Pre-match: September Camp Roster Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by gomichigan24, Jul 9, 2022.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #351 Clint Eastwood, Aug 11, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
    For Pete's sake............Araujo's own words. To paraphrase:
    "My heart is with Mexico."

Julian Araujo explains his decision to represent Mexico over the USMNT (90min.com)

People twist themselves in knots trying to blame the USSF and USMNT/USYNT staffs. They make assumptions and frankly just make nonsense up. Read his own words about the decision in the linked article, then tell me you want that guy playing for the USMNT.

Why do people pine for players that don't want to play for us? I don't get it.

We were very aggressive calling Araujo up to our youth teams.

Why were people talking about him on this thread anyway? He should be dead to us.
    We've got Bundesliga right backs like Joe Scally that we haven't fully integrated yet. Mauricio Cuevas of Club Brugge is the next one in the assembly line. I thought he showed promise with the recent U20 team.

Mike03, FTGOTC, jnielsen and 6 others repped this.
  2. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, Araujo chose Mexico. People need to move on.

Cuevas looks really good. I think that he is about as good as Gomez but maybe less of goal threat. Definitely a player that needs to be called up at the beginning of the next cycle, for the USMNT.

FTGOTC, Winoman and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  3. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Gomez looked special playing with his senior squad in pre-season, at least on the offensive side. Defence isn't emphasized so much in pre-season so hard to tell about that.

4. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Where? Didn't look good at U-20 Quals. Too early to think about him, by 2026 we might have plenty of better players.

Pegasus repped this.
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Gomez is the important one to get.
    The challenge with that one was the cancelled 2021 U20 cycle.
    [Others were picked over him in his U17 cycle, but they're all professionals. Tolkin, Bello, and company.] So we lost a chance to make a connection with Jonathan Gomez.

My contacts in Texas have no idea which way that's going to go. They're more pessimistic about him than Pepi.

They also think Mexico's failure to qualify for the U20WC or Olympics doesn't matter. Gomez will be interested in the senior nationals teams.

I'll be very curious to see if either Mexico or the USMNT is very aggressive and calls him up to pre-WC camp. Without youth cycles, Mexico may feel they need to.

6. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tata isn’t calling him up. He’s been very clear he’s only focused on guys who were a part of qualifying and who have a chance of going to the World Cup. If Mexico is going to call him for the full team it won’t be till next March.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  7. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tata doesn't care because he knows he's gone after this and they just dumped their GM? so know heat from above him either (not that I think it would matter as Tata didn't get along with Vanney at AU because he thought he was interfering).

gomichigan24 repped this.
  8. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup he know he's on his way out so no more thinking about the future for him and his only focus is the World Cup. And while I believe they have hired a new sporting director I'm sure he's also similarly focused on the World Cup and just generally getting up to speed.

Mexico will definitely keep trying to poach dual nationals fiercely, I'm just not expecting a ton of that from them until post World Cup.

Pegasus repped this.
  9. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    That's about the size of it.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Except he already did call him up and cap him.

If he really liked what he saw, he could invite him to one of their pre-WC camps. They have two pre-WC camps. One in August/September based exclusively in the US (with games against Paraguay, Peru, and Columbia). I will guarantee you that there will young dual-nationals at that camp. Then they have friendlies in November (with matches against Iraq and Sweden) to gel their selected squad on the way to the World Cup.

These are camps. You can bring in young players to participate. The US has done this repeatedly over the years. Remember 2006 when Arena called teenage Michael Bradley into the pre-WC camp, and gave him his first cap? He had no chance to make the squad, but there he was in the camp.

Hell...............I won't be surprised if Berhalter invites Gomez to our camp. In fact, I'd support him in doing that.

If people want Gomez, then we need to be aggressive. If we wait around for some mystery post-WC 22 window...................we will lose him.

And while ya'll are whining about how Bello and Vines aren't any good (and Tolkin isn't ready), but are suggesting we invite them to camp anyway.......................Gomez will get away. He will.

11. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word.

12. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I remember comments Arajuo's dad made before he ever committed. It was always quite clear listening to him that he was going to El Tri if they called. Julian himself even admitted Gregg and he had a great relationship and Gregg went hard to get him but he wanted Mexico.

13. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a camp that was outside the international window which was primarily focused on younger players. Tata isn’t focused on young players or trying to lock down dual nationals right now. He only cares about the World Cup. And the leadership above him is also new and still getting up to speed. Gomez won’t be in their August, September, or November camps. That doesn’t mean that they will stop trying for him. Just that they probably won’t be pushing till post World Cup when a new coach is in place.

