Sergino Dest Has Picked The USMNT

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    which do you prefer...

Option A:
    Dest——————-Yedlin/Cannon

Option B:
    Lovitz——————-Dest

/Case closed on why he should play on the left.

TxEx, manq360, UniversalAdvice and 2 others repped this.
  2. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s the Sorry-ball “system” from Berhalter. We mere mortals just don’t understand it.......

3. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Option C:

Fabian Johnson---------------Dest

If/when Fabian gets hurt, flip him to the left & start Yedlin/Cannon.

Eighteen Alpha, SCSAutism and Konut repped this.
  4. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, when is that not the case? I mean, I’m a big Fabian fan. If he can return to fitness and form then he’s about one of the geezers in the pool that I would be okay with sneaking into the squad. But, he’s about as arthritic as I am. And I’m not hopeful that he will ever contribute in the 2022 cycle.

Konut and gogorath repped this.
  5. Flipstar508

Flipstar508 Member+

Sep 7, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t know what GB problem is with A.Robinson but he needs to be starting at LB not Dest. I would use Dest as a RW to get him acclimated to CONCACAF but in qualifying I would use Yedlin on the road and Dest in home matches.

btlove and Patrick167 repped this.
  6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dest made the wrong choice. This program is literally going down in flames as we speak.

8. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Thank gawd we aren't asking him to be a player/coach!

jnielsen, xbhaskarx, btlove and 3 others repped this.
  9. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I am long run optimistic, by which I mean that (1) we have a new coach pre-WC and squeak in anyway by playing to our strengths, (2) Dest, CP, Sargent, Weah, Mckennie et al get WC experience, and (3) we make a run in 2026. Don’t burst my bubble.

jnielsen, DHC1 and TOAzer repped this.
  10. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I know people are just saying it to criticize Berhalter, but people do realize that it's not some accepted maxim to play your best national team players at their best positions and make do at other positions.

It's pretty fairly common to see national teams to play guys out of position and do so successfully. Sometimes it's because they have too much talent at a single position. Sometimes it's because they have no talent at a position.

You can't change your player pool; sometimes players need to be flexible. It's a balance, but if you have a bunch of right wingers and no left wingers ... someone's gotta flip.

11. Konut

Konut Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quoted for truth. If Fabian Johnson is healthy by next camp, I would bring him in, but injuries have been a problem his whole career so we can’t count on him. Dest is an auto starter for me, and we have Cannon and Lima, who have impressed me lately, fighting for a spot with FJ and Yedlin who are two wild cards at the moment. If all of them show well, I would even be open to having FJ or Dest play higher up the field. One thing is for certain... Lovitz’s time with NT has to be done.

TOAzer and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  12. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    I hate how national team choices are business decisions now a days....oh well I guess we win out on this one.

13. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I love how people just ignore what the player themselves say and reinforce their own prior worldview.

Psychology would tell you that the vast majority, if not all, decisions are made emotionally. Dest cited personal and emotional reasons.

Why do we question that?

14. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I think we'll be playing CONMEBOL teams a lot for the foreseeable future.

jnielsen repped this.
  15. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, teams do this. However, they are teams like Belgium, France, Brazil, and other countries with world-class depth at all positions. The US doesn't have that.

I'm not criticizing Berhalter for this just to criticize him. I'm criticizing him because he's not putting his players in the best position to win. Part of that is putting the program's best players in their highest-value positions.

When we are two-deep in just about every position with Top 4 league talent, then we can start talking about the USMNT playing Tyler Adams at right back. Until then, you play him as a defensive mid since he is one of the world's best young defensive midfielders.

manq360 and Patrick167 repped this.
  16. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    It's not just teams with talent everywhere. Teams without talent will also move guys to get the most overall talent on the pitch.

I'll take Dest and Yedlin/Cannon over Dest and Lovitz/Ream anyday.

TxEx, SCSAutism and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  17. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the main difference between Adams and Dest is that Dest is a role player and Adams is a key player. That doesn’t mean their quality is greater or worse, but that Adams is the kind of player that runs a team and Dest is the kind of player that makes that running more smoothly. In other words, we can get away with moving Dest from the right to the left. But we can’t get away from putting our most important player on the field in a less impactful position.

TOAzer repped this.
  18. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    better than Hack-a-Caf

19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Great news. Given his attacking qualities, Dest should slot into midfield.

Players are played where they can be most impactful. David Alaba plays in midfield for Austria. Bayern, on the other hand, have better mids and play higher up the field.

John O'brien played LB for Ajax, but played in midfield for the US where he could be most impactful for the team.

In the case of Adams, it would be extremely unusual to move the superior player from CM to RB. And right now, we don't have a single player remotely close to Adams at CM.

In the instance of Dest, we have an EPL starter at RB. Cannon has been excellent for the US and is certainly the defender at RB. Dest isn't an LB and looks a poor defender there.

RalleeMonkey and Patrick167 repped this.
  20. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [1] No. People criticizing Berhalter for this mistake are criticizing Behalter because of the mistake. Think, Gogorath.
    [2] That "successfully" part? That's essential, and that's what has essentially been missing from General Egg's forays into having his artillery lead the cavalry charge and his sappers command the recon forces. Think, Gogorath.

btlove and Patrick167 repped this.
  21. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

Before the decision was made, it was Players like Pulisic behind the scenes, that made a difference. But I know, this will be spun so that Gregg gets an extension to 2026!

22. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Option D.

Fabian Johnson/Dest/ Chandler -------------------Dest/Cannon/Yedlin/Chandler/Johnson

We have tons of talent, but dont tell Jay and the gang. Keep the Status Quo.

23. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    It was obvious to anyone familiar with your posting history.

24. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, we won't - WCQ in Conmebol starts in March and runs through every FIFA window in the next two years - outside of June 2020, when they're playing another Copa América.

jnielsen repped this.
  25. chrisdon72

chrisdon72 Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Yeah, I don't see how you put Lovitz on the field and leave an EPL player like Yedlin on the bench. Maybe for a game or two but that is it.

Eleven Bravo repped this.