Senior Team Discussion

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Vieri's Left Foot, Dec 3, 2023.

1. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Scamacca: I've been telling you guys for years he has a 10 cent head. Immense physical attributes but lacks the focus needed to be elite.

Chiesa: A player like him is rare in world football. So what does Allegri do? Ask him to track back and waste energy like he's Angelo Di Livio. It's just stupid. Anyone who has played the sport knows that you can't drain your striking talent with too many defensive duties. Chiesa is a team guy first but the role is stupid for him. Spalletti doesn't expect that of him and it's no wonder he is way more dangerous in Azzurro. He'll be there this summer and he'll be starting. No doubt about that.

Zaniolo: Head case as I've always said. Lacks work ethic. Want no part of him.

Bellanova: He's surprised me. He's always had tons of pace with those long legs, but his final touch usually kept him from being elite. He seems to be correcting that. He's been playing REALLY well. Teams can't man mark him because of his speed so they are doubling him on that side. It opens up a ton for the rest of the team. I would STRONGLY consider bringing him this summer.

2. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    #602 AGomes, Feb 28, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
    I really don't think we will have many Uncapped players make the EC team, if at all.

Some wanting Bove, me wanting Calafiori, others Bellanova. Then there is Cambiaso.

I do believe he will stick to the players that got him there, although Spalletti's recent comment of "Calafiori and Bove are practically on the team" say they have a chance.

Obviously the March window will reveal a lot. Although a player like Calafiori could play in the March window, he could just be a placeholder until Buongiorno returns.

Indeed, if slightly over 30 players were used in Qualifiers, obviously some will not make the cut. Thinking El Sha aboveall. Truthfully, even Jack hasn't been as good as he was before Christmas. Say nothing of Andrea Colpani. My guy's just disappeared in the Ritorno.

3. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Team Building

Not sure if Spalletti is one of these Managers that believe in this but Frattesi and Scamacca are best friends. Here's hoping Frattesi's presence gives Scamacca a boost. Not to make excuses for him but by all accounts he had a pretty bad childhood because of a deadbeat dad

4. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Italy need a Lautaro. A Crack!

5. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    I so wish we had him!

Rossonero23 repped this.
  6. Vieri#9

Vieri#9 Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Oct 22, 2023
    Ive always loved Lautaro, even when he was getting no mins in the World Cup, he was better than any other CF we had.

Its really been since Euro 2012 that Ive felt good for our forwards lineup.

I am at the point if our CFs this tourney blow it, give a young Camarda a shot for the World Cup quals. He is a teenager but if we dont have a guaranteed scorer, we need to exhaust all other options even if they are no ideal. The goals he is scoring in the U19 league are Ibra-esque.

7. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    He's played 1 match in the league and you could tell if you watched it, it was a bridge too far.

Also, prefer Haaland or Kane.

8. Alex101

Alex101 Member

Mar 15, 2017
    I just hope he does turn Into Cutrone. We have been cursed for strikers. So much depth 15 years ago, most of them would barely get a cap too.

But also back than 140 Italians were starting on average, now it's 75-80.

Attached Files:

9. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Could very well give the 3 CF's he brings 1 match each to start.

So far Raspadori has started 4 of the 6 under Lucio, Scamacca 1 and was it Immobile the other?

Retegui was called up for 2 of the 6 matches under Lucio, missed 4 due to that knee injury.

10. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Scamacca did have a loser dad for sure. But, at a certain point, you've got to show mental backbone and focus or the sport will eat you up.

11. Vieri#9

Vieri#9 Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Oct 22, 2023
    Imagine Di Natale with this team.....

12. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    @'Uaglio

So leave Scamacca at home altogether?

Raspadori, Pinamonti, Retegui your 3?

13. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Maybe Nicolò Zaniolo should still be taken afterall. I mean, Gio Reyna is still a part of the USA team and he gets even less Minutes than Zaniolo.

Boh. Jokes aside. I just realized that the squad size is back to 23. I thought it was still 26.

The recent AFCON had 27-man squads but on match days, 4 players had to be sent to the Pressbox. I think the recent Asian Cup as well.

So if 3 have to be GK's, it's 2 players per position. Article today on GDS saying how Chiesa's EC spot is at risk. Probably coinciding with Alex Sandro hurting him today in Training.

This changes everything. Less fringe players, less risks to be taken.

IMO, only Chiesa should be taken at 50/50. His backup would have to be reliable in being available each day if Chiesa cannot. Kinda rules out Zaccagni as he too is a sick note. Jack might get the spot on this alone as he's usually fit. He can play across all MF positions but I do believe he's been primarliy on the Right this season.