The Bradley thing with Arena was much different. They happened to be training in New York and he helped them make up numbers while they were waiting for guys to arrive. And of course Bob Bradley has a long standing relationship with Arena. Arena and Berhalter were also both thinking long term in a way that Tata just isn’t anymore.

I don’t think Berhalter will invite Gomez to our camp either unless he starts getting first team minutes between now and then. And I haven’t seen anyone whining about Vines. And I also think that it’s not clear whether Tolkin or Gomez is the better prospect to begin with. You of course want Gomez in the fold though cause he could very well turn out to be a very good player.

14. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Updated....

GOALKEEPERS
    1. Zack Steffen
    2. Ethan Horvath
    3. Matt Turner

Missed out: Gabriel Slonina, Sean Johnson

Now that Horvath has locked down his starting job, I believe this is straightforward, our goalkeepers are Turner, Steffen, and Horvath. This camp should sort out who is #1.

Johnson is still a strong contender to make the World Cup, and he drops no further than 4th on the depth chart. I don’t believe Slonina is much of a strong contender until after the World Cup.

FULL BACKS
    1. Sergino Dest (could rest)
    2. Antonee “Jedi” Robinson (could rest)
    3. Sam Vines (must be there)
    4. Reggie Cannon (must be there)
    5. Joe Scally (must be there)
    6. DeAndre Yedlin (could rest) v John Tolkin v just bring 5

Missed out: Shaq Moore, George Bello, DeJuan Jones, Kevin Paredes, Jonathan Gomez

Here’s the thing: we must bring in Joe Scally and Sam Vines. The whole fullback should revolve around that. We need to determine, now not later, if they’re ready for prime time. And we already know what we have in Dest, Jedi, and Yedlin.

Cannon still needs the extra reps.

And I’m still on the fence about John Tolkin. If this wasn’t the World Cup, then, he would have already had his ticket in hand with his outstanding 2022 performance. But it might be too soon to introduce him. On the other hand, I would talk Tolkin, right now, over George Bello who is in terrible form and in a terrible club situation, at the moment (and who hasn’t impressed enough in a national team shirt).

In all, bringing 6 fullbacks is a lot to bring. I see us taking 5. Again, I wouldn’t mind resting one of Yedlin, Jedi, or Dest in order to give one of the other guys one last shot. If Dest transfers, he might be the guy so he can acclimate. If he doesn’t transfer, I would probably let Yedlin or Jedi take this camp off to rest and be ready for the big show in a couple months.

CENTER BACKS
    1. Walker Zimmerman
    2. Chris Richards
    3. Cameron Carter-Vickers
    4-5. Erik Palmer-Brown v Tim Ream v Auston Trusty v Aaron Long

Missed out: Mark McKenzie, Matt Miazga, Henry Kessler, John Brooks, Owen Otasowie, Miles Robinson (out)

Man, Auston Trusty’s and Tim Ream’s stock are rising and John Brooks’ stock is in free fall. If there was any hope that Brooks was going to get one last shot, he has obliterated that chance.

Now, we desperately need to figure out our center back position because it looks very shaky. Walker Zimmerman is our only trusted defender.

At this point, I know that I want to see Zimmerman, Richards, and CCV. That’s set in stone for me. Then, it’s going to come down to the wire. I know Berhalter likes Long, but I’ve been more and more unimpressed by him. Meanwhile, EPB and even Ream and Trusty are trying to make a late dash.

Who would you pick? I think more will shake out in the coming weeks but I would probably select EPB and Ream due to familiarity with Berhalter’s system.

DEFENSIVE MIDS
    1. Tyler Adams
    2. Kelyn Acosta
    3. James Sands (must be a lock now).

Missed out: Jack McGlynn, Tanner Tessman, Gianluca Busio, Owen Otasowie, Johnny Cardoso

Of this group, James Sands must be there. He’s earned it, and he gives us some versatility in two positions that we desperately need right now.

Busio, unfortunately, has dropped out of the race.

Meanwhile, Adams and Acosta are the status quo.

MIDFIELDERS
    1. Weston McKennie (might be out)
    2. Gio Reyna (might be out)
    3. Yunus Musah
    4. Malik Tillman
    5. Luca de la Torre
    6. Cristian Roldan v Richie Ledezma (might be out)

Missed Out: Eryk Williamson, Djordje Mihailovic, Sebastian Lletget, Taylor Booth, Christian Cappis, Cole Bassett

We’re going to have to wait and hold our breaths to determine if McKennie, Reyna, and Ledezma are fit for this camp. But I don’t care if I got to bring a wheelchair, Reyna must be in camp.

