Serie A Dates Revealed

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Matteo4Azzurri, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Matteo4Azzurri

Sep 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    From channel 4:

The Lega Calcio has released the schedule for Serie A next term – and there’s bad news for Roberto Donadoni and the Azzurri.

The FIGC had originally asked for the campaign to begin on August 19 to help the Italy squad to prepare for the crucial Euro 2008 qualifiers against France on September 8 and Ukraine on September 12.

However, Donadoni and Co’s request fell on deaf ears and it has been decided that the big kick-off will be on August 26 instead.

There will also be no midweek rounds between the end of October and the end of February, as asked for by the Italian Players’ Association.

The Italian Super Cup Final between Scudetto winners Inter and Coppa Italia holders Roma will be played at the Stadio Meazza on August 19.

Serie A kick-off
    August 26, 2007

Midweek rounds
    September 26, 2007
    October 31, 2007
    February 27, 2008
    March 19, 2008

Breaks
    September 9, 2007 - Euro 2008 qualifier
    October 14, 2007 - Euro 2008 qualifier
    November 18, 2007 - Euro 2008 qualifier
    December 30, 2007 - Winter break
    January 6, 2008 - Winter break

Season end
    May 18, 2008

2. belizondo

belizondo New Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Where can I find the exact dates and times of upcoming matches in Italy? I'm heading to Italy in Oct 2007 and would like to catch any match that might be happening. ( Oct 1-6th Rome, Oct 7-10th Almalfi, Oct 11 -17th Venice )

Thanks for your help - Brandon

The Lega Calcio has released the schedule for Serie A next term – and there’s bad news for Roberto Donadoni and the Azzurri.

The FIGC had originally asked for the campaign to begin on August 19 to help the Italy squad to prepare for the crucial Euro 2008 qualifiers against France on September 8 and Ukraine on September 12.

However, Donadoni and Co’s request fell on deaf ears and it has been decided that the big kick-off will be on August 26 instead.

There will also be no midweek rounds between the end of October and the end of February, as asked for by the Italian Players’ Association.

The Italian Super Cup Final between Scudetto winners Inter and Coppa Italia holders Roma will be played at the Stadio Meazza on August 19.

Serie A kick-off
    August 26, 2007

Midweek rounds
    September 26, 2007
    October 31, 2007
    February 27, 2008
    March 19, 2008

Breaks
    September 9, 2007 - Euro 2008 qualifier
    October 14, 2007 - Euro 2008 qualifier
    November 18, 2007 - Euro 2008 qualifier
    December 30, 2007 - Winter break
    January 6, 2008 - Winter break

Season end
    May 18, 2008[/quote]

3. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA
    This is not good. The Lega Calcio has absolutely no interest in the commitments of the national team, as is so noted.

What clowns, honestly. How on earth is Italy supposed to be prepared to face France with only two days worth of matches? Anyone know what date Ligue 1 is supposed to kick off?

4. L.G.S

L.G.S New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    England
    Do you know what Napoli's fixtures and dates are?

5. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    This is much ado over nothing. The league begins on 26 August, not when the players first start training. Prior to that, there will be preseason training and many friendlies played by the teams. Teams will start training in a few weeks. By the time the NT plays France, it will have two league games in along with all of the preseason training. There is also a friendly scheduled in August. If the players are not ready by the time they take on France, then they have no business playing in the EC.

6. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA
    You think that will be enough when we face France in San Siro? I hope you're 10000% correct.

We should be able to do well. If we gave France a hard time winning in Paris, when our league did not even begin, without several key players, after a World Cup hangover and the appointing of a new coach..... We should be able to give them a good slap this time around....

I'm just glad it's not in Naples.... That stadium is cursed.

7. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Let me ask you this, do you think that having the French league begin a week earlier is going to make that much of a difference? And where do their better players play? Some in Italy, others in England, Spain. Some of our players are abroad, so that should help in theory. The problem is that too much is being made about this as if to make an excuse for losing. So mentally, we come unprepared like we did last summer against Lithuania. Those two points hurt us the most. We can make up the points against France by winning the ritorno. I just wish Donadoni would quit whining about this.

8. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA
    Well, an actual team does appear to be forming now. When Italy originally faced France last year, there was nothing but 23 individual players and a really in-over-his-head Donadoni, while France had been relatively unchanged (except for Zidane's departure). I guess you're right, we should be ready by then.

But I cannot blame Donadoni for complaining. There is too much fixation on club interests and not enough on the Nazionale.