Senior Team Discussion

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Vieri's Left Foot, Dec 3, 2023.

1. Vieri's Left Foot

Roma
    Italy
    Jun 8, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    With Berardi out, Colpani should get consideration. He's been ice cold for the last couple months, but he's a winger who can finish.

On Zaniolo... is he really the answer to any of Italy's questions? He's absolutely sucked, this year.

2. Vieri#9

Vieri#9 Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Oct 22, 2023
    What a f-ing blow, I am so mad. He wouldve been our starting RW.

What I think we will do now is a 3-5-2 with Chiesa and one of our CFs playing next to him up top.

3. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Berardi’s injury doesn’t hurt Italy at all

4. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    We are never going to agree on this, it seems. Despite their low goal totals, I'd really prefer it if our CF's play that role at the tournament and not modify duties of Chiesa and Frattesi. If it fails, then so be it. They will have gained international experience for the time WCQ'fiers commence. The truth of the matter is, Italy doesn't have to win the next European Championships. We've made 3 Finals in it this century. Italy do however have to qualify to the next World Cup and reach the SF at least. This is the hill I am prepared to die on.

Also, ahead of 1990, Italy struggled to score goals. Only the late Gianluca Vialli had decent numbers and out of nowhere other stepped up. If we give them service, they will be fine.

5. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    @Mean Machine

If you had to take 1 player between Colpani and Zaniolo, who would it be?

6. Non Venite in Puglia

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 26, 2021
    Almost agree.

Di Lorenzo has not had a great season. Still a solid player in that position, but I think Bellanova, given his form, presents more of an attacking option down the right hand side to compliment DiMarco’s silky left foot and crossing ability. Di Lorenzo is still a good option off the bench and useful for the NT. He offers lockdown defending and could be used while a game is in progress to help secure a result; but his offensive contributions have been suspect this year.

Again, in my opinion, Pellegrini supplants Bonaventura in the attacking midfielder/support striker role based on form alone. I suppose Frattesi could useful in that position alongside either Pellegrini or Bonaventura because he covers a lot of ground on the defensive side and still gets forward and inserts himself in the box. However, I think Spalletti should use Chiesa in that support striker role (with Pellegrini) and tell him his starting position is out wide when we are in possession. We need a bomber. This isn’t 2008-2012–the false nine shit doesn’t work. Retegui is the man for the job as our lone striker right now.

Vieri's Left Foot repped this.
  7. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    I haven’t seen much of Colpani but I’d probably pick him. I have not been impressed with Zaniolo and he’s not even getting much playing time these days.

8. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Don’t forget we can also play Cambiaso as RWB. And even Darmian can go there and we can use someone else in CB like Scalvini, Rugani, or Romagnoli. Di Lorenzo I think will be better now that Napoli just switched coaches. I also wonder how Calabria would do there? Might be better as RWB with a back 3 rather than RB in a back 4 like at Milan.

To be honest, I don’t even think Chiesa would be considered as completely a false 9. He’s played there before. Just like how Messi and Neymar have played as a number 9 in the past and did well although it’s not their primary position. I also wouldn’t even mind testing out Frattesi as a false 9.

If we’ll use a regular striker I’d probably take either Retegui or Scamacca but neither have been that impressive at club level.

9. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    #659 AGomes, Mar 4, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
    Apparently Tuttosport wrote recently that Bellanova will be capped in these 2 Friendlies.

Gonna be a nice battle between Cambiaso (seems like Cambiaso is exclusively on the Right side this season) and Bellanova for this spot in the coming years. Not far fetched to say Calabria falls further down the pecking order. Even at Milan, the little that I have seen, Florenzi is still getting his fair of Minutes over Calabria. What a delusion Calabria's been.

I didn't even know Bellanova was a Milan youth product until 2 days ago when I saw him in Milan gear taking a picture with CR7, then of Juve.

Vieri's Left Foot repped this.
  10. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    To another point that was mentioned, didn't really think of it -- likely will be 1 spot between Jack and Pellegrini.

Just shows how things can change in a season. Jack had a great first half of the season while Pellegrini was riding pine under Mou.

While there is no room for sentiments, would feel bad if Jack didn't go after he helped in Qualifiers and this is surely his last chance to go to a tournament. OTOH, sentiment also for Pellegrini as he had made the 2020(21) team only to pull out with injury. Gaetano Castrovilli had to leave his vacation early to join the team.

11. Vieri#9

Vieri#9 Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Oct 22, 2023
    He wouldve been a starter for us, so yes it does.

AGomes repped this.
  12. Vieri#9

Vieri#9 Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Oct 22, 2023
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/italian-serie-a/top-scorers/assists

Stats say otherwise about Di Lorenzo.

He is our captain as well. He will start.

13. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Has Di Lorenzo ever worn the Italy Armband?

Bonucci is the last Captain. Not really declared, he just got it de facto after being Vice to Chiellini for years.

Since he's not been called since June 2023, it's usually been worn by Gigio by and large. Spalletti has not annointed anybody Captain, that I recall. Gigio just has worn it so I guess he's it.

Of note, I do recall in the past like when Cannavaro got it after Maldini's retirement, there was an official announcement of sorts but I've not seen it this time.

14. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Serie A Berardi and Italy Berardi are different human beings

johnny6 repped this.
  15. Vieri's Left Foot

Roma
    Italy
    Jun 8, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Why not bring both? Italy needs everyone capable of scoring, and Jack and Lorenzo are up there with any of the forwards.

16. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    According to "Il Resto del Carlino", Riccardo Calafiori is among Luciano Spalletti’s pre-call squad for this month’s international break vs Venezuela & Ecuador.

New BBC: Bastoni, Buongiorno, Calafiori.

17. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Balotelli just returned from injury. Just saying.

Rossonero23 repped this.
  18. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    #668 AGomes, Mar 4, 2024
    Oh man. I'd like to move on from a player first taken to a tournament 12 Years ago. Will just seem like a step backwards neglecting the bigger picture (all out for 2026). Prefer to take the two 24 YO's (Raspadori and Retegui) and 25 YO Scamacca. Plus Balo's only played 9 matches. 5 goals is a good return but the Turkish Championship isn't valued that highly. To me it should be top 4 Leagues (England, Spain, Italy Germany) + PSG. He would have to be healthy from here on out and produce 1 goal every 2 matches plus injuries to others to be considered.

EDIT TO ADD: for Argentina, different because Di Maria (Benfica) and Messi (MLS) are at Legend & GOAT status, respectively. CR7 as well.

19. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    What could of been.

20. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    People have short memories around here.

21. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    His miss against MKD in Palermo aside, what other time has he cost Italy?

Even if advanced, still had to play Portugal.

Qualification was lost in the 0-0 in Basel. We were so superior to Switzerland that day. The return match in Rome was a fair Result (Draw) but again, Jorginho.

Should have let Bonucci take them.

22. Vieri#9

Vieri#9 Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Oct 22, 2023
    Berardi was prolly going to be our penalty kick taker as well, he has a very impressive record, 54/62. Now who can we trust to take them? Please NO to Jorginho.

23. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    #673 AGomes, Mar 4, 2024
    Pellegrini used to be Roma's but they are riding Dybala's hot hand. Occasionally use Lukaku and Paredes as well. Has Pellegrini even taken a PK this season? He was on the bench early on.

Chiesa is 2nd at Juve.

Politano and Raspadori after Osimhen at Napoli who has a less than impressive record. Used to be Insigne. I think Dries Mertens before that.

Orsolini is 2nd to Zirkzee. Usually those he wins. Orosolini takes Bologna's corners and FK's.

Retegui is 2nd to Albert Gudmundssen at Genoa, apparently.

Pessina, Immobile, Candreva, Caputo, Cambiaghi are for their teams but they won't go.

24. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    #674 AGomes, Mar 4, 2024
    Right Side

Anyways, I'm curious to see if Spalletti goes through with it and gets off the stale 4-3-3 and see how this 3-4-2-1 while in Possession looks like. TBH, can't picture it. Besides Orosolini and Politano who should be front runners, I am curious to see how he treats Frattesi. No False 9, Mean Machine. I want to see him as either a mezzala next to Cambiaso in the wingback system. OR the Right side in the 2 of the 3-4-2-1

Trashing Berardi. But in September when we played on that cowpatch in Skopje, didn't Politano gift MKD their best chance? In fact he was so brutal that he was removed at HT. Never seen this happen to Berardi in Azzurro. I get it, he's not flashy, sometimes wears black boots instead of pink or yellow ones but he is Italy’s best Right Winger. Orosolini, seems like a good teammate. Always smiling and happy but sometimes he does foolish things. Trying some audacious chip when the chance isn't even there.

A name rarely mentioned here but he usually sees the pitch, usually as a Starter, is Bryan Cristante.

Just need to see how it looks.

25. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    ********ing predictive spelling: "Orsolini"

Spelt it wrong once and it's memorized.