Pre-match: September Camp Roster Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by gomichigan24, Jul 9, 2022.

1. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since this doesn't seem to exist yet.

Two matches are against Japan and Saudi Arabia

My current prediction for the roster

GK: Steffen, Horvath, Turner
    LB: Jedi, Vines
    RB: Dest, Yedlin, Scally
    CB: Zimmerman, Richards, Long, CCV, EPB
    DM: Adams, Acosta
    CM: McKennie, Musah, LDLT, Mihailovic
    WF: Pulisic, Reyna, Weah, Aaronson, Arriola
    FW: Pepi, Vazquez, Ferreira

Others in contention
    GK: Johnson, Slonina
    LB: Bello, Jones, Tolkin, Gomez
    RB: Cannon, Moore,
    CB: Brooks, McKenzie
    DM: Sands
    CM: Tillman, Pomykal, Busio, Roldan, Williamson
    WF: Paredes, Morris
    FW: Pefok, Sargent, Wright, Ebobisse

Zinkoff, schrutebuck, Pl@ymaker and 5 others repped this.
  2. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    That's as good as any guess this far out. By late August, once European seasons have gotten underway, I might have some more thoughts.

Picking Brandon Vazquez is a rather bold move, but not outlandish given the lack of production from literally everyone that has occupied that spot thus far, and I wouldn't say I disagree. Ebobisse also scored today, which draws him level with Ferreira for the top American scorer, just one ahead of Vazquez on the season so far, and two behind Castellanos for the overall league lead.

Considering that there have been seasons where there have barely been any Americans among the top 10 scorers in the league, this might be the one silver (at least dull silver) lining to the grey cloud that is our #9 situation.

3. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For whatever reason Berhalter just doesn’t seem to rate Ebobisse and it seems like it’s unlikely he gets a look in September.

Pefok may very well get the spot I put Vazquez in, though I just like what I’ve seen from Vazquez this year.

If Pepi doesn’t have a decent start the season his spot becomes tenuous as well.

4. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the last chance, I think you have to call more guys in. I wouldn't remove anyone from the first list, but from the second list I would add:
    Morris Brooks Pomykal Wright for sure
    plus Paredes Sargent Tillman based on how they're playing

(still expecting Paredes to play his way onto the roster)

Yeah that's a big camp but that's what happens when so many call ups went to guys like Lletget and Zardes and Roldan (who is pretty far down on your CM "contention" list)

5. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The good news is that Euro leagues will have over a month of play before the roster needs to be finalized. But this is pretty much a guys last chance to get called into camp. The only type of player I can see making the final roster that doesn't get called into the September camp would be a player like Brooks. Not saying he won't be called into the September camp at all. Just that a player like him that has been around the team a fair bit historically could make the Qatar roster even if they don't get a September call up. But a guy like Vazquez? Just highly doubtful they could get a final call coming in pretty much cold.

6. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Berhalter has basically said this camp is just to get reps w/in the system and chemistry among each other ahead of the WC. So read his lips, no new call-ups.

As it pertains to CF, I think this means he'll bring Pepi, Ferreira, and the best performer in Europe who's already been in camps, i.e. Dike. Other than that he'd utilize transfer options, like Morris, from elsewhere on the field. That would axe Vazquez.

I would operate more like Bradley pre '10 WC, staying open to new options until the end. But if Berhalter was going to operate this way, at least he could have cast a wider net last camp, and bring the likes of Vazquez.

I really want to see the likes of Pomykal & Paredes. But I wonder if Berhalter would draw a line for experience and system knowledge even above that. Prioritizing system over players internationally is never a good strategy.

theboogeyman repped this.
  7. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there’s still room for Vazquez in this camp. Just given the situation at center forward there’s still a chance for him if he continues to play well.

I think Paredes wouldn’t be in camp if it was named today, but if he starts the season well he can play himself in.

I’d love to see Pomykal, I just don’t think it’s happening for him this cycle. He’ll have to wait for January most likely (assuming we have a January camp).

8. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just based on past practice I find it doubtful Berhalter goes above 27 guys.

As for Roldan, the in contention list wasn’t meant as a ranking and I put him at the end because I was going back and forth about having him on the projected roster or not.

TheRightPants repped this.
  9. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we're in the same situation as we were leading into the '10, when Buddle and Gomez snuck in late, regardless of what some apologists may argue.

But Berhalter has boxed himself in. His past words are the greatest indicator of his plans. He can change them, but until he does, I'll figure this is the way it's going to be.

As far as Pomykal goes, my bet would be against him. I think Berhalter has had an axe to grind with him in the past.

If Paredes is a regular for Wolfie, which would be a great accomplishment for an American-bred youth player, breaking down that barrier; then I think he'll be at this camp. Berhalter loved him at January camp & he doesn't appear satisfied at LB.

10. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Theoretically, if the entire squad is healthy, then I think this would be a camp where Berhalter would call in 30 or 31 players, because it's his last chance to see the full group. So I would start with this:

Steffen, Turner, Johnson, Horvath
    Zimmerman, Richards, Long, Carter-Vickers, Palmer-Brown
    Dest, A. Robinson, Yedlin, Cannon, __________
    Adams, McKennie, Musah, Acosta, de la Torre, Roldan, Sands
    Pulisic, Weah, Aaronson, Reyna, Arriola, Morris
    Ferreira, Pepi, Wright

But there will inevitably be attrition - hopefully due to short-term injury only - and I think that's the factor that will keep the squad at the 26-29 range.