It seems that many of the MLS contenders are having an awful time to be in a funk. Djordje hasn’t reclaimed his form yet since his injury. Eryk seems to be missing. Lletget still has a mountain to climb. And so forth. Roldan will still be Berhalter’s “use if there’s no one else.”

That said, we know Musah will be there. Air Malik should be there. And De la Torre should be there ~ even if he isn’t featuring yet for Celta Vigo.

WINGERS
    1. Christian Pulisic
    2. Brenden Aaronson
    3. Tim Weah (might be out)
    4. Jordan Morris
    5. Paul Arriola

Missed out: Matthew Hoppe, Konrad de la Fuente, Josh Sargent, Chris Mueller, Alex Mighten

It seems that our winger situation is what it is, at the moment. I don’t see either of Konrad, Hoppe, or Sargent pushing their way in. And I don’t see anyone else with even a chance.

Meanwhile, we need Weah to return to fitness. Hopefully he won’t be sidelined for long.

Finally, this camp will continue to determine who wins out between Morris and Arriola. I only have one going to the World Cup.

FORWARDS
    1. Jesus Ferreira
    2. Brandon Vazquez
    3. Jordan Pefok
    4. Folarin Balogun (needs to switch) v Haji Wright v Ricardo Pepi v Jeremy Ebobisse v just bring 3.

Missed out: Daryl Dike (injured), Gyasi Zardes

It should be straightforward that Pefok, Vazquez, and Ferreira are going to this camp now. They’ve earned it. And they should be there.

Now, should we bring a fourth forward? That can still be determined. If anyone else has a shot to make the WC roster, then, they should be there. But I see this door closing fast.

Pepi seems to be falling off a cliff. I don’t really see it for Wright or Ebobisse. And it’s probably too soon for Balogun.

In Closing, I don’t see Berhalter bringing more than 30.

GK Turner, Steffen, Horvath
    FB Dest, Jedi, Tolkin, Vines, Scally, Cannon [omit: Yedlin]
    CB Zimmerman, Richards, CCV, EPB, Ream
    DM Adams, Sands, Acosta
    MF McKennie [Roldan], Reyna, Musah, Tillman, De la Torre
    WG Pulisic, Aaronson, Weah, Morris, Arriola
    FW Ferreira, Pefok, Vazquez

15. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No rest for the next camp. If a guy is on a knock then perhaps he's left off. But if healthy they have to be in camp. This is the LAST camp and matches before Qatar. All hands on deck.

la torre, Marko72, theboogeyman and 5 others repped this.
  16. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever one thinks of Aaron Long he's definitely going to be there in September and he's most likely going to be there for the World Cup as well.

Ream has looked solid so far in the EPL, but he's also another one who would probably struggle if forced to play a high line the way Berhalter seems to want to do so. We know Berhalter is a huge fan, but we also know he doesn't really fit stylistically.

My guess is we'll see Zimmerman, Richards, Long, CCV and one of EPB or McKenzie (who started this weekend and should play more regularly going forward). Trusty seems like he'll have to wait till next cycle.

largegarlic and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think we'll have 4 forwards there.
    Based on his importance during qualifying, I suspect it'll be Pepi.
    Pit him head to head with Vasquez and Pefok. To the winners go the spoils.
    [I think Ferreira is in.]

18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think September camp will be similar to WC camp of yesteryear because the Qatar setup does not have the usual friendlies before kicking off game 1 of group. The September window is it. With that in mind, I think Berhalter will first and foremost concentrate on having 2 persons for each position - even if the two persons play the same position a little differently, thereby creating a variation of the position. With that in mind I"d start with the players Berhalter has imho, been most comfortable with

attackers:
    ------pulisic/brenden-------------ferreira---------weah
    ---------------------brenden/puli

wb's:
    ---antonee---------------------------------------------dest

cdmids:
    ------------------------musah-------adams
    cb's:
    -------------long-----------------------------------zim
    -------------------------gk: Steffen/Turner

The next question is: Who is the replacement player if any of the above can't go?

Attackers:
    Malik has been showing at Rangers he can play approximately the same area as Weah, albeit he tilts towards CAM area, and has shown enough to warrant a callup with the reservation that he might fail at a higher level. After all, Bayern did not think he was high enough level for them, thus the loan to Rangers. The UEFA Ch/league Group fixtures are 6–7 Sep and 13/14 September just prior to camp so maybe we see Tilman in Group if they beat PSV in qualis tomorrow and next week. Because Malik tends to lean CAM, i think Berhalter takes Arriola as a supplementary replacement for Weah while noticing that Malik could provide that CAM depth missing with Reyna out, especially. Malik certainly beats out McKennie with ease.

