Senior Team Discussion

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Vieri's Left Foot, Dec 3, 2023.

1. Azzurrifan87

Azzurrifan87 Member+

Frosinone
    Mar 29, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Iaquinta unsung hero in 2006. Worked his rear end off as a make shift right winger to relieve Camoragoat.

2. Vieri#9

Vieri#9 Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Oct 22, 2023
    Please give me Scamacca over Iaquinta all day, and its not even close. Iaquinta never had more goals or assists than Scamacca had this season alone. Scamacca can literally score from any angle and he is one of the top playmaking forwards in the world.

3. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018
    Yes Iaquinta was a fantastic player. People just don't get it because that type of hard working forward was phased out of the game in the 2010s and people fall over themselves overrating low impact flair players. Though we are begging to see a resurgence of the hard working forward to some degree. He was very much in the Schilaci Delvecchio mold.

I think what Scamacca did at Sassuolo scoring 16 in 41 at a young age and scoring 19 in 44 for Atalanta where 17 or so of the goals came from second half of the season in 23 games or so where he was on the bench not yet settled and fit in the first half is very impressive and of course technically he is superior to Iaquinta when it comes to creating goals for others. We will see what happens with him if he can stay consistent but pure ability and production at his age I don't think there has been anyone close to Scamacca since Balotelli so let's just hope he is not another Super Mario because of course he could be.

falvo repped this.
  4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Schillaci on the national team anyway, was better but Iaquinta was a lot better attacker than Delvecchio.

Grande Iaquinta! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

5. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Cambiaso nowhere close to zambrotta. Unless it's cafu, give me gianluca!

6. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018
    Yeah I did not mean to say that he is but in the sense that he could become a top 5 fullback in the world like Zambrotta was ...Cambiaso has the potential. Zambrotta for me along with Cafu and Zanetti are the best right sided fullbacks of the modern era. I don't think any have been able to match them in recent times.

7. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018
    That's fair I only make the comparison because of their profile and that kind of profile somewhat going out of style. But yes Delvecchio only really had a couple in form seasons in terms of numbers. Montella is probably the better comparison. He was a fantastic poacher it is amazing we had him and Inzaghi at the same time and now those kinds of players are practically extinct.

I see the likes of Thuram as the modern equivalent of the hard working forward that is not a big target man necessarily and not a flair player either but sort of an all rounder that will run and press and create space for others. In a way Immobile was the heir to an Iaquinta sort of a Gilardino Iaquinta hybrid but there was just no place for a player like that at the top level anymore they break up the play too much with their touch. Which is why I love a Scamacca so much as even if he does not score he keeps the play moving and does not kill it the way Immobile did.

falvo repped this.
  8. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Fagioli and Frattesi given the day off. Fagioli is fatigued. They’re not sure what the issue is with Frattesi. Hopefully he’s not injured

9. Alex101

Alex101 Member

Mar 15, 2017
    I just hope Milan don't ruin the potential of Liberani and Camada have, for half-ass bums like Jovic and whatever EPL reject you get in the off season.

10. Pambiero

Pambiero Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Mar 21, 2021
    Midfield problems with Barella, Fagioli and Frattesi! This is bad! Both Fagioli and Frattesi had one injury scare during the last friendly but then continued playing! I didn’t read anything after the game and I thought that it was nothing serious! I hope it’s irrelevant!

11. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018
    It's pretty normal if you have muscle problems to train separately so that you don't injure yourself in training. It's likely more precautionary than anything. Sounds like nothing they couldn't play through it's just not something to risk.

12. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    #2312 AGomes, Jun 11, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2024
    So what @falvo ?

These days CF's, bar a few exceptions, don't have the goal totals.

Iaquinta was a luxury to have as a #5 Striker but I ask: if you could swap out 2024 calendar year Scamacca for 2006 Iaquinta, would you?

(not interested in years pre/post 2006 for Iaquinta)

And yes, Lippi made a perfect substitute to bring him on for ET against Germany. He didn't score or assist but he would have had ADP got a clean hit at it.

Whatever the case, hope these hobbled players cure their ails. Need a team in good physical condition. With 26 players surely they can find 11+5 substitutes for match days.

13. Rossonero23

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Scamacca scored three more goals than jovic. He italys bomber.
    Wtf

Il Ciuccio repped this.
  14. Rossonero23

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Phillip lahm too.
    Maybe creep Dani Alves.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It was not a given that Vincenzo Iaquinta was going to make the 2006 team.

Pundits along with Lippi lauded him during that period 2003-2006 as a young and up and coming striker.

I remember specifically watching a U-21 game I think it was sometime between 2001 or 03 at my home in Firenze in which Iaquinta played and the announcers were going crazy about this young, talented striker from Cutro.

Then Luca Toni scored 3 goals in one match at Brescia and subsequently was transferred to Palermo where he scored 50 goals in the Serie B and A and at that point, Vincenzo was not really the main guy.

Marcello Lippi was not picking Pippo Inzaghi because he was having an affair with his daughter, Stefania and when Christian Vieri was injured, he picked Vincenzo.

Had Vieri not been injured, either Pippo or Iaquinta will have been left off.

16. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    6 more than Jovic in league. Another 6 in EL. Scammacca clear.

17. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Didn't answer the question but fine. Iaquinta all day it is.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2318 falvo, Jun 11, 2024
    What do you want me to tell you that I didn't think Iaquinta was a great or even good player when I thought he was during that period?

I don't get your reasoning but to each his own.

Barca certainly would not have gone after him if they didn't think he was a great player.

19. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Fun fact... Iaquinta almost went to jail for his links to the 'Ndrangheta (through his papa).

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2320 falvo, Jun 11, 2024
    Yeah, but he was railroaded and eventually got off.

He held a gun for one of his Calabresi , Cutresi living in Reggio Emilia.

They went after him because he was a well-known figure.

That happens quite a bit to Calabresi in Northern Italy.

calabrese8 repped this.
  21. Vieri#9

Vieri#9 Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Oct 22, 2023
    Scamacca scored 19 goals total, not 12.

calabrese8 repped this.
  22. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Jovic stinks

Rossonero23 repped this.
  23. Azzurrifan87

Azzurrifan87 Member+

Frosinone
    Mar 29, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Lol you could find the oldest dog in the world put it up top at striker and it'd be more useful than Jovic

Jovic makes current day Osvaldo a better option.

24. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018
    Yeah they were both quality I'd put Lahm ahead as well.

25. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018
    Imagine that team on paper if we had a fit Vieri and mentally fit Cassano or if Maldini held on.
    The 2000s were really a meeting of back to back golden generations. The 1972-76 class and the 76-82 class of players. The second group ended up being what was missing from 98-2002.