11. TheRightPants

TheRightPants Member

Feb 23, 2006
    Los Angeles, Etc.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The consistency of both Berhalter’s actions and words to this point is a strong predictor that this camp will be <28. I’m not a betting man, but if anyone was up for a wager I’d back up that statement with a substantial sum.

I lament that evidence-based belief, as I’d prioritize the search for form of a larger camp over whatever operational and intangible benefits of a tighter one. But that’s 99.9% not what Greg is going to do.

12. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    It's interesting, because if Berhalter sticks with a number like 27 or 28, then does he leave out basically all fringe players from the September list, or does he leave out players who he thinks will make the World Cup in order to test fringe players? Given the fact that the US hasn't had that many opportunities to test itself against non-CONCACAF opposition, he probably has to go with #1.

For example, I don't see any room at all for a player like Mihailovic unless Berhalter goes with a larger squad, because otherwise somebody important will have to be left out.

13. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    I think one consideration is it would have been hard to give significant PT to both Wright and Vazquez. Presumably Vazquez is next in line.

14. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Vines, EPB will not be there. Morris will. Otherwise, I think guys in contention will depend on form. Sands is a coach's player which Berhalter would have discovered if he'd brought him in more. Unfortunately, he's a guy the coach will want to work with. When the coach does that he will be rewarded with performance. Too late, too bad - cuz we need some depth in dmid role.

15. TheRightPants

TheRightPants Member

Feb 23, 2006
    Los Angeles, Etc.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So interesting. I’d wager his goal is team cohesion, prioritizing getting his locked-in guys on the same page of whatever strategic objectives he has. Whomever fits in behind Ferreira, Jedi, Dest, et al... well, he’ll invite his perceived top picks in September. They’ll have an edge come roster selection time, but if they screw up I think Gregg is comfortable selecting the next guys he has on the depth chart—even if they’re not present for the September camp.

I agree with what some folks here have said, that guys like Vasquez and Pomykal have a pretty low chance of invitation at this point. And essentially zero if not present in September, as Gregg seems hesitant to upset the balance of team chemistry and system knowledge with new recruits without a proper run-out.

I suppose a rash of untimely injuries can alter the trend here—I wouldn’t dare risking speaking any of these into existence, though one can imagine—but under relatively normal circumstances Gregg’s been somewhat predictable when it comes to this stuff.

schrutebuck and TimB4Last repped this.
  16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Berhalter likes goals and Mihailovich provides that. He's one of the few Berhalter has not worked with much whom he might call in nontheless.

I think guys who have not worked at all with Berhalter will likely not get called in at this point. Maybe a regular has a slight knock and he takes the opportunity to call in somebody new. Otherwise he will want to work with his regulars on tactics he expects to use v. our various opponents and get hose down "cold".

schrutebuck repped this.
  17. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vines may or may not be there, but there will probably be someone as the backup left back whether it’s him, Bello, or Tolkin.

As for EPB, no reason for him not to be there unless Brooks makes a shocking return. It’s not as if we’ve locked in our four center backs quite yet.

Sands needs to get good playing time to start this season and that might get him on the roster.

18. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone like Mihailovic is competing with a Roldan or Morris for the last spot or two. The question is will Berhalter give Mihailovic a shot versus calling either of those guys in when he has a good sense of what they bring to the table.

19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think his fullbacks will be Dest, Cannon, ARob, Scally.

the 4 cb's will be Zim, CCV, Long, and, I guess, Richards. (Edit: If EPB gets called in it will be due to roster size enlargement but I doubt he sees time in Qatar.)

20. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think CCV has locked down a spot yet, but also there’s no reason we’d necessarily be limited to 4 center backs or fullbacks for the roster.

I have a hard time seeing Yedlin being left off either, and Scally may not make it over Cannon.

Marko72 repped this.
  21. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Paredes I think his play could get him on the roster, though Wolfsburg appears to be using him further up the field in preseason and not at left back.

What he said about that September camp is he thinks most of the roster will and it won’t be much of a tryout period. And it’s true we shouldn’t expect a bunch of new guys. But it’s plausible we could see a player like Vazquez given the shortcomings at forward. If Berhalter isn’t happy with the options he has to choose from, I don’t think it’ll stop him from calling Vazquez (who is clearly already on his radar).

22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #22 Excellency, Jul 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
    Scally over Cannon doesn't make sense as a comparison because the idea with Scally is to have back up at LB and he adds inverted right foot there. Additionally, Scally is known to be a good passer and Long/Musah may need some help in that department which they would not get so much in ARob whose passing into midfield can be good but tends to be inconsistent.

23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    CCV was picked by Celtic going into UCL. HIs play for us in the box has always been rock solid. He'd be playing in EPL if he were better on the ball. Having said that, he has vastly improved his game on the ball, provided the team understands how he plays and I'm pretty sure Berhalter understands that.

24. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it would take none of the Euro strikers performing for Vazquez to get called in. Ferreira has one spot on lock down. So, all of Pefok, Pepi, Dike, Wright and even Sargent have to be either not playing or ineffective for Vazquez to get called. I think this is especially true since I believe it's very possible Berhalter only selects two 9's, and adds Morris as a catch all.

Pegasus, schrutebuck and Excellency repped this.
  25. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    I hope and think Paredes will get called in in September if he’s doing well for Wolfsburg. Don’t think there’s much Pomykal can do at this point. Didn’t he supposedly make negative comments about berhalter or something?

I also think he will go with the hottest striker he’s familiar with, and I think Dike is the most likely to be that guy.

Yowza repped this.