Morris
    is a guy who possesses a broad spectrum of skills including goal scoring at the USMNT level and can play right or left.

The back up at 9 will likely come down to Pefok + 1. My sense is that Berhalter doesn't think Vazquez is ready for the higher level. Pepi's play as a CAM favors him, imo. Hwvr, it will be difficult to justify Pepi if he isn't playing significant minutes for Augsburg. Vazquez may have to be called up to satisfy popular appeal he has earned in MLS. My guess is that he gets the Wright treatment.

wb's: I think Scally is called up because he can play inverted LB and has a good record for successful passes. Additionally, his current manager has him playing the kind of safe play Berhalter likes, albeit he is playing RB for club. Scally works as a passing hub from the back into the midfield to one of Musah, Brenden, Pulisic on the US's left side. On the right, I think Berhalter goes with Cannon as Dest's backup, considering that Scally can play RB and Cannon can play rcb as a third cb which i believe he has been doing for club.

cdmids: LDLT dribbles thru mid like Musah and would replace him, imo. USSF project Acosta, the most capped US player, or close to it, seems to be Berhalter's choice to fill in for Adams I think he probably calls Sands in to camp. The whole treatment of this position has been bizarre since Berhalter began his tenure. It's as if Berhalter were wrestling an anaconda. Bradley, Trapp, Yueil, Sands, Morales, some Brazilian guy - did I miss anybody? Acosta doesn't play dmid for his club - not any of his three clubs, actually.

cb's:
    it seems to me that Berhalter is comfortable with Richards (good left foot) and CCV as cb back ups. If Sands is called in, he can also play CB which he plays for Rangers. I never understood why Miazga was not given more chances.

3rd GK: Horvath may have the lead on SeanJohn but Berhalter always seemed to favor SJ over Horvath. I guess it will depend on performance between now and Sep camp.

19. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    I think your squad predictions are very good, but I disagree strongly about resting players at or during the next cap. Our best 11 is still really young and inexperienced, and these are the last two games before the actual World Cup. Getting the projected starters for the WC reps together should be Berhalter’s top priority right now. Things like choosing the backup right back need to be done through practice evaluations and 20-30 minute sub appearances in the September friendlies. Even if our first 11 had a ton of experience, it would be crazy to let possible/likely starters go nearly 6 months without a national team appearance going into the World Cup.

20. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can agree with this feedback. It’s a notion that I’m kicking around to figure out how do we get who we need to into camp. Truly, this camp might have to be 32-35 players if we are to include all of the players who still have a shot.

theboogeyman repped this.
  21. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There’s definitely 32-35 players I’d like to see called up, but unlikely Berhalter calls up more than 28 or so.

TheRightPants repped this.
  22. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    I think it will be close to that number, too. I think injuries are a very important consideration given the timing of things. For example, guys like Ream and EPB might be on the outside looking in, now, and berhalter might already have his mind close to made up on that. However, 1-2 injuries between now and late November might put one of them on the plane to Qatar.

I do think it is still entirely possible that a guy who is not called in in September could still be called I for Qatar. Ream is an example of that. And that’s okay. A guy like him or Roldan wouldn’t hold a grudge against berhalter, and wouldn’t get pissy about riding the bench in Qatar. It’s important for Berhalter to be prepared for many different scenarios, but it’s also important to remember that the guys at the end of the bench are unlikely to play. I want September practice reps and playing time to guys berhalter thinks are likely to play in Qatar.

FTGOTC and Marko72 repped this.
  23. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the value in calling in 30 some players into the September camp? This is the last opportunity to get the team heading to Qatar match minutes together. Sure you have training to look at guys but how many can you realistically evaluate in a short camp and two friendlies (when the stated need is to get the team playing well together). Certainly there are some players who look like they should be called in as they could well fill a need for Qatar but I think that list has to be pretty small.

Sands, Tillman, Vazquez are probably the only players that might be outside the 26 that I would call in. I also am calling in Vines but I see him in the 26 right now.

Marko72 repped this.
  24. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Indeed, while this camp is also a last-chance audition for those close to roster spots, particularly roster spots in positions of need (#9, backup LB), it is primarily a camp to work out team cohesion and tactical wrinkles. In other words, this camp is mainly about preparing the guys already "on" the team for the World Cup, and not about giving everyone and their brother a fair final chance at cracking the 26.

25. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you necessarily need to go 30 but I think you should go bigger than 26. I think you call the 26 you see as on the roster at that point in time, plus the 3 or so fringe guys who are competing for the last few spots.

Marko72 and Winoman repped this.