Seol not doing well at Wolves it seems

Discussion in 'Korea' started by the_13th_redneck, Oct 24, 2004.

1. KovenDreamer

KovenDreamer Member+

Apr 17, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Thanks, Quirky_Birky.

Seol has been moved to midfielder by Wolves, hasn't he?

I guess he wasn't getting it done at all at striker. I hope he can step up for the team.

Seol is known for being inconsistent, a box of chocolates. Right now, he's cold, but you should see him when he's on his game.

2. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    The Peak District, England
    He hasn't played as striker yet for Wolves. It looks like he will do tomorrow though. Watch this space!!!

3. the_13th_redneck

the_13th_redneck BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2002
    Well Quirky, all of a sudden you're a very important person on the Korean football side of bigsoccer.com!
    We value your insight... and that you can actually watch him play lol

4. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    MANY THANKS!!!!

5. Almogavar92

Almogavar92 New Member

Aug 17, 2001
    USA
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Well then cheers! And deep down, I hope Seol can help Wolves back to the Premiership and that he can play Premiership football all the same. I think my outburst was in frustration to recent results and I honestly can't say that the fortunes of Wolves take precedence over the fortunes of one of our good strikers. But if it's possible, why not have both parties (Wolves and Seol) take their piece of the cake, right? I think you're as smart as anyone else when you realize that the only reason why Wolves would occupy a spot on this forum here is because of Seol's signing. Truthfully, if he were sold to, let's say Plymouth (God forbid!) or even to your rivals West Brom, Wolves would cease to being part of the discussion.

Yes, I do remember the game Wolves played against Man Utd at Molineaux last season (having watched it live on television). Truly remarkable that such performance wasn't replicated throughout the season on a more consistent basis. The 4-3 comeback win against Leicester was better though. For me, it's amazing how football can evolve...the whole European Cup (now Champions' League) started because a Frenchman couldn't stand to read headlines that Wolves were "best team and champion of the world" after beating then powers Honved and CSKA Moscow. HOw things have changed. Hopefully one Korean will add to your fortunes.

6. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    well, the dumb korean newspapers did nickname him seolvaldo (rivaldo), which doesnt make sense at all.

7. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    Very true - I was only trying to defend my team, which is getting harder and harder to do!!

Anyway, back to the matter in hand. Seol played up front against Gillingham, but probably didn't do enough to stay there for the next match (away at Sunderland). He had one header well saved, but that's about it really (I don't go to away games, so I can't give you much detail I'm afraid). It was a rather poor display from Wolves, who were playing against 10 men for 78 minutes of the game, and although they dominated the match, they ended up losing 1:0. To quote someone off the Molineux Mix board: "Seol - unconvincing on the wing, even more unconvincing up front. To be fair both strikers were starved of decent service for long periods." although it sounds like there were worse performances from some of the other Wolves players.

8. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
    Dear oh dear.
    He's scored some great goals with his head for club and country... against France, against Brazil... a few in the Champions League. All he needs is a few crosses.

9. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    Wolves have just binned their boss.

Wonder what effect this will have on Seol, and whether the new boss will fancy him or not...

10. Almogavar92

Almogavar92 New Member

Aug 17, 2001
    USA
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    In all honesty, I'm surprised that Dave Jones lasted as long as he did considering that Wolves were relegated and now languish nine points off the final playoff place.

11. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
    Maybe the next manager will do a better job. Personally I cannot imagine Seol not making the XI at Wolves. If that happens... well that's just pretty sad now isn't it?

12. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    Well, Dave Jones was playing one of his left wingers at full back (Mark Kennedy) and another on the right (Cooper - who has been playing well consistently since getting back into the side) to make room for Seol. I can't imagine that his replacement would do the same, which would mean that Seol will have to fight to keep his place. There's more competition for places on the left and up front than in any other positions at Wolves (at least, when all the players are fit). Seol has shown a few glimpses of what he can do, but I think he really needs to have a great game or two to ensure his place in the team.

Dave Jones has had a poor start to the season with Wolves, but I'm quite sad to see him go. Wolves had been trying to get promotion for many years and, despite the many millions of pounds that were spent by previous managers, Jones was the one who managed it. I think he was seriously let down by the board both last season, and at the start of this one.

13. Hanjin

Hanjin Member+

May 18, 2004
    Gold Coast, QLD
    Club:
    Queensland Roar
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Do you know who might be the next wolves manager?

14. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    Gary Megson seems to be favourite with the bookmakers. Micky Adams and our own Paul Ince are also possibilities, as well as Stuart Gray, who's temporarily in charge. Other names mentioned are Bobby Robson, Gordon Strachan, John Gregory and Jean Tigana.