Zaniolo, albeit healthy this year, his issue is known. Orsolini has to be there and it really should be Berardi platooning with him on the Right.

In short, with squads at 23, there is no way Zaniolo can be taken.

14. Vieri#9

Vieri#9 Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Oct 22, 2023
    I hear Donna is a human wall at PSG, so glad we always have a world class goalie protecting our goal!

AGomes repped this.
  15. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    #615 AGomes, Mar 1, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
    You got that right. As Vicario in the PL, Gigio is the leader in Expected Goals/Saves Ranking in Ligue 1. Gigio and the GK ranked 2nd are far above the 3rd placed GK.

Gigio is 3rd in Saves Percentage, however Gigio's body of work is greater as he plays every match. The GK who is in 1st Place has 4 Stops on 4 Shots. 2nd Place GK is 10/12.

Brazil has Allison and Ederson as a solid 1-2. Absolutely ELITE GK'ing. Honestly, Italy give up absolutely nothing with Gigio and Vicario. Add to that Michele Di Gregorio as a solid 3rd. Tanta roba.

16. Vieri#9

Vieri#9 Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Oct 22, 2023
    If our CFs dont work out, we could try this lineup:

---------Buongiorno Acerbi Bastoni
    Di Lorenzo Barella Locatelli Jack Dimarco
    -----------------------Berardi Chiesa

17. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    They would only do that in the likelihood there were no CF's available.

Like the time it happened with Juve ahead of a UCL match against Chelsea they put Chiesa and Bernardeschi. IIRC Chiesa scoring from a Berna Assist. Won, IIRC.

18. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    I was saying this all along ages ago!

19. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    CT Mean Machine.

Won't happen unless they are at the tournament and our CF's all get injured or suspended. But to go into the tournament with this in mind?

All it takes is somebody to get on a heater at the tournament.

Keep in mind our first option at CF in 2016 was Graziano Pelle who finished with 11 Goals at Southampton.

20. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    #620 AGomes, Mar 2, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
    For me, been thinking about Jorginho's role in this team. 6 Months ago I would have said he was done in Azzurro. Amongst 2 of the most impressive Arsenal wins this season was when Jorgi pulled the strings (a roll back to his late Napoli and early CFC years). When he was out of the Lineup like at Sporting Lisbon, they didn't even get a Shot on Goal. The way he and Declan Rice work together is something Lucio is going to have to get out of Locatelli. Lucio has said he and his Staff watch every match that the Italy players play in, they need to figure it out.

Also the Defence. Not enough experience together. Probably why leaked so many goals in 2023. As individuals they have performed excellent but not with Italy. Buongiorno had amongst the highest Ratings at CB Europe-wide last season. This from a mid table Torino side. This isn't a player Spalletti just plucked out of nowhere. Performances. He needs to get back playing. The Inter Defenders, thankfully have experience together and Dimarco is an elite wingback, but they don't hold a candle to the Juve BBC. Need to cut down on goals conceded or they will go nowhere.

21. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Pellegrini on a heater. On his weaker foot too. Quite amazed how differently DDR and Mou set them up.

Saw some of the Tottenham vs Palace match. Vicario bailed out a Defensive blunder by their CB and overall did the job from the little I saw (20 Minutes). Commanding presence for his teammates.

Vieri's Left Foot repped this.
  22. nunzio23

nunzio23 Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jul 16, 2021
    I want to see a fully healthy Pellegrini in a major tournament as i truly believe he is one of the most talented Italian players. An in form, fully healthy Pellegrini can play on any team in the world imo. He just always has some kind of nagging injury that sets him back. I see him in the midfield 3 on the left side with Jorgi and Barella as of now...

Vieri's Left Foot repped this.
  23. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  24. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Zaniolo subbed on in the 80th Minute with the score level. Villa go ahead, he has no part in the goal for the most part. Gets Booked in the 92nd Minute. IIIRC, his 6th Booking of the season. Seems kinda high for a Forward that doesn't feature much.

No Thanks. I hope Spalletti see's that he offers absolutely nothing.

indestructible repped this.
  25. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    #625 AGomes, Mar 2, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
    Alessandro Buongiorno is back.

Not sure how many Minutes they give him on this first match back. Torino looking good, superior to Fiorentina. We are blasting Italian CF's for low goal totals but to think Antonio Sanabria is Paraguay's first choice. Worse than our top 5 CF's. What kind of technique was that just now? LOL