Senior Team Discussion

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Vieri's Left Foot, Dec 3, 2023.

1. Vieri#9

Vieri#9 Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Oct 22, 2023
    How can the Inter defense cut down the goals when they only have allowed 12 so far this season?! BBC typically let in 23 goals a season, Inter defense is WAY ahead of that mark right now and they have been super impressive which is why Acerbi and Bastoni will start for us.

2. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    #627 AGomes, Mar 2, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
    You tell me why then that collectively the Italy team conceded all thoae goals in 2023? It's not just the Defenders that have to defend of course.

If I heard correctly, 2023 was the year the Italy team conceded the most goals in their history.

All I'm writing is, unless they collectively play better Defence or get a formation that works, it will be difficult in this Group with Spain, Croatia, and Albania.

I read back my message. I didn't compare Inters current Defence to Juve's BBC. Italy backline with the BBC was more settled. With Italy currently we were playing 4-3-3 despite most of our clubs who provide players who play a 3-5-2. Obviously not the same as we've seen Buongiorno & Scalvini play. It's not like Inters Defence is Italy's Defence. Besides the formation being different, Di Lorenzo is preferred to Darmian. Also, Di Vrij and Bisseck occassionally play. If anything I complimented Inters defenders.

3. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Alessandro Bastoni in February:

• vs Juventus: 7.4 ⭐
    • vs Roma: 7.8 ⭐⚽
    • vs Salernitana: 8.0 ⭐
    • vs Atalanta: 7.8 ⭐
    • 4 Matches = Conceded 2 Goals

He Was Not Nominated for Man of the Month Award.

Up until now he's not done anything special with Italy, at the age to assert himself.

4. Vieri#9

Vieri#9 Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Oct 22, 2023
    The little I have seen of Bastoni, he has been underwhelming for us. He is having a killer season for Inter, so hopefully he brings that form to the national team this time around. The Italian trio of Darmian Acerbi Bastoni have started the most games for Inter. Darmian sometimes as a RWB, he shouldnt be starting for us but will definetely make the team as the versatile Toloi spot. Acerbi and Bastoni should be starters and both Gatti and Buongiorno play in a back 3 as well. They played exceptionally well against Ukraine I thought as they were bombarded all game. If they can carry their league form to the national team, our defense will be set.

AGomes repped this.
  5. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    #630 AGomes, Mar 2, 2024
    Definitely underwhelming. 2021 NL SF versus Spain comes to mind. Even more this idiot was laughing about it the next day when the journalist talked to him about it. Couldn't believe it.

When Acerbi is done with the NT (after Euro's), IMO need to go with Bastoni & Buongiorno. Two 6'3" 24 YO's. They would work in a 3-man D, not sure if they can work together in a flat 4 as both play on the LEFT side of CB. Always preferred the CB's to be similar in age to grow in experience together.

Also, even if it was against Juve, Bastoni celebrating a defensive clearance practically in McKennie's face a few weeks shows that he growing in confidence.

Now in a 4 man Defence, Bastoni over Buongiorno if one cannot play on the Right side of CB, partnered with Calafiori. To me he is above Scalvini currently.

6. Vieri's Left Foot

Roma
    Italy
    Jun 8, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Pellegrini continues his tear. De Rossi might be the unsung hero of the national team with how he's revived Pellegrini.

7. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    It's pretty clear from my messages that I just don't trust Acerbi. Is he a difference-maker? Considering Inter are just as good with DeVrij, I'd say a resounding NO. IMO, remove Acerbi and put Buongirono and we improve. Only lack of experience together is the downside.

8. Vieri#9

Vieri#9 Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Oct 22, 2023
    Buongiorno and Bastoni could definitely work well in a 4 man defense, dont put much stock in preferred foot thingy. If its a 3 man, you also could have Gatti or Mancini battling with the youngsters of Calafiori and Scalvini for that 3rd spot.

Thankfully we have a lot of CB depth. :) Im more curious who our future RB/RWB and RW will be when Di Lorenzo and Berardi hang it up. Tonali will prolly partner a Locatelli Barella midfield if he regains his form.

9. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    #634 AGomes, Mar 2, 2024
    I'm telling you, this guy is a rock back there. An absolute talent unknown outside of Italy. If you watch this league this is not news.

Buongiorno has missed about 6-8 Weeks due to injury. Probably more, open to correction, anybody. First match back, and he plays the full 90 Minutes. I was surprised as I thought they would ease him in but instead he goes all 90 despite being down to 10.

Torino down to 10 for exactly half the match. Sofa Score Rating has him 2nd best performer on Torino, a 0.1 score less than the RB they have. Another site has him as the best performer on both sides. RB is second.

OK, for more traditional Pagelle as is done in Italy. Eurosport.it has him as a 7 (highest Torino player). Ditto Firenzetoday. A 7 and the highest rated player. Gazzetta unknown as they want a subscription.

All this young man has been doing for almost 2 Years now is put up great individual performances. His Ratings have been amongst the best in Europe as seen in the 2023 End of Year Rating.

Spalletti and Staff needs to be watching this and observing close in Training later this month. For me, Acerbi out, Buongiorno in.

