Sergiño Dest

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by bsky22, Aug 2, 2019.

1. ardubois3

ardubois3 Member

May 20, 2015
    Very Dutch. Always striving for validation. Never accepting their place in the world. The mentality of a country, whose talent can never quite make up for its small size.

Very impressive people, the Dutch, but infected with a self-importance born of doubt, I think. But ultimately, a self-importance justified by individual merit.

I remember the homeless gentleman who lived outside my building in the Netherlands spoke nearly unaccented English, one of 4 languages in which he was fluent, and had a robust knowledge of current events. I always thought he was a good metaphor for the Dutch as a people.

2. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Let's hope that he's not injured on the temporary, and narrow, surface. That would get him thinking. Just playing on it might.

3. Even our homeless rock;)

mschofield, sXeWesley and SamsArmySam repped this.
  4. From what I have read now I conclude Dest hasnot told the truth to the Dutch media. According to what I understand vd Looi says he contacted Dest to have a talk, but due to loaded schedules this and last week there wasnot an opportunity to meet.

5. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's going to be tough to recruit a player like Dest though, playing crappy soccer, on a joke of the field.

Is that field the best they can do in St. Louis? I thought it was a soccer hotbed?

sXeWesley repped this.
  6. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the strangest, most whimsical and ultimately insightful post in big soccer history.

Hup Holland Hup!

Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  7. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why would Holland care if he'd flopped in games with the US? They see him play all the time and for a club that runs the same system they do.

8. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Holland hasn't shown much interest until very recently. A bad performance against higher level competition isn't going to increase interest.

mschofield repped this.
  9. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I see your point. I would disagree, and suggest he's playing at a much higher level week in, week out.

10. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it comes down to how much international ball he wants to play.

History shows that a lot more caps will be available for the USMNT than the NDL. He also probably has more earning potential as a US star as well. The main downside IMO is the travel.

I can see it going either way. As much as people talk about the Orange, they have won just as many World Cups as the US and only one more European championship,30 years ago.

11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    The travel is a big negative, agreed. Somewhat curiously, given the geography, I feel he might bond more strongly with the guys on our team, those his age and just a bit older. I think he might be (or simply sense that he's) more of an 'outsider' on the Dutch team.

Very much hope he chooses us, and I would love to see him do that now, confidently and enthusiastically, although I understand why he might choose to postpone that day of decision.

Pegasus, sXeWesley and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  12. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well we will know soon enough. Call him up for the two Nations League matches. If he says no then be done with him. If he says yes then get him on the field. But I see no reason to beat around the bush now. Decision time.

13. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No reason to rush the kid. We're looking for volunteers, not hostages.

superdave and btlove repped this.
  14. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no reason for him to not make a decision IF he is called into the Nations League camp. If he passes to see if an invite comes from the Dutch then that is all we need to know. Why should we continue to invest in him if his heart is elsewhere. Move on to the next guy. This is no way a slam on him or any other player. But if they are given the opportunity but pass then so be it.

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I suspect that an understanding has already been reached with the USMNT staff and Dest on those League of Nations matches. I don't know in which direction.

He's still only 18.
    We put enormous pressure on these kids when they're just teens to make these final decisions. There are a lot of factors in play here. If Sergino wants more time, all we can do is give him more time. NO reason to be pricks about it. One thing that would definitely push him to Holland is if we become pricks about it.

We've done the same to players in reverse. Gedion Zelalem is an example. He declined callups that would have permanently cap-tied himself to Germany until his US citizenship status was cemented. He wanted to leave doors open at that age. As it turned out he picked the US......................and then destroyed his ACL playing for the US U20s.

superdave, btlove and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  16. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok for those who don't think we should have Dest make a decision for Nations Cup. Just when do we? Do we keep calling him in until such time as the Dutch call him in or tell him he's not in their plans?

Is it fair to other kids in the program who are committed to the US but don't get looks because we continue to call in Dest for friendlies?

I get both sides but the comparison to the situation with Zelalem is the exact opposite to me. He declined Germany callups because he wanted to play for the US. If Dest declines a callup to the Nations League then its pretty apparent that he wants to play for the Dutch.

Nobody said anything about being "pricks' about it. Wish him well and look for other players.

17. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'd treat him like a guy who is hurt. Stay in touch with him and call him when he is ready. We don't start the Hex for almost a year, no rush IMO.

18. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Is it fair? Of course it is.

If they want to get called in, play better than Dest and any other eligible player.

superdave repped this.
  19. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    In possession, he looked really good against Uruguay.

TimB4Last repped this.
  20. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So easy to say and so wrong to believe.

1. Its much simpler for coaches to call in players they have used and are familiar with than a new player even if that new player may actually be in better form.

2. Sports are odd. There are players who rise to the occasion and players who don't. We have seen many players get up to the MNT and perform beyond what their league play would predict. Whether its the better players around them. better coaching. rising to the occasion, or a combination of things. And we have seen plenty of players who look lights out in their league but for whatever reason just fall way short at the national team.

3. There are just so limited spots and camps available that I just shy away from players who don't absolutely want to be there. Same discussion many are having on Ngabe.

Now to be very clear. I hope he sticks with the US. I like him and want to see him in our lineups. Now I would have no problem if he declined the next call up. I would keep in touch with him and keep an eye on him. But I would not call him in again until he said he was ready to commit. Not going to allocate camp spots to him until such time.

21. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Admirable job putting the best possible lip stick on that pig!

History shows the Netherlands is the best team never to win a World Cup, hands down. Starting for the Oranje will garner more interest from clubs, which despite endorsements is still where most players make their $. The main issue is a legitimate shot at glory, not travel.

I too can see it going either way. As much as some might like to dismiss the Oranje, they have 3 more world cup finals than we do, 5 more semi final appearances and the modern game, whether pressing or possession based styles, has it's basis in Total Football revolutionizing the game. They are among the top teams in world football, having won a world cup or not.

I am all for Dest choosing us, but lets be realistic about the choice he is actually making here.

22. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He is not going to lose any salary because of the US. If he shines at Ajax, he's going to get paid. As far as a club scout is concerned, he's a Dutch player. As far as marketers go, he can be American if he gets the results.

I honestly don't know that he's much more likely to win the WC with the Dutch than us in the next 10-12 years. The same few teams seem to pass the cup around. France and Spain are the only newcomers in my ~20 years of fandom. Maybe they can get another European championship.

23. Cynical US fan

United States
    Mar 30, 2017
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps with Pulisic, McKennie, a healthy Adams, Williams or Morales at DM, Dest would have someone to combine with. In addition, I don't expect Berhalter will use the players we do have wisely.
    Dest will end up playing for Holland. I don't blame him. Unfortunately, right now, in soccer or in general, the Netherlands is a much more welcoming country than the US.

24. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Netherlands is far more likely to win the World Cup than we are in the next 10-12 years considering they are a young team on the rise, much like France and Belgium before them and again they have consistently been in the mix, heck in your 20 years of being a fan you have seen them in a final and semi final. Also considering France won in 98, you would be fair to say Spain is the only new team to rise. Most importantly though we have no chance at all.

Anyway, this is not a hill I want to die on, but we are to the Netherlands as Curacao is to us at the big boy table.

25. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @sXeWesley Dest has to think that of he's one of the guys who would be on the field while they win.

That's asking a lot. Dutch need to win and Dest has to be a player on the field.