No longer a Barça lounger: Sergiño Dest at PSV (olf FC Barcelona)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChuckMe92, Oct 24, 2016.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    and Dest already has 2x the games and as many goals as Joey did in La Liga.

dumb one off comps are just sniping. Dest has some issues with his game, but if you don’t understand the requirements of a Barca or Milan vs. Hull circa 2010, you don’t understand pro footie.

superdave, gomichigan24 and Dervos repped this.
  2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    So he must fit their needs well and that's why he's starting.

3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Barring a complete internet/societal collapse, it will be possible to return to BS in a few years - and then we will know how it turns out.

Dest has already bested Altidore's stats in Spain and Italy, but it may be possible Sergino "fails" and ends his career with "only" an additional 170+ MLS apps, 70 EPL apps, 65+ Ered apps, a KVB cup, MLS cup, Supporters' Shield, a Gold Cup (and best XI) and 115 Sr. Caps, on top of his 52 La Liga apps and Serie A apps... That might be his top. I anticipate a bit better European adventure, but footie is a funny game. Time will tell.

gomichigan24 and Winoman repped this.
  4. Dervos

Dervos Member+

Mar 13, 2002
    Club:
    Austin Aztex

One Of These Things (Is Not Like The Others)
    One of these things is not like the others,
    One of these things just doesn't belong,
    Can you tell which thing is not like the others
    By the time I finish my song?

superdave and TimB4Last repped this.
  5. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Wait, that's my song!

Dervos repped this.
  6. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dest is having not the best year at AC Milan, but that doesn’t suddenly means he’s Jozy Altidore at Hull or that he’s become a bad player.

Winoman repped this.
  7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He's not good enough as a defender to be in those clubs, whatever positive he brings to the attack. He should have got an extended run and proper training to become a winger.

No one is doing it, Barcelona moved him around with no clear role from wing to wide forward to RM who knows why. So, since it seems he's stuck with the RB/RWB label, I don't see a future for him in a Top 5 league: strong teams want someone who's just better overall, weak teams are not going to play someone who lacks the fundamentals of defending.

Dest can make a solid career in a top team in a mid-level league like the Danish or the Belgian or even the Dutch one. Or one of the Old Firm teams in Scotland. Against weaker attacks, with the CBs and DMs taking care of the defensive needs, he can unleash the attacking beast he could have become as a winger. His individual technique is good.

8. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I disagree and don’t think he’s going to the Danish league. He very much has a future in a top 5 league and we’re going to see as much in the coming years.

The guy is 22 and is going to be fine despite the way this season has gone. It’s one thing to say he’s not good enough to play for Barcelona versus what you seem to think his level is.

9. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, he's closer to Nelson Semedo or Junior Firpo than Jordi Alba, Dani Alves. Certainly not Danish or Belgian league. I mean, those aren't world class players, but it's certainly solid careers in the Top 5 leagues.

10. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like Lille needs a fullback. I could see him doing well at a club at that level. Maybe higher. But not lower. He’s still a good player.

11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Or, of course, that Milan or Barca of the past 4 years are 2010 Hull in the EPL for a striker. The constant attempt at "all the teams/top 5 leagues are the same for comps sake across all years" is just silly.

Dest at Barca has much better stats than Jozy at Villareal at a similar age. And it means very little from an analytical standpoint.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another confirmation he's not staying at Milan:

The important stuff translated:

Milan will not execute the purchase option for Sergiño Dest.

13. Mt Stone@

Mt Stone@ Member

Apr 30, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Dest is plently good enough to be successful in the top 5-7 leagues... he's just finding it difficult to find himself the right place in the right system with the right coaching for him to reach his best potential.

I personally think he should head back to Holland for a couple seasons...he just needs to play, and play alot. I fear getting bounced around from one big club to the next without consistent playing time and a structured system and coach that believes in him is really going to hurt him if it continues for much longer.

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The Big 5 are divided between the Rich and the Poor.

The Rich want the top of the line, and if they're looking for a RB, Dest is not it.

The Poor need a RB that is mainly capable of defending. Again, Dest is not it.

So if he must stay as a RB, his options are limited to top clubs (that can afford him) in second-tier leagues. Clubs that can't quite afford the top of the line, and whose fullbacks are mainly used in attack since they rule their leagues.

Ajax, PSV, Porto, Benfica, if he's lucky. Celtic, Rangers, Copenhagen, Brugge if he's not.

15. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Top 5 leagues are not so black and white. There’s a wide variety of styles and what teams are looking for from a right back. It’s not just whether you have A or B quality. There’s plenty of teams in a top 5 league he’d fit into perfectly fine.

This is an overly simplistic and just outright bad take.

dark knight and ChicagoVT repped this.
  16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I should bookmark this. My "bad takes" have a better record than the "good takes."

While it's possible Dest will get a shot in a mid-table Top 5 club, it's going to be a repeat.

17. Mt Stone@

Mt Stone@ Member

Apr 30, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    If Tim Weah can play outside back in a top 5 league Dest should be able to find something. :D

ChicagoVT, Winoman and freisland repped this.
  18. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He needs to find whatever is the club version of the USMNT under Gregg Berhalter. A small/medium team with a manager who wants to possess/attack.

19. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ChicagoVT and Winoman repped this.
  20. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    Can Valencia afford him? ...would Barcelona subsidize a loan for another year just to get a tiny bit of "financial fair play" back?

21. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    Barcelona could negotiate an incentive laden transfer for Dest. He has loads of talent and if he can actually figure out the defensive portion of his responsibilities better, will be a huge pickup for nearly any club. This Milan loan was a big fail. He needed to come in a blow the doors off the place and didn't do that / get that opportunity. It is what it is. There will be plenty of sides interested once the silly season starts up.

22. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Kid looked rusty last night. He needs some PT somewhere. Hopefully he finds a good situation this summer.

23. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

When you're at a BIG club, and going on loan to another BIG club; it generally does not goes well.

russ repped this.
  24. ChicagoVT

ChicagoVT Member

United States
    Jun 26, 2019
    Dest is far from perfect but he has shown he can play at the biggest clubs. The overly pessimistic views of him while at Barca and Milan are overblown. He did OK to pretty good and has found himself in bad situations, mostly out of his control, where he will never be given a fair chance to play. He could have made it at Barca if Xavi gave him a chance. Same at AC Milan, the opportunity has been slim to almost non-existent. Plenty of teams in the top 5 leagues could definitely use him, he, like most players, just needs the right landing spot.

gomichigan24, Winoman and TimB4Last repped this.
  25. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still wish he'd picked Bayern over Barcelona but understand him picking his childhood fave. Does Bayern need a right back and would they still be interested? I have a feeling they will be changing a lot of players after this down season.