Vieri's Left Foot repped this.
  10. Vieri#9

Vieri#9 Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Oct 22, 2023
    I trust you bro and the little Ive seen of Buongiorno, I can see he is solid. He also plays the leader position of a back 3, so Spalleti will most likely try it out in 1 of the upcoming games. How do you rate Gatti, I know he is slow but he is a Juve favorite and plays the RCB.

11. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Love-hate with Gatti.

A little too high strung for my liking. Physical, borderline stuff. I do appreciate that he came from the bottom just a few years ago to reach this level.

With only 20 (23 when you include the mandatory 3 GK's) players to chose from, Gatti may be left off.

As you hinted, I too believe Gianluca Mancini & Gatti for 1 spot, Scalvini & Calafiori for 1 spot. Advantage Gatti & Scalvini.

Buongiorno and his tensor bandage need to be there!

12. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    #637 AGomes, Mar 2, 2024
    Also just realized that Buongiorno, despite less Appearances and the fact that he's a CB, has the same amount of goals as Raspadori.

Before his injury he made the most interceptions in the league, joint-sixth in Serie A for successful tackles, joint-tenth for clearances.

Add to that he has Under NT experience. This guy has to be a part of this team.

13. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #638 johnny6, Mar 3, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
    Berardi came back today from Injury and ruptured his achilles tendon. He's done.

14. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    #639 AGomes, Mar 3, 2024
    Just ********ing fantastic. As if goals weren't hard enough to come by as it were. Berardi is still the highest scoring Italian in league play despite missing over a month.

Just when I thought there was no use tracking Zaniolo's progress anymore as he'll never take that next step in quality, his name will stay out there.

Orsolini at this point is a given. Other option is to do what Mancio did and put Chiesa on the Right. Which would mean Zaccagni or El Sha on the Left. Used to be so big on Politano but good performances are scarse with each passing week. An Orsolini-Politano platoon gives me zero confidence.

At Euro 2020(21), Berardi was the incumbent on the right side. Chiesa just won the spot from him outright at the tournament. But you just know Zaniolo could never have done this had it been Berardi/Zaniolo.

Still trying to picture what Lucio said about going to a 3-4-2-1 while in Possession and how that would work. Berardi would have been perfect. ********.

15. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    He's still only 29 so I would have started the next cycle with him as well.

Since he's gone for 6 Months, add time on top of that for fitness, he'll miss September and likely October UNL. At earliest, November 2024.

Need Sebastiano Esposito!

16. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    64 Minutes played and a Win by Pafundi and Lausanne.

17. Pambiero

Pambiero Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Mar 21, 2021
    I couldn’t believe it when I read the Berardi news! What a bad luck! What a loss! We already had a problem in the attack! What about now?

Unfortunately I fear we lose Berardi for the future too! See what happened with Spina! He has never overcome the same injury after the winning Euro!

18. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Many comments about the Berardi injury on other platforms aren't the least bit concerned about it. In fact, most were saying Italy is better without him.

Of course these comments never did offer alternatives. Just trashing every player around is so much easier. His Goals and Assists are not going to be easily replaced. While I agree he is more valuable to Sassuolo than Italy, club form is a big part of it.

Somebody bubble-wrap Nicolò Barella.

19. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
  20. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    I do need to say though that on some occasions losing players to injury can mean successful tournament results.

In 2006, Vieri was supposed to go to the World Cup and likely start but got injured. We won the whole thing.

In 2014, Gundogan and Reus were starting players for Germany but got injured and were out of the World Cup squad. They won the World Cup.

In 2016, Ronaldo got injured in the Final and had to go off. Portugal won the thing. We were also missing tons of key players due to injury: Marchisio, Verratti, Candreva (in the first match), etc. We made the quarters and performed really well.

In 2020, Eriksen got injured and had to leave the tournament. Denmark made the semifinals. Also Spinnazola for us got injured in the quarterfinals and couldn’t continue (he was our best player in the euros). We won the tournament.

In 2022, France were missing: Pogba, Benzema, Kante, and quite a few others I can’t think of off the top of my head. France made the finals. Many people were extremely concerned about the injury crisis heading into the tournament. Also for Argentina, LoCelso was one of their best midfielders and missed the tournament through injury; they won the thing.

AGomes repped this.
  21. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    #646 AGomes, Mar 3, 2024
    Am watching Atalanta vs Bologna.

Calafiori playing his 3rd different position across the backline this season. This from a 21 YO who started the season on the bench! Can't believe Roma developed him and just gave him up.

Speaking of the bench, Scamacca on it. Hope to see some Minutes from him.

EDIT: Calafiori mainly covering Mario Pasalic but just know had a good duel with Lookman, getting tight and forcing him back.

@Mean Machine, France were also missing Mike Maignan who would have played ahead of Hugo Lloris who was already 2nd choice to Magic Mike.

22. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Now this is where Frattesi comes in, no?

23. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Was Lloris second choice by that time? I wasn't sure.

24. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Yes.

25. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Honestly without Berardi, here is what I hope to see. Spalletti talked a lot about a 3-4-2-1 formation.

So Bastoni, Acerbi, and Darmian in the back. MAYBE Scalvini in place of Darmian depending on circumstances. DiMarco and Di Lorenzo out wide. Locatelli and Barella in the middle (maybe Jorginho for Locatelli?). Frattesi and Bonaventura as attacking midfielders with Chiesa as a false number 9.