15. Almogavar92

Almogavar92 New Member

Aug 17, 2001
    USA
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    The most ideal choice would be Sir Bobby, but I'm wondering how much penchant the old man has in taking up another post after his beloved Magpies gave him the sack. Out of all those names, his record alone speaks volumes, but as we saw with Newcastle, he might not have the balls to deal with dressing room insubordination.... on the other hand, he wouldn't have the egos and primadonas he had to deal with at Newcastle.

Gary Megson seems to be a good choice although after reading your posts, I'm not sure how Wolves supporters would stomach the appointment of an ex-Baggie manager. But the man has done wonders with West Brom as he led them twice to promotion. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the choice.

I guess for us, the ultimate question is which one of these managers will let our boy play on a consistent basis.

Completely trivial comment: JUst started a season with Wolves in FIFA2005. Beat Crewe on opening day, lost to Rotherham (how realistic is this?), beat Leicester and now the next match is against Leeds.

16. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    Well, according to the latest rumours, sir Bobby is actually interested in taking the post. Don't know how reliable that is mind you. There is talk about him teaming up with Paul Ince, with a view to Ince taking over in the long term. Many Wolves fans would be happy with Megson - he got Albion promoted twice, and didn't leave them on good terms. However, he did fall out with two Albion chairmen and the Albion team in the process...

The latest on Seol (that is why I'm here after all!) is that he was dropped for tonight's match against Sunderland. He didn't even make the bench. This wasn't part of any wholesale changes as the rest of the team was pretty much unchanged (Miller returning up front after his suspension). I don't know if this is a sign of things to come or what. Stuart Gray is only in charge temporarily (and is unlikely to get the manager's job full time) so who knows? For the record, Wolves lost 3:1 after taking the lead in the first half. They led for about 20 minutes or so (into the second half) and then let their heads drop after Sunderland equalised.

I wouldn't consider computer games to be too realistic - I've taken Wolves into the Champions League on Championship Manager (and taken Walsall into the Premier League!!)

17. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
    Bad news...
    Alright, everyone come back to the K-League!

18. Almogavar92

Almogavar92 New Member

Aug 17, 2001
    USA
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Is that the same Stuart Gray who was taking charge of Southampton on a temporary basis after HOddle left? Or am I mistaking him for someone else? Sucks about Seol being benched, but it might do him some good to motivate him.

19. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
    He's not even benched. He's left out altogether.

20. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    Tough going for Seol but I do not expect too much from him. He had some success in Belgium but wasn't really tested.

21. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    Yup, the same Stuart Gray (he also had a short spell as caretaker manager at Aston Villa, and coached at Wolves in the 1990s under Graham Taylor).

I wouldn't write off Seol just yet - I doubt that he would replace Kenny Miller at the moment (he's the only Wolves player who seems to know where the goal is), but Carl Cort had a quiet game up front last night. The left wing position is also far from settled.

22. cappuccino_kid

Oct 23, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    v. Nottingham Forest

2nd game in a row Seol doesn't even make the bench.

Has there been any comments by Gray on this? I don't think he's playing in the reserves either? What's the deal?

Although he hasn't scored, the game summaries I read on Wolves-Mad.Co.Uk suggested that he was contributing.

23. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    I wouldn't panic just yet. Wolves have been struggling recently, and I think Gray is trying to settle the side - there have been lots of forced changes to the side, due to injuries, and players being played out of position. Unfortunately for Seol, other players (most noteably Cooper and Miller) have been playing too well to be dropped, and others (like Cort, Kennedy and Sturridge) have played well in the past. If results start to improve then Gray, or whoever gets the manager's job, will feel more able to make changes in certain areas.

If it helps at all, Paul Ince (a real fans favourite at Wolves) has also been dropped for the last few matches, and most fans would argue that he should be playing - again, that may be because Gray is trying to stick to the same, settled, team. I don't think Stuart Gray has anything against Seol. He hasn't been playing in the reserves, but then neither have most of the other "fringe" players (Wolves policy seems to be to play youth team players in the reserves to help with their development). I think there were only 3 or 4 players with first team experience in the last reserve game.

The bottom line is that Seol will get another opportunity, but he will have to prove his worth to stay in the side. Even if Stuart Gray does not want to play him, I don't think he will be picking the team for much longer.

24. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Why did he choose Wolves , i dont think they will make the PL !

25. cappuccino_kid

Oct 23, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Hindsight is 20/20. I think Wolves were generally expected to be competitive for a playoff spot this year.

With his stated aim of someday playing in the Premiership, I guess he thought at least he'd get some good exposure if not a team promotion.

Also, it's still a loooong way to the end of the season. Who knows? Wasn't it Crystal Palace that was near bottom of the table at Christmas and then made it up to the playoffs and promotion last year?