No longer a Barça lounger: Sergiño Dest at PSV (olf FC Barcelona)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChuckMe92, Oct 24, 2016.

1. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We won't know which player is better until after Araujo plays at a higher level. He was one of the best RBs in the MLS IMO. He defends very well and has great whip and accuracy on his crosses. If he brings that to the table at Barca then he will be loads better than Dest... who looks like he has lost all of his confidence.

2. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that true in terms of Araujo being one of the best MLS right backs. But if he had picked the US instead of Mexico, do you really think he would have been starting at the World Cup over Dest?

3. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. But again... because Dest has been playing in top flight Europe for a while and Araujo has not. I actually think Dest is one of the main reasons why Araujo picked Mexico despite some of the other "speak" you have heard from his camp. Either way... being the USMNTs "choice" at a position over another doesn't necessarily mean you are better than your counterpart.

4. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Well Milan has moved to a 3 man defense with wingbacks which in theory should benefit Dest... however that system change also very much benefits Saelemakers as well so Dest has fallen further down the pecking order.

In short if it wasn't obvious his option is not being picked up

5. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    No Dest today, and to make matters worse, Milan held on for a 0-1 victory. Disappointing.

6. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Not really. Araujo didn’t answer the call for Gold Cup but Moore did and went WC finally. At the start of WCQ, Dest was starting at left back and Yedlin at right back. So if Araujo committed, he may get the chance to start in some of the WCQ games.

7. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    They have publicly announced that

8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the bench:

Anna Italia
    @ItalianSerieA

Lineup AC MILAN (3-4-3): Maignan; Kalulu, Thiaw, Tomori; Messias, Tonali, Bennacer, Hernández; De Ketelaere, Giroud, Rebić.

Subs: Mirante, Tătărușanu; Ballo-Touré, Calabria, Dest, Florenzi, Kjær; Adli, Bakayoko, Pobega, Saelemaekers, Vranckx; Ibrahimović, Origi

Coach: Pioli

freisland and Marius Tresor repped this.
  10. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least he made it back to the game day squad

gomichigan24 and WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Dest DNP as Milan lose 2-1 - only spared suffering a goalless game by a last-minute Theo H goal. Tied with the other Milan on points for 3rd but behind them due to GD - and Inter have an extra game to play. Battle for 2nd still a few team's to take, even if 1st is already decided.

12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What’s gone wrong for Sergino Dest and what should his next step be?

It’s not beyond the realms of possible that Dest could return to his former club. Ajax have still to replace Noussair Mazraoui since he left Amsterdam for Bayern Munich last summer. Devyne Rensch has been somewhat underwhelming for the Dutch champions in the right back position this season and Dest could be seen as an upgrade.

https://www.fubo.tv/news/whats-gone-wrong-for-sergino-dest-and-what-should-his-next-step-be/

gomichigan24 and TimB4Last repped this.
  13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That's not how Ajax works.

14. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as it's somewhere that he's playing regularly.

I'm curious if Barcelona might try and give him another shot. Their financial situation is such that I don't it's at all possible for them sign anyone new without significant sales.

15. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They did just bring back Brian Brobbey from Leipzig.

Even buying someone like Steven Bergwijn who is 24 from Tottenham 31 million is not their typical move, but they did it last summer.

They made so much money selling guys last summer they were a bit more willing to bring in guys a bit farther along careerwise who cost more than they typically pay.

They should have a number of sales this summer as well. Timber and Alvaraz for instance, should both go for fairly decent fees.

usnroach repped this.
  16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Araujo chose Mexico as soon as Dest came on board after heavy recruiting urged on by social media. He knew he couldn't compete with somebody on Barca squad no matter what he would do in MLS so he took the other track.

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Brobbey is 21, a clear investment value, Dutch, and going up as we speak.

Bergwjin is a solid value already, Dutch, and their biggest Xfer ever in a position of need.

Dest is 22, not Dutch, not a good investment unless Barcelona is ready to sell him for close to nothing, and Rensch is 20 and while not a perfect fit yet, has already shown better defensive chops than Sergino.

18. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point is Brobbey is someone who left Ajax and came back and who they paid a decent amount of money to bring.

And Ajax paid a record fee for Bergwjin who is 24 and not the sort of signing that they that would typically make.

If they need a right back there's no reason they wouldn't consider Dest, especially since he'll got for less than what they sold him for.

Ajax's strategy last summer was very different from what they do typically. This was because of the money they got from sales, and they still have some pretty big sales they are going to make this summer as well.

You're writing Dest to Ajax off as a possibility when it would be very in line with what they did last summer.

Dest is also still Dutch btw. He didn't lose his citizenship because he picked the US.

superdave and usnroach repped this.
  19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    In this case Dutch = plays for the Dutch NT or is eligible to do so.

20. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet now they're both on the books of Barcelona. Funny old game.

superdave repped this.
  21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Ajax isn't above buying Dest back, if they think they can do good business with it.

But Devyn Rensch has started nearly every - maybe every? - game he's been available for since the WC for sure, if not a bit longer. Reviews have been decent for the most part and he's looked up to the task when I've seen him. Ajax was having a bit of trouble putting away games and settled for a bunch of ties back around Xmas, but they've been much more consistent lately. They're on a 7 or 8 game win streak (if we ignore the Union mess) - which they will need to continue if they hope to make up the remaining ground on Feynie - and/or stave off AZ/PSV. Not sure they feel the need to bring in Dest for Rensch, but I got no idea what they are thinking. I'd say it's possible, for the right price, but not likely if anyone is looking to recoup at all.

22. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn’t make the lineup today

23. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I always forget he’s at Milan.

24. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    And so far, they're struggling, 1-1, nearing 70' Coincidence? I think so.

Edit: Wait, that doesn't sound quite right.

adam tash repped this.
  25. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any bets where Dest will wind up?

I hoped Dortmund previously but I don’t think he’s good enough.

mid-level German team seems about right. Or maybe france.