Seol not doing well at Wolves it seems

Discussion in 'Korea' started by the_13th_redneck, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    The Peak District, England
    Seol played in the reserves tonight in the 5:0 win against Everton reserves. Although he was eclipsed by Leon Clarke, who scored 4, he was involved in 3 of the goals - one goal was scored after a return pass from Seol, another was headed in from his cross, and another was a penalty, when Clarke was pulled down after going for a Seol through ball. I wasn't at the match, but by looking at the team sheet, I'm guessing that he was playing wide left.

2. the_13th_redneck

the_13th_redneck BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2002
    Ugh....
    he's not even the star of the reserves.

3. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    This is from the Wolverhampton Express & Star:

http://www.expressandstar.com/articles/sport/wolves/article_67083.php

Seol Ki-Hyeon is in the frame for a return to first team duty at Rotherham on Saturday after impressing in Wolves' reserves last night.

The South Korean international has been taken out of the Championship firing line for the past two games as he bids to adjust to life in the English game.

But he was one of the stars of the second string's 5-0 thrashing of Everton at Telford, having a hand in three of Leon Clarke's four goals.

And caretaker Stuart Gray said he believed the break would have done the club's £1.2m signing from Anderlecht the power of good.

"We took Seol out of the firing line for a couple of games to give him the chance to watch and see what the English game was all about rather than still have the pressure of being a substitute," said Gray.

"The pace of the game here is much quicker than at Anderlecht who dominate everything in Belgium.

"He has taken time to realise that over here you train like you play and he has just got to pick up that tempo because he is technically a very good player.

"Everyone wants the quickest return on their investment but sometimes you need to be patient.

"He needed a run out and even at reserve level last night would have helped him realise what British football is all about because you still have to cope with people closing you down quickly."

4. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
    Hmmm well that's very encouraging.
    I just hope it does him good. Perhaps they also want him to watch a few of the matches. Just hope things turn out well.

5. cappuccino_kid

Oct 23, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=153261&cc=5901

With 11 minutes left, Korean Ki-Hyeon Seol raced away down the left and when he cut out the chasing defenders with a clever square ball across the box, Cort was on hand to steer the winner.

http://www.wolves-mad.co.uk/news/loadrprt.asp?cid=MTCH&id=187991
    (Seol rated "7", highest on team)

And substitute Ki-Hyeon Seol set up the winner when he slipped down the left 11 minutes from the end and drilled a low cross for Cort to slide his close-range shot past Pollitt.

6. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    (Cooper was rated at 8, highest on the team.)

Great! Keep it up, Seol.

7. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
    Nice way to return!

8. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    There's an interesting article on Seol on the icBirmingham.co.uk website - I'd post a link for it but I think it is so long that it would wrap and not work properly (I'm not too technical). This is a link for the Wolves part of the site, and you can get to it from there:
    http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk/wolves/news/
    The article is titled "Wolves' Korean star misses taste of home", and although it focuses on how he doesn't enjoy English food, and has to travel 300 miles to do his shopping, it also gives his reaction to being left out of the team, and the departure of Dave Jones.

9. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
    I have no problems adjusting to England.
    Unfortunately I'm not good enough at football. urrgh

10. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    Erm... Lee San, West Ham and Brentford.

(though granted he hasn't played any top team games yet)

11. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    Sky Sports seem to think that Seol will start on Saturday, ahead of Shaun Newton. If this is the case then it may mean that he will be playing on the right of midfield. Of course, the manager may decide to rest him after playing for South Korea this week.

I'll be there and I'll let you know how he gets on if he plays.

12. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
    Cheers!
    Also on the Korea side of the news, Seol Ki-hyun made a substitute appearance against the Maldives and it improved Korea's attack like mad. Made an assist and nearly found the score sheet himself it wasn't for the Maldives goalie's heroics.

13. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    Seol didn't start for Wolves against Coventry last Saturday. He came on with about 25 minutes to go, playing wide on the left (although ended up playing more like a striker toward the end of the match). Wolves had just gone 1:0 down when he was brought on, and he didn't really have much of a chance to make an impression - especially as Coventry were happy to keep possession and run down the clock.

Wolves lost 1:0 in a game that they really should have won, having had the best of the chances. I think it may be just a question of time before Seol is given a place up front, as we seem to be dominating games and yet not scoring.

14. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
    I guess the manager wanted to rest him after the international match. We'll see.

15. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    I was going to say that, but I'm not sure that that's the only reason. One of our other players, Seyi Olofinjana, was playing for Nigeria in South Africa last week, and he started Saturday's match.

Oddly enough, Wolves finished Saturday's match with 3 left wingers on the pitch (including Seol, who was the one actually playing in that position).

16. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
    I'm depressed man... I'm depressed...

17. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    Seol came on as a late substitute against Sheffield United. Didn't really have enough time to do anything. I think he had one shot (final score was 3:3 - Wolves led twice during the match).

There's all sorts of rumours going around about a new manager for Wolves at the moment - sir Bobby Robson and Harry Redknapp are the two main names mentioned. A change in manager may well be to Seol's benefit. Hopefully something will happen soon.

18. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
    Hope so. Not sure what he's done to get on the caretaker's sh1t list but it's not good. Come on... get a replacement!!!

19. David Leench

David Leench New Member

Aug 28, 2004
    san francisco
    fu£K. Seol benched in Wolverhampton's 4-1 drubbing of Reading.

20. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
  21. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
  22. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
    Now to wait and see...

23. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    Seol came on for the last 10 minutes or so of last night's match against Millwall (playing wide right and wide left at times). He missed a "sitter" but I couldn't tell if the ball was deflected before it got to him or if he was unsighted. Difficult to judge him - for most of the game Wolves were playing with 2 left wingers out of position, and nobody on the left wing. By the time Seol came on, I guess the rest of the team were used to nobody being there so he didn't see a lot of the ball. Wolves were very poor and were chasing the game (losing 2:1) and had resorted to throwing almost everyone forward and playing in balls from the halfway line, which were easily defended against. Wolves finished the game playing with 3 strikers, as well as Seol who ended up playing up front in the closing minutes. It was embarassing.
    Seol did put in at least one half decent cross, but his arrival was too late in the game for any constructive football on his part.

I hope the above makes some sort of sense - I feel like I'm just ranting. I'm not happy at all. Wolves were playing without any shape or discipline.

24. GitongaSimba

GitongaSimba New Member

Aug 11, 2004
    New York City
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Hoddle

Perhaps I'm the lone voice in the wilderness here, but I don't see Hoddle as a good signing for Wolves. First, he's signed only for 6 months (there should be alarm bells going off everywhere). Second, he's been out of coaching for almost a year. Third, doesn't anyone remember why he left Spurs in the first place? His weird New Age crystal and incense crap, the implosion of Spurs defense, and the general chest-thumping of Spurs fans as Hoddle left Spurs in the gutters? Why do Wolves fans go along with this crap?