puts the game to rest...

12. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Eto'ooooooooo! Man I'm glad he converted that penalty. He deserved that one. And what an incredibly dumb handball by Bari. Thanks for that. :D

Bari came out in the first half like they were determined to surprise Inter. They really controlled the first 8 or 9 minutes. Not sure if our guys were just slow starting or were unsure of what to expect out of Bari and got off on the wrong foot.

13. bibonzo

bibonzo New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Croatia
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Bari got raped.:D First time this season I'm almost satisfied.

14. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lucio sold that one very well

eto with another goal

3-0
    this is pretty much over

15. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dam 1st samuel now lucio........

16. futbolmad

futbolmad New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Whether one agrees with the PK decision or not, we were clearly the dominant side and the end always seemed in sight for Bari. Regardless, Eto'o leaves to a deserved standing ovation.

17. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yeah that was a cheap one.

And definitely the best we've played offensively this year.

Jeez! Muntari comes on and gets blasted in the face! Welcome to the party Sulley.

18. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im not saying we dont deserve to win, im saying there wasnt anything there
    i dont sugar coat it,

lol at muntari, atleast he used his head this time......

19. futbolmad

futbolmad New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Outrageously funny!!

20. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Pandev's really had a solid match. If he can continue to be strong on the right, it will mitigate the impact of Millito's struggles and give Inter time to get him back on form.

I thought the back 4 was doing a much better job at keeping their shape in the last half of the first half. Got a little ragged in spots in the middle of the second. It's odd to see when it seemed like absolutely nothing could get the backs out of position last year.

And I still laugh every time I see Coutinho. He looks like a baby out there.

22. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MILITO!!!!!!!!!!

coutinho for the assist, credit to him

23. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    There's Il Principe!!! 4-0!!!

Terrific pass from Coutinho.

24. bibonzo

bibonzo New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Croatia
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
  25. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he actually was decent-reliable from what i saw today

had a good inside pass to milito, covered well, didnt go wacko over a foul:rolleyes:
    he actually deserves a pat in the back:p