Sergiño Dest

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by bsky22, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Why?
    He's not going to be invited for the Orange team. If any it will be for the U21 team. So what's the fuzz about that GB would or could be inviting him for a Uxx US team?

2. #127 feyenoordsoccerfan, Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    Anyway. Just to show how little it takes to go from one source (Telegraaf) writing themselves, not quoting coaches, about Dest on the radar to "Koeman wants Dest" in one day:
    https://www.voetbal4u.com/2019/08/2...-dest-en-mohammed-ihattaren-bij-oranje-halen/
    This shit thread (actually all that kind of threads/sites are shit) is just rehashing the original article, but even manages to put on another layer of suck my what fantasy.

Edit: forgot an "episode".
    https://www.fcupdate.nl/voetbalnieuws/354978/van-de-looi-hoopt-op-ihattaren-en-dest-bij-jong-oranje/
    Form the own Telegraaf interpretation of "on the radar"etc. this thread ads the fantasy on that article:
    " Van de Looi hoopt op Ihattaren en Dest bij Jong Oranje"
    Van de Looij (coach of U21 Orange/Young Orange) hopes on Ihattaren and Dest with Young Orange.
    Suck my what?

Then another layer of bullshit gets added:
    https://www.voetbal4u.com/2019/08/2...-dest-en-mohammed-ihattaren-bij-oranje-halen/
    This shit thread (actually all that kind of threads/sites are shit) is just rehashing the original article, but even manages to put on another layer of suck my what fantasy.

3. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn't about Netherlands particularly,our current outside backs are so poor that Dest is in the Top 4 right now and it's negligent of Berhalter to consider him aU- anything player for the national team.

@bungadiri -sorry but this has to be said.move where you see fit.

4. That's what I find so strange that USMNT fans on Bigsoccer (dunno how he's being seen with non BS US fans) to look at him as a saviour while in reality he by the skin of his teeth got a contract after a Young Ajax spell with ups and downs and after a few minutes in not so challenging matches filling in for absent or injured players.
    If anything I would go after Sandler first.

5. Oh, wait. I forgot the U20 matches he played this year for the USA.

6. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    US fans on BigSoccer criticized him excessively during the U20 World Cup and advocated his benching for an LA Galaxy youth player with little professional experience. Now that he has seen the field for Ajax, they no longer believe their own eyes (for now).

WrmBrnr repped this.
  7. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who did that other than the usual pro MLS suspects?

USSoccerNova repped this.
  8. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I don't recall people wanting him benched, but you may be right. What I do recall is he was slow to start - he looked very bad on several occasions in the first game. Second game wasn't great either. After that he was very good and the vast majority saw it that way.

9. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It was more the pro-cap any dual national kid to get him provisionally cap tied. Since the kid in question was Araujo it was doubly so given the pain of losing Gonzalez.

10. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    I posted a review of the U20 World Cup tournament in which I claimed that the outside backs were the strength of the US team. It was very clearly an opinion that ran counter to the prevailing sense at the time.

11. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I didn't get to see the early U20 games, but in the later games, whatever mistakes he made in the early games, he was clearly a top talent. Yeah, he's quick and fast and dribbles really well, but he also has that thing the USMNT has had problems with - speed of thought.

FC Tallavana and russ repped this.
  12. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Link? Just because people disagreed with that opinion doesn't mean they didn't think Dest was subpar in the first couple of games and very good after that.

13. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he was justly criticized for arguably costing us the Ukraine game and thereafter the group, which put us on the wrong side of the bracket.

But he was justly praised for his much improved play as the tournament went on, including for the rocket shot that resulted in the winner against France.

Doesn't have to be either or.

nowherenova, DHC1, onefineesq and 5 others repped this.
  14. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
  15. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    twellman during usoc final says he expects to see dest called up tomorrow. sargent and miles robinson too

Marius Tresor and TimB4Last repped this.
  16. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    If Weah had been healthy, that's most of what I wanted.

Will Dest play at LB? Without Tyler Adams, probably won't get resolution on how CDM/RB plays out.

largegarlic repped this.
  18. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Im stoked to see Pomykal. He’s a nice player to have in the mix connecting the back 5 to the wings and forwards as well as winning the ball and initiating transition in the other teams half.

19. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what I remember. Dest was roundly and loudly criticized after Ukraine (I missed that game), particularly after he'd done so well at the CONCACAF Championship.

Then, he played better, and folks warmed back up, especially after the inexplicable and poor Qatar lineup (Mckenzie at RB, along with a litany of other head-scratching Ramos "rotations"), and he peaked against France, leading a sterling effort from the entire team in an excellent comeback.

Pegasus repped this.
  20. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, not much there, is what you're saying. He did play poorly against Ukraine. He did better against Nigeria. Mark Mckenzie inexplicably played RB against Qatar, and he was praised in the final 2 games.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Mario Balotelli and Marius Tresor repped this.
  21. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 hours to go. We'll see.

22. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I thought I was just saying this...

24. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    consensus after the tournament was that dest was clearly one of the best players on the team after having a bad moment early against ukraine

25. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy