Sergino Dest Has Picked The USMNT

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Oct 28, 2019.

1. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its an interesting idea, but the problem i have is this- hes a kid.

im all for "if youre good enough youre old enough" and im all for sticking with kids as they take their lumps- but i think (the simplest comparison for us is to o'brien) asking an 18 yo to learn/master two positions, two entirely different roles is simply too much.

flipping him to the left is going to be more than enough for him to deal with- let him grow into one thing before we ask him to be two.

TOAzer repped this.
  2. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
  3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hoping this helps some other duals pick the US because they can see how much talent is in the pipeline and they all are friends and played together. Had Dest left it might have made others question whether the US is a good choice.

gogorath and TOAzer repped this.
  4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not the world's greatest expert...but to me, Dest is a) highly skilled but b) at this stage of his career, far more comfortable attacking when there's a lot of space in front of him. IOW, I don't think he's a fit as a wing forward in a 4-3-3. I think he'd be ideal in a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 as a wing mid. Him and Yedlin on the right side would be a real handful. Then we could play a very defensive LB and still have a solid attack.

I think the ideal tactic would probably be the 4-4-3 (no typo) that DC United ran in 2005 and 2006. Josh Gros played wide right and Freddy wide left. Without the ball, Gros played RB and the 3 defenders swung left to make a 4-4-2. With the ball, Gros played RW, and Freddy moved from LW to left forward to make it a 3-4-3. Christian Pulisic could play the Christian Gomez role. McKennie and Adams as high work rate, multi talented central mids fit too.

The only real adjustment would be that if Yedlin plays the Gros role and Dest the Freddy role, they're both righties. So it wouldn't be the EXACT same as both players would be on the right, rather than DC's tactic, where Gros was on the right and Freddy on the left.

DHC1 and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't be an idiot.

[​IMG]

6. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, here's the USMNT literally going down in flames...and we poor suckers are that kid about to be serious collateral damage. Behold! It's literally true that it is literally in literal flames!

[​IMG]

7. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Great to see a Josh Gros reference. I was a big fan of the original Sarge.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  8. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nice! Good choice for Dest.

I will buy a Dest US shirt and cheer for the US in 2022.

Well, together with the Netherlands.

American-Dutch FTW!

sXeWesley, RalleeMonkey and jnielsen repped this.
  9. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    There seems to be an unspoken assumption that Dest has to shift to left back (in the short-term) for Yedlin or Cannon. Why not have one of them shift to left back instead and have Dest start at right back?

sXeWesley and Marko72 repped this.
  10. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're missing the point entirely. If USSF does not start addressing its problems, missing Qatar 2026 becomes reality. That's significantly more important than worrying about my usage of the word "literally".

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fully expect us to miss Qatar 2026.

12. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    Because Dest would be better at it.

13. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    You are indeed "a naive and overly optimistic fool."
    Perhaps you are smoking too much of the good stuff with Elon?
    And in the long run we are all dead.

I keed. I keed.
    Sort of.

Happy Dest is on board. Love what he brings to the squad.

14. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dest has already played LB. Yedlin not so much. Not sure if Cannon has or not.

15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Positions in formations are notional: they don't specifyc roles.

Dest's role as wing-forward would be similar to that of Atlanta's Julian Gressel in Atlanta's 433 used in the win against Philadelphia. He played more of a two-way whereas Barco, opposite on the left wing, played like a wing-forward.

16. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Screw all this analysis, I'm just excited I can get back to watching Dest play in the CL and root for him again.

17. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Interesting. Who are you thinking would be the front three and who’s the player who would switch to defense when we move to 442 in defense?

18. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Pleasantly surprised by this news. Seems like we always lose out in these dual-national cases when someone still has a realistic shot of becoming a regular for a top 20 ranked nation (Rossi, Subotic, Gonzalez, etc).

Like others, I was so resigned to losing him that I wasn't even paying much attention to him professionally, but all of a sudden I'm really looking forward to potentially seeing three different American players starting in the knockout stages of the Champions League this season.

CyphaPSU repped this.
  19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd play 3 central defenders, but one would be very mobile. If Ream was 10% better, he'd be ideal for this role. Yedlin would be the RB in defense.

The midfield in defense would be Adams, Weston, CP, and Dest, who would play wide right. Probably CP would play wide left.

If I were the coach, the front 2 would be Sarge and Jozy.

In attack, Dest would join Sarge and Jozy as the front line, with CP playing as a wide playmaker.

Without ball

************Jozy************Sarge***********

CP******Adams*******McKennie******Dest

???*******Brooks*****Miazga******Yedlin (or whatever pair of CDs is better)

With ball

******Jozy*********Sarge*********Dest****

**********CP*********************************

***********Weston********Adams**Yedlin
    ^
    *****????*****Brooks*********Miazga*****

DHC1 repped this.
  20. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I’m quite intrigued but I don’t think Pulisic is well used as a defender in a 442. The energy he’s expend so be passable would take him out of where he’s most effective - running in space on a counter.

I’m thinking that Christian would be one of the 2 in the 442 but that’s not perfect either.

21. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This process felt a little like college football recruiting. Relieved he chose us--I like what he offers going forward in adding to the attack.

btlove, nbarbour and Paul Calixte repped this.
  22. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Indeed. I am of the considered opinion that our LB candidates suck, and that nobody has really staked a particularly strong claim to the RB slot. They should both very much be in play.

(What should be the most certain thing about the fullback spots, however, is that Lovitz should not be relied upon at LB against a team better than Cuba or thereabouts.)

largegarlic, glutton4Bolts and DHC1 repped this.
  23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://fansided.com/2019/10/31/sergino-dest-usmnt-world-cup-future/

To truly grasp just how big a victory this is for the USA it’s important to understand the context. Dest was born and raised in Amsterdam. He plays for Ajax, the most successful club in the country which just so happens to boast a proven track record in the production of soccer superstars. And the Netherlands are seen to be on the brink of another golden generation with the likes of Virgil Van Dijk, Matthijs de Ligt and Frenkie de Jong making them one of the favourites for next summer’s European Championships.

24. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Dest is okay....

That said, let me say, I’m over Dest at fullback. It’s not a left back or right back issues. It’s a Sergino Dest is not a national team fullback. With the emergence of a number of other fullbacks on this team, it’s time that we seriously consider “Kimmich-ing” or “Alaba-ing” him and move him to midfield.

He’s a great player but he’s an absolute liability on defense.

25. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    Emergence? I agree with the idea we need to massage Dest a bit more to minimize his weaknesses but exactly who are we playing at RB? We just saw option #2 get burned to Turkey and back - and provide 0 in the attack. So who are we playing at RB that isn't hurting us on the offensive end while also being better in defense than Dest?

sXeWesley and Eighteen Alpha repped this.