Senior Team Discussion

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Vieri's Left Foot, Dec 3, 2023.

1. Azzurrifan87

Azzurrifan87 Member+

Frosinone
    Mar 29, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Gnonto is 20

2. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    He looks 40

3. Vieri#9

Vieri#9 Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Oct 22, 2023
    Shit I would start a Morata in a hearbeat when he has more goals then our #1 and #2 striker combined this season! What a joke.

4. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread has been pruned and re-opened. No trolling, the first sign and it will be locked.

calabrese8 and johnny6 repped this.
  5. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thank you.

6. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    What does trolling mean? I've seen people say it so many times, and I actually don't really know what it means.

7. Alex101

Alex101 Member

Mar 15, 2017
    Were not the ones trolling, it's the same Portugese troll that keeps making fake accounts. We shouldnt be punished

Vieri's Left Foot and johnny6 repped this.
  8. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    #58 AGomes, Dec 7, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
    Pietro Tufaro, TCDSB. Addy as well?

Hope it stopped yesterday and it's out of your system. We discuss football here.

9. Azzurrifan87

Azzurrifan87 Member+

Frosinone
    Mar 29, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I admit I reacted to him. Mainly because it amused to compare Italy's legacy with Portugal, all while making fun of England too. Now that I understand what has happened, I won't respond to that stuff anymore.

AGomes repped this.
  10. Rossonero23

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    One of the posters is accusing me of having multiple accounts.
    He's also accused me of racism.
    Not fair Dante

11. Rossonero23

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Vicario howler on the second goal.
    He has to be braver. Show some balls.

12. Alex101

Alex101 Member

Mar 15, 2017
    Vicario and Udogie with brainlapse moment

13. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    #63 AGomes, Dec 7, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
    Alright, I'll bite. What was Vicario supposed to do?

If he attempted to kick it he would have conceded a PK, down to 10 Men, suspension as he clearly would have reached the ball second.

14. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It was a back pass, a terrible one I must say by Udogie which means Vicario wasn't allowed to dive on it. I'll admit I'm not 100% up to date on the rules but I think it would have resulted in a red card and penalty.

Rossonero23 repped this.
  15. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    That's what people are suggesting (that he dive at it). On another site a World Cup winner, no less. Ex Defender to boot. So not suprised that even here some suggest Vicario could have done better. What am I listening to on this Post Match show earlier?

It would have been a Indirect FK from the spot of his handling.

In fact, even if the ball was kicked wide and not bounced off the post, an Indirect FK would have still been the call. But in this case, the Referee was impeccable and played Advantage.

If Vicario smoothers it (hold on to it), same. Indirect FK.

But if he lunges with his feet, he clearly makes contact as he would have arrived second. PK, Sent Off, Suspended for 2 Matches.

Hindsight being 20/20 he should have held on to it. But I looked at it close a few times. Likely wouldn't have been able to and so likely concedes a PK.

This is on Udogie.

16. Azzurrifan87

Azzurrifan87 Member+

Frosinone
    Mar 29, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm on Vicario's side. got a cowardly back pass like only field players could specialize in doing. Dove head first at it on short notice...Tottenham were lucky he got there to make the first play. The English commentator saying he has to braver is just crazy. Also people are assuming that's an easy ball to smother.

being a goalkeeper myself and having been put in that position several times by gutless field players, I would have gotten both legs behind it and forced the player to crunch through the ball. But you need strong legs to do so. and I guess you run the risk of a penalty but only if you are a clown. which most modern goalkeepers are.

17. Vieri#9

Vieri#9 Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Oct 22, 2023
    Chiellini:

"We are leaving Verratti at home because we are trying to start a new cycle, but he’s still one of the best in the world. I hope, like Jorginho, that he can come back because he is the right player for the coach. Then our midfield is really good, Jorginho, Verratti, Barella, Locatelli, Pellegrini, Frattesi."

I know no one wants to give Marco another chance, but I hope they do keep an eye on him. Imagine a midfield of him, Locatelli, and Barella. They would never lose the ball!

18. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    I normally would say we have to turn the page on a guy like Verratti, especially since we have to start preparing for WC26. But, if we are thin there because of injuries, I would keep an open mind about it.

calabrese8 repped this.
  19. Rossonero23

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Unless they play spain.

20. Rossonero23

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Udogie wasn't impressive. Give me Manuel Pasqual anyday.

21. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Right. Which is why you wrote Vicario and no mention of Udogie.

22. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Meanwhile Aston Villa hand the European Champions a Loss. At times Villa dominated them. They are really missing Gundo and KDB. City were OK with Possession but Villa were superior.

Zaniolo was rooted to the bench. No wonder they looked great. Which probably means he'll stay there for the time being. Gonna really need Berardi and Politano to arrive at the EC in form.

23. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Zaniolo, he just hasn't been the same since that run with multiple injuries but his head isn't there either.

24. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Villa also have Pau Torres at CB. That guy is a powerhouse back there.

Spain could very well go with him at the EC. Italy will have their work cut out for them. Maybe Llorente of Roma.

25. Vieri's Left Foot

Roma
    Italy
    Jun 8, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It seems Chiellini views Pellegrini as the first-choice mezzala, when healthy. He's not wrong, but Pellegrini has had a rough 18 months, or so. Based on how Bonaventura is playing, he should be on the Euro 2024 squad, regardless of who else is healthy.

Assuming Verratti isn't back in the mix, I'd be happy to see a Bonaventura-Barella-Locatelli midfield, as others have suggested, recently. It's a good balance.

If Spalletti brings Verratti back into the fold, and Pellegrini returns to health and form, maybe the midfield could be Pellegrini-Barella-Verratti(?), or Jorginho in the deep role. I don't know. It would be nice to have options to mix-and-match from this group:
    • Barella
    • Frattesi
    • Locatelli
    • Pellegrini
    • Bonaventura
    • Verratti
    • Jorginho
    • Cristante
    There's several combinations from that group (the pure midfielders, excluding the wingbacks) that would comprise a stout midfield-3.

Question: Anyone have insight into how Rovella is coming along? Any chance he'll force himself into this conversation?

Doogs repped this.