Senior Team Discussion

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Vieri's Left Foot, Dec 3, 2023.

1. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    ********ing Passport merchants. Some need to stay home and improve their football.

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1652 falvo, May 17, 2024
    Last edited: May 17, 2024
    Have you been to Italy lately?

Sadly, Italian blood is becoming a thing of the past. .

Retegui and Camoranesi never grew up worshiping the Azzurri.

I was living in Italy at the time Camo was picked and all he talked about Argentina and Maradona.

Retegui was about to be picked for Argentina but they never picked him which was when Italy came through.

These guys had absolutely no ties to Italy other than maybe one great grandparent from over 100 years ago and can't even speak Italian.

Camo’s bisnonno came over in 1873 and they are both as Italian as Chef Boyardee's canned ravioli.

questi oriundi non hanno mai visto l'italia.....

se fosse per me, io li manderò tutti a quell'altro paese e non se ne parli più!

3. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    #1653 AGomes, May 17, 2024
    OMG, no.

Yes, Camo worshipped Maradona. True. Which is why Ciro Ferrara called him the night before the Final and had Camoranesi speak to him. Also, pretty sure Camoranesi spoke about rock/ heavy metal a lot more.

But as I wrote at the time, Retegui used Italy just as much as Italy used him. Him accepting the Callup knew it would expedite a move to Europe. Let's not make it seem as if poor poor Retegui was innocent in all this and he was somehow plucked in the middle of the night. His father (also his Agent) is an ex-athlete and knows what's up. Retegui had an Italian passport long before anybody knew of him. Really now, who's using who? Anyhow, both sides seem to be very happy with each other so it's worked out. Jorginho used Italy as well. Left Brazil of all places at age 15 for Italy to pursue a career in football. He used Italy even more than the Italy team used him. Same with Emerson Palmieri though not as young. Also, Retegui was not close to a callup. I can try to look for a source if you want.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Retegui represented Argentina at the youth levels, but the point is, he was never in Italy's plans until Mancio found him because there was a lack of Italian forwards.

5. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    #1655 AGomes, May 17, 2024
    And?

Doesn't change what I just wrote.

Why did Retegui, Soule (looks more indigenous than anything as Camoranesi is) Dybala (who preferred a Polish passport but Poles don't give them away like Italians do), Carlos Agusto, Emerson all get an Italian passport? Why did Luis Suarez (!) of all people try to get one? Italy trying to use them or the other way around? Let's pump the brakes a little on this one.

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I read his dad, Carlos Retegui played field hockey in Sardegna but the point is, they are not Italian.

7. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Va buo.

Relinquish their passports.

8. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Where is @Alex101 to fight this battle? This is his domain.

Vieri's Left Foot repped this.
  9. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    #1659 AGomes, May 17, 2024
    I very much doubt Sardegna or Italy is the place one goes to play Field Hockey.

If it's not football, volleyball and basketball get a lot of foreign players going to Italy. Best volleyball league in the world. Italy NT kinda slipping in men's volleyball these days tho. Only ranked a paltry 3rd best.

10. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Correction: until Mancio found out which players were in Possession of an Italian passport.

They only way Italy can be blamed is if THEY offer a passport and expedite the progress just so a player can play for them. This was NOT the case here or any other time. Retegui had his passport long before Mancio became aware of rjwm

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Will Federico Gatti be featured as a starter or will he even be picked?

12. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Zirkzee isn't even that good. Ok numbers I guess.

13. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    An Italian passport is also an EU passport, which allows them to play in any Euro league without counting against their foreign player restrictions. So it's not only about making themselves eligible for the Italian national team.

calabrese8 and AGomes repped this.
  14. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    If headcase Scamacca puts it together, you won't have to worry about Oriundi. Btw Raspadori most definitely should be called to the team. He has qualities that are really going to be useful at times. Gives us a lot of tactical flexibility. He also has great feet. Napoli managers may be morons for not playing him more but when he's on the field he makes things happen and he's not afraid of big moments.

calabrese8 repped this.
  15. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    A little louder for those in the back!

Because some on this site will have you believe that Italy poached them. These players, through their Agents, got these passports long before the Italy NT ever approached them. They used Italy not the other way around. They inadvertently made themselves available for International football and so some were asked. Some accepted. All parties gained.

16. Gino22

Gino22 Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Apr 14, 2023
    Won’t make the squad

calabrese8 repped this.
  17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So here is the list of 24 so far from Sky.....

Who will be the other 2?

Italia agli Europei 2024: i possibili convocati del CT Spalletti

PORTIERI

• DONNARUMMA
    • VICARIO
    • MERET
    DIFENSORI

• DARMIAN
    • DI LORENZO
    • BASTONI
    • BUONGIORNO
    • MANCINI
    • SCALVINI
    • ACERBI
    • CALAFIORI
    CENTROCAMPISTI

• CAMBIASO
    • BELLANOVA
    • BARELLA
    • JORGINHO
    • CRISTANTE
    • PELLEGRINI
    • FRATTESI
    • DIMARCO
    • LOCATELLI
    ATTACCANTI

• SCAMACCA
    • RETEGUI
    • RASPADORI
    • CHIESA

18. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Probably going to be Politano and Bonaventura

19. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    2 of his Nonni are Italian. You can trace that lineage.

Tell me where in Zirkzee's lineage we can find someone who called him bello di nonna.

20. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    i'm hoping we go someone younger than Jack.

indestructible repped this.
  21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1671 falvo, May 18, 2024
    Last edited: May 18, 2024
    This is such outdated thinking and who really cares about their nonni or bisnonni?

Preki , Roy Wegerle, Hugo Perez , Fernando Clavijo, Tab Ramos had no American bloodline whatsoever and were all born outside of the USA but they all played for the USMNT in World Cups.

Marcos Senna was from Brazil, was granted Spanish citizenship in early 2006 and represented Spain in 2006 and 2008.

Antônio Carlos Zago was from Brazil and Guillermo Franco was born in Argentina and both played for Mexco.

No one ever complained that much and again, if it were up to me, I’d put a limit on how many foreigners are allowed to play.

It’s not up to you or me though and that is why clubs start mostly foreigners on a weekly basis.

This is what it has come to and it is the sad reality.

If you can’t pick Italian players, the next step is picking foreign ones.

Sooner or later or if things continue as they are, CT's. won't have a choice.

If Italian club or national team fans for that matter, especially in Italy don't care where players are from, I doubt it will be an issue.

Maybe it won't happen but either way, I retain Zirkzee is a great player and if Italy has a chance to pick him, of course they should at all costs.

22. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    #1672 AGomes, May 18, 2024
    You've just proved my earlier points:

- Marcos Senna got his citizenship in 2006 at age 30 and he wasn't anywhere the Brazil team. Nor was he a former Youth team player of Brazil (ie; he wasn't on Brazil's radar). His opportunity for an International career was shrinking. Unlike Joshua Zirkzee who is still 22 YO, is very much on the Oranje radar, and was a Under player for them. They know he exists. He has time.

I'd be curious to know who put Marcos Senna up to getting Spanish citizenship, Villarreal to free up a spot, or the Spanish NT so he can play for them.

23. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Q: Is Jack owed a spot in the 26?

Been in and out of the setup so often over the years, has played his share of Qualifiers, but never played in a tournament. Do they owe it to him to be n the team as this is his last chance?

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1674 falvo, May 18, 2024
    Spain still picked Senna and won a Euro with him.

The USMNT also had many non American blood or born players.

I thought you or someone posted earlier in the thread that Holland won’t pick Zirkzee.

If that is the case and he decides to choose, Italy can easily pick him if not this time , than in or for the 2026 WCQ.

25. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Between Gazzetta and Sky's list, as well as Thiago Motta's strange Lineups, perhaps they are correct and Orsolini just isn't good enough.