No longer a Barça lounger: Sergiño Dest at PSV (olf FC Barcelona)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChuckMe92, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It's as if there were a massive Europe-wide conspiracy to deny Sergiño a chance.

Either that, or he's just not good enough. Which is unthinkable, of course.

2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Dest is obviously not at Milan/Barca "must play" level at the moment. But there are a few steps on the rung between there and obscurity...

ChicagoVT, gomichigan24, Bruce S and 3 others repped this.
  3. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Bayern somehow puts extra weight on Alphonse without slowing him down. Dest is more fragile. Maybe need to go to Bayern.

4. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dest is tiny

5. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No idea about the credibility of this tweet but if true, I’d be down with it……..

6. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    not too bad a of a place to land. Union appear to have their ishhhh together and if UB finish strong some champions league action would be nice

RunthePoint, gomichigan24 and freisland repped this.
  7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Union seems to be run quite well these days and in the few times I've watched seem to play a real 3-5-2 much of the time, which is good for Dest. I know a few of their wing middies are on the older side, but the guy from Celtic on the right is having a good year, from what I've noticed. Would be good for Dest to go someplace that will use him in a 5, if you ask me.

glutton4Bolts and TimB4Last repped this.
  8. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    On to Berlin - let the Grand Tour continue!

thedukeofsoccer and gomichigan24 repped this.
  9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    If he's an art and fashion fan he's doing it right...

10. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously a run of Amsterdam - Barcelona - Milan - Berlin is awesome. Each one of those places seem like wonderful homes.

superdave and TimB4Last repped this.
  11. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New York, London, Paris ... talking bout .....

Hobo and TimB4Last repped this.
  12. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah... they play with wingbacks a lot and are assured of playing in Europe next year. Seems like a great landing spot to me... especially if they can hang on to one of the CL slots. Currently 3rd and 4 points above RBL in 5th. Going to be rooting for them to finish strong for sure. Very happy with this move.... now it is time for Dest to take his game to the next level.

13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    And if you pick the right national team, you get Orlando and the Caribbean, where you can party with some pretty cool cats. Of course, you also get cities in the Artic North and the Central American sun, but if you time your absences well those can be avoided. Not such a bad life. :thumbsup:

14. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would he play on the left? They seem solid on their right side.

freisland repped this.
  15. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's likely depth, sadly. Expecting him to jump in as a starter at rightback on the third-place Bundesliga team is not realistic. I still believe he would be best served as a right winger rather than a rightback if he wants to maximize his potential as a top league player.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  16. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Transfermarkt lists 4 fullbacks on the roster. Juranovic is the only one earning a relatively large wage... and it is an older group of players.

upload_2023-4-27_9-29-25.png

IMO, I think Dest will get his opportunity to break into the starting 11. It will be up to him to prove he is a better option than these players. It seems like a capable group but they are hardly world-beaters. He just needs to prove he deserves a starting role. I am eager to see how he does.

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah - I think JJ is the ex-Celtic player who has looked pretty good when I've watched. There are more intent Union watchers who will know better. If Dest is destine for LWM it makes more sense, tho I think he's better on the right.

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Everybody's saying it's a loan. If Barcelona is still paying half his salary, Union won't have much of a push to give him a long chance. He's got to look good right away.

19. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Union Berlin is a good fit for Dest IMO. He'd play ad a wing backs and they tend to be patient with their players

20. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    He is collecting some nice coin in all of those locations also. Dest knows what he is doing.

21. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has a contract with Barcelona for 2 more years. He is basically blowing with the loaning wind. Hopefully he goes somewhere that he plays so he has a shot at a similar payday when this contract expires.

Gorky repped this.
  22. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you find wage info elsewhere? The numbers in that graphic aren't wages. It is definitely an older group of players, though.

glutton4Bolts repped this.
  23. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    glutton4Bolts repped this.
  24. ChicagoVT

ChicagoVT Member

United States
    Jun 26, 2019
    Oh yeah the conspiracy that led him to first team Ajax minutes and his transfer to Barcelona. He probably isn't what Barca is looking for now but let's not act like he was a failure there. Dest showed some growing pains like most young players do but he also had a lot of high points at Barca. He was forced out due to Xavi's preferences, not because he can't perform at a high level. His time a Milan has definitely been unfair. It's not a conspiracy against him other than he is a loan player and they don't need him or want to waste any time developing him. He just needs to find a good landing spot, which can be said for almost all players. To think he isn't good enough to thrive somewhere in a top 5 league is insane if you actually watch him play.

25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Was trying to figure out where I knew Roussillion from, and then saw he was Wolfs LB for much of JAB's tenure. Just joined Berlin in Jan. Giesslman is supposedly out of contract this summer. Don't know how real this loan rumor is